Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ours didn't start getting paid until this last year. But we're paid $20/hour, so this summer being the only ambassador was awesome
Whoa! A couple summers, I worked in the clin path lab at the school and when walk-ins would come in for a tour admissions would just call me because they knew I was there and I could almost always slip out of work for an hour. Yay being double paid. But man $20 is nice!

Reactions: 1 user
Whoa! A couple summers, I worked in the clin path lab at the school and when walk-ins would come in for a tour admissions would just call me because they knew I was there and I could almost always slip out of work for an hour. Yay being double paid. But man $20 is nice!

I have never been so glad for those who visit the school of they're applying here or if they were accepted and didn't get a good tour on interview day. Lol

It also makes up for getting only a tour a month during the school year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got our schedule for the semester. Dangggg. ;-)

Reactions: 3 users
Packed. Moved out. On vacation. :banana:

Reactions: 7 users
Hopefully classes aren't too early!

Haha so I figured out that my calendar was in central time and not eastern time!!! Yay for no 6:30 am classes

Haha so I figured out that my calendar was in central time and not eastern time!!! Yay for no 6:30 am classes
Oh that's great!!!! Hahaha 7:30 is much more reasonable that 6:30 (but still omg that's early). We start at 9 almost every day. :cool: That makes me very happy.

We just got our Davis schedule yesterday and I thought I had 12pm-8pm classes every day until I realized my calendar was on eastern time

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WHY DON'T YOU BRAG ABOUT IT SOME MORE

Yeah I agree ;):p when do you guys get done @cdoconn? For ours, the calendar varies almost every week with exams and other things so in my opinion it's not bad at all. I often had semesters in undergrad with 4/5 classes back to back a day. It's just the amount of studying on top of class that freaks me out a little bit. We start at 7:30/8 every day and end as early as 3:20 or 4:45.

Yeah I agree ;):p when do you guys get done @cdoconn? For ours, the calendar varies almost every week with exams and other things so in my opinion it's not bad at all. I often had semesters in undergrad with 4/5 classes back to back a day. It's just the amount of studying on top of class that freaks me out a little bit. We start at 7:30/8 every day and end as early as 3:20 or 4:45.
One day we get out at 2!!! :O but for the most part, since it also varies with exams/quizzes, it's between 3 and 5. Looks like it'll be more like 4 or 5 though.

Oh that's great!!!! Hahaha 7:30 is much more reasonable that 6:30 (but still omg that's early). We start at 9 almost every day. :cool: That makes me very happy.

Same with us (until our clinical quarter)!! :highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
Just wait until the other classes start at 8 and you don't have any parking.

You go full gunner and arrive at 7 am.
Wasn't there someone who was talking about people who arrived the night before their first day of classes to make sure they got a good seat? I can't remember who.

You go full gunner and arrive at 7 am.
okay but you say that like it'd be the worst thing. That's only 2 hours before class starts. I've had to do similar before (shoutout to deafness and having to sit in a particular location because of it)
Wasn't there someone who was talking about people who arrived the night before their first day of classes to make sure they got a good seat? I can't remember who.
I feel like that was @rockatiel who was telling us that.

I remember this as well. Maybe it's in a PM discussion?

Also reminds me of someone in my old class. She told our first professor that she would show up an hour before every class. Professor said, "Well, we come to you so there's really no point," completely deadpan. After that point, I showed up early only because of work.

I remember this as well. Maybe it's in a PM discussion?

Also reminds me of someone in my old class. She told our first professor that she would show up an hour before every class. Professor said, "Well, we come to you so there's really no point," completely deadpan. After that point, I showed up early only because of work.

I had a couple classmates that did arrive in the 5-6am range almost every day, but I believe they both had young children at home and preferred to study in the mornings so they could be home with their families in the evenings without 'guilt.'

I had a couple classmates that did arrive in the 5-6am range almost every day, but I believe they both had young children at home and preferred to study in the mornings so they could be home with their families in the evenings without 'guilt.'

People with families during vet school are the MVPs of vet school.

Reactions: 8 users
Do vet schools give a lot of homework or is it mainly studying for quizzes and exams?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do vet schools give a lot of homework or is it mainly studying for quizzes and exams?

Mainly studying. I actually can't think of any real assignments we had during first year. That of course depends on your school but I think for most it holds true.

Hmm so I just realized I have to take a written exam to get my driver's license in my new state. I haven't taken one of those in 12 years. This should be interesting...

