Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd change my username but
A) I have no money
B) I have no idea what I'd change it to
ooops. Someone should've warned me before joining SDN. :laugh:

I wish I could Like @kcoughli's Like on this post

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I survived. Still hanging around at the school because there's supposed to be free food in an hour but classes are done for the day.

I've named my box of bones Albert.

Saaaame, about the food. :) WE SURVIVED OUR FIRST DAY!

Reactions: 1 users
I like that this has become a thing now. :laugh:

Y'know, I do still have one more username change request available... maybe I'll do it again and change my avatar and give no warning just to completely screw with everyone... :shifty:
I'll have you know I wanted to refer to it as a ketoone or a sandy because I couldn't for the life of me remember the latest one... I had to look it up!

Reactions: 2 users
I, being the type of person that I am, just hosted an anatomy study session outside of my group so I went from frantic meeping, to not as frantic but not super chill meeping. :laugh:
I was confident in anatomy yesterday. Today I am back to frantic meeping. We learn too much. My poor Brian. :(

Do you get your own bone box? We share ours with 7 other people. :(

We do. I enjoyed having some downtime after lab to review the forelimb bones by myself. I couldn't imagine having to share. :(

We do. I enjoyed having some downtime after lab to review the forelimb bones by myself. I couldn't imagine having to share. :(
We can rent out little boxes for a day with basically just the bones we're currently talking about, but other than that we have to share the actual box

Members don't see this ad :)
My bone box is Bob, second of his name, bones of the box.

I'm already over the anatomy smell. Ugh. It's become part of my skin already.

I was confident in anatomy yesterday. Today I am back to frantic meeping. We learn too much. My poor Brian. :(
What I learned today is that there's a bunch of strap-like things that attach to tougher white strap-like things that all look strikingly similar. And something about an ulnar something or something.

What I learned today is that there's a bunch of strap-like things that attach to tougher white strap-like things that all look strikingly similar. And something about an ulnar something or something.
oooh I learned that. I also learned that the cephalic vein is a lot more superficial than I thought, aka not actually there on my dog anymore. Also I learned that when a fire alarm is going off at 8:50pm, being next to the highly combustible labs in the vet school seems like the worst possibility.

Reactions: 1 user
What

(Wait or do you not mean Simba)
I took that to mean she was dissecting a cadaver, got a bit carried away, and accidentally cut it off or something. I had a dissection group member who was notorious about hacking important stuff to bits inadvertently. We eventually stopped letting him dissect anything delicate until we'd checked what he was about to cut.

I took that to mean she was dissecting a cadaver, got a bit carried away, and accidentally cut it off or something. I had a dissection group member who was notorious about hacking important stuff to bits inadvertently. We eventually stopped letting him dissect anything delicate until we'd checked what he was about to cut.
To be fair I was told to hurry up removing the forelimb skin and it kinda just went *poof*. Ask my lab partners, I'm doing a good job otherwise! :laugh:

To be fair I was told to hurry up removing the forelimb skin and it kinda just went *poof*. Ask my lab partners, I'm doing a good job otherwise! :laugh:
Eh, it's part of the learning curve for dissection. I'm sure you are doing great!

Eh, it's part of the learning curve for dissection. I'm sure you are doing great!
Awww thanks! I'm doing decently well with a scalpel! None of my old dissection labs would let us use scalpels so I once had to do a small cat dissection with dull scissors, a Kelly clamp, and a couple probes.. :scared:

I mean, that makes more sense

But I was concerned for simba at first
Had a patient in vet school who had a chunk of his cephalic removed during a soft tissue sarcoma surgery. Put a capslock alert in his file "NO RIGHT CEPHALIC BLOOD DRAWS" lol. Could just imagine some poor confused vet student down the line.

We have a male dog, female dog, and either a calf or a pony.

I had a big thing of Peppermint shampoo for anatomy times. The lemon would have worked too.

Hair Care | Avalon Organics
I used to keep straight up peppermint oil to put on myself after super nasty necropsies at work. You could always tell when we had some pungent ones because everyone would talk about how nice the veterinary staff smelled that day lol. The burn means it's working, right?!

I feel like I've been in vet school for a month and a half, not 7 days... :oops: Everytime I even think I have somewhat of a grasp on something, the rug gets pulled out from underneath me and it's all wrong

I'm holding my breath until the first exam(s). Once I get through those--if I've survived--then I think I'll feel like I can actually do this.

But the first two days have been alright. I'm gonna have a hard time staying awake in immuno though.

We were anatomy partners? :)

They told us that the people who went in hacking at stuff in lab with no regard are the ones who will later be surgeons :).

We spent .2 seconds on the bones, but I think we can borrow a bone box if we want - we have mostly been learning them as we've gone with insertion/origination sites for muscles, palpation in the community practice clinic, etc.

@finnickthedog I feel like you do - we started early August so we've had 2 quizzes, a graded in-class physical dx assignment, a report, and will have another exam on Friday - even though it's mostly not true exams, I feel a lot better having at least had quizzes and knowing that the material is manageable/what their testing styles are.

Currently realizing that I definitely took my free time for granted in undergrad. I've been having to turn down a lot of things/events I would love to do (and normally would in undergrad). :( But, hey, in four years we'll be vets! *It's worth it, it's worth it, it's worth it.*

Why do all the clubs have their intro meetings on the same days?!?! I want my free food!!

This week has been rough just in terms of time. 4 out of 5 days this week I'm not getting done here until 6 or 7. All I want is to get home with enough time to fit in some studying and still go to bed at a reasonable hour.

I do love it here so far... but I'm tired.

This week has been rough just in terms of time. 4 out of 5 days this week I'm not getting done here until 6 or 7. All I want is to get home with enough time to fit in some studying and still go to bed at a reasonable hour.

yeaaaaah I feel that. It sucks

Right, these are some looong days. Though, in a month or two it looks like they might get shorter in terms of class time! I just feel SO guilty leaving my hounds home for so long :/

We have our first histology "quiz" (which is basically just an exam) on Tuesday after Labor Day and we're really thankful for Labor Day so we have an entire day of studying for the upcoming quizzes/ exams.

Quiz tomorrow, a quiz and a 'test' next week, the big anatomy practical/ exam and 3 quizzes the week after.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

We have our first histology "quiz" (which is basically just an exam) on Tuesday after Labor Day and we're really thankful for Labor Day so we have an entire day of studying for the upcoming quizzes/ exams.

Quiz tomorrow, a quiz and a 'test' next week, the big anatomy practical/ exam and 3 quizzes the week after.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Our first anatomy "quiz" is that same week lol ._. Somebody send help

You'll get through it! Then fuzzy's margaritas after for everyone! Good luck! Study arteries and nerves until you know them 100%, she loves them.