Hmm so I just realized I have to take a written exam to get my driver's license in my new state. I haven't taken one of those in 12 years. This should be interesting...
Look at fine amounts first! Those are the least intuitive questions. What is the fine for speeding in a school zone? This $ amount, or this one, or this one? I dunno, I just drive like a responsible person and don't speed . . .

Oh how I lie, I speed all the time, just not in school zones

I took it this summer. Failed the first time. Study the sign shape/color meanings. You can only miss 3 signs or else you fail. Theres online practice tests for IN too that were super helpful!

Mostly studying. We had some case study stuff here and there, but that's it.

Mainly studying. I actually can't think of any real assignments we had during first year. That of course depends on your school but I think for most it holds true.
I forgot, we do have "assignments" during our case study weeks. Basically just researching your particular topic each day.

During first year, I'd occasionally show up at around 6 AM, but it was because I find that I am a more effective studier in the mornings vs. nights and I liked being in an empty room with nothing to distract me. Nothing to do with seats or anything. :shrug:
My friends also sometimes get to school early to study just because they're weird morning people. :p They'll often invite me to study with them at like 8 am on a Saturday, and I'll say "ummm, I might come in around 11." And then they look at me like I'm crazy when I say I stayed up until 2 the night before, it's fun. :laugh:

I sometimes got to school at 4am...

... before tests. When I was pulling all nighters. :p otherwise it was a couple minutes before lecture. if I showed up.

Mostly studying. Though there were the occasional paper, group work, or odd "assignment." I think at your school, where you have quite a bit of pbl (called A&I), that most of your homework might consist of "learning issues," which is researching what you don't know about the case and then reporting back to your group.

Moving day makes it feel more real

Reactions: 15 users
My friends also sometimes get to school early to study just because they're weird morning people. :p They'll often invite me to study with them at like 8 am on a Saturday, and I'll say "ummm, I might come in around 11." And then they look at me like I'm crazy when I say I stayed up until 2 the night before, it's fun. :laugh:
Oh man that happened with my friends all the time. "Alright, we'll get there around 8 to get a study room blah blah blah" and me, "Umm...yeah I'll be there eventually."

Oh man that happened with my friends all the time. "Alright, we'll get there around 8 to get a study room blah blah blah" and me, "Umm...yeah I'll be there eventually."
All of my friends/ study buddies were early risers so for all of our test day cram sessions we would get to school at 6 and I would've still gone to bed at my standard 3. So it was rough hahaha

Sleep is for the weak
giphy.gif

I have officially moved into my new apartment and I've already learned a few things about my surroundings:
1) my cat hates it here and has decided to live behind the washer
2) there is a liquor store within 7 min of my place
3) there are a lot of Christian radio stations and several billboards telling me where I'm going when I die

This place is the best.

How is everyone else liking thier new states?

Reactions: 8 users
I have officially moved into my new apartment and I've already learned a few things about my surroundings:
1) my cat hates it here and has decided to live behind the washer
2) there is a liquor store within 7 min of my place
3) there are a lot of Christian radio stations and several billboards telling me where I'm going when I die

This place is the best.

Where are you from? Lol hope your kitty likes it better soon. I've never noticed the billboards before. Can't wait for orientation!

This place is the best.

Favorite billboard from near where @finnickthedog lives "Lust Drags you down to Hell" riiiiiiight as you're getting on the highway entrance ramp :rofl:

Update: I found a picture of the billboard online

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Favorite billboard from near where @finnickthedog lives "Lust Drags you down to Hell" riiiiiiight as you're getting on the highway entrance ramp :rofl:

View attachment 222280
My favorite billboard is for I-35, a huge interstate that has been under major construction for at least 10 years. Likely will be much longer than that. It runs north-south through a lot of major cities from the Texas/ Mexico border to the top of Minnesota. And wherever you go on I-35 is a disaster. So these billboards are all over the bad areas. :laugh:

IMG_3316.JPG

Where are you from? Lol hope your kitty likes it better soon. I've never noticed the billboards before. Can't wait for orientation!

My cat will hate it for at least a couple of days. I'm also excited for orientation! (also a little nervous haha)

Apparently me and finnick need the same divine intervention because this is one of the billboards I saw:
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Yessss... I-35 has so many terrible religious billboards that it is kinda ridiculous.
I-70 going east-west through Kansas also does not disappoint either. Particularly in the anti-abortion category. Plus there's that creepy wheat Jesus in Colby, KS (literally google 'creepy wheat Jesus' if you haven't ever seen it).