Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm happy but life is cray. That is all I can muster.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
We have our first histology "quiz" (which is basically just an exam) on Tuesday after Labor Day and we're really thankful for Labor Day so we have an entire day of studying for the upcoming quizzes/ exams.

Quiz tomorrow, a quiz and a 'test' next week, the big anatomy practical/ exam and 3 quizzes the week after.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Haha. First year they usually have plenty of opportunities for points via numerous quizzes and exams. Then they die down to two or three the remaining years except for a couple classes. They gotta make sure you figure out how to keep up first year, dontchaknow!

Haha. First year they usually have plenty of opportunities for points via numerous quizzes and exams. Then they die down to two or three the remaining years except for a couple classes. They gotta make sure you figure out how to keep up first year, dontchaknow!
yeah I like it because it makes sure we don't get behind but it's also annoying because we just quiz studied for a quiz and we have another quiz a week in the same class. I'm thankful for the points so the tests don't mean everything but dang...

Members don't see this ad :)
First wildlife treatment shift down!

yeah I like it because it makes sure we don't get behind but it's also annoying because we just quiz studied for a quiz and we have another quiz a week in the same class. I'm thankful for the points so the tests don't mean everything but dang...
First year stinks is what it boils down to. lol

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with that! It's like 25% "yay vet schoo!l", 25% "why did I do this?", 50% "can I do this?" I seem to be okay at the moment, but that could change at any second. :laugh:
My current ratio of these thoughts are:
<1% yay I'm a vet!
>99% why did I do this?

Reactions: 1 users
TIL:

Anatomy lab is awesome.

Anatomy lab smell stuck on my hands after 6+ washes is not as awesome.

I don't think I'll look at prosciutto the same way ever again, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to eat some right now.

That is all.

Reactions: 4 users
TIL:

Anatomy lab is awesome.

Anatomy lab smell stuck on my hands after 6+ washes is not as awesome.

I don't think I'll look at prosciutto the same way ever again, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to eat some right now.

That is all.
I've taken to doing a combination of double gloving, washing my arms up to the elbow, and using really strong smelling hand sanitizer. The double gloving really helped with the smell on the hands issue, although you have to be more careful once you've done it as the gloves will tear a little more easily when you do that.

I've taken to doing a combination of double gloving, washing my arms up to the elbow, and using really strong smelling hand sanitizer. The double gloving really helped with the smell on the hands issue, although you have to be more careful once you've done it as the gloves will tear a little more easily when you do that.
Was thinking about trying that tomorrow - thanks for the pro tip!

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly thought the smell would bother me more because I am super sensitive to certain smells (I can smell cigarette smoke from very far away and it destroys me) but I didn't have any issues. We just started our dissection though.

Almost through week one! :D

I honestly thought the smell would bother me more because I am super sensitive to certain smells (I can smell cigarette smoke from very far away and it destroys me) but I didn't have any issues. We just started our dissection though.

Almost through week one! :D
Meanwhile I get too close to our cadaver and feel like a bug trapped in a killing jar, lol. They were maybe a little gung-ho with the cadaver embalming this year.

Also, excellent quote from our amazing anatomy professor this afternoon:
"Get ready for horses by the way, because equine anatomy is coming at all of you like a windshield comes at a bug." :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
Almost done with the first week here. It really hasn't been too bad all in all. They have made a specific effort to ease us into the curriculum, and I for one have appreciated it. Plus, we've been around cows, horses, and dogs all this week, so that sure keeps things in perspective.

The double gloving was amazing at reducing the smell. Thank you! It is so much easier to eat lunch after morning anatomy labs now.

Anki has been saving my butt so far! So much material! Respiratory & bone phys quiz and connective tissue/ epithelium quiz-exam (classified as quiz, massive number of points like an exam) in Histology, both on Tuesday! And then the anatomy practical/ exam a week from tomorrow. :help:

Anki has been saving my butt so far! So much material! Respiratory & bone phys quiz and connective tissue/ epithelium quiz-exam (classified as quiz, massive number of points like an exam) in Histology, both on Tuesday! And then the anatomy practical/ exam a week from tomorrow. :help:

I LITERALLY just texted my friend this and just started using it again!! This is how things have been working for me... take notes within the powerpoints during lecture, condense them into a written outline (depending on the class), and then enter them into Anki. I seriously just learned so much more. This. is. Amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
I LITERALLY just texted my friend this and just started using it again!! This is how things have been working for me... take notes within the powerpoints during lecture, condense them into a written outline (depending on the class), and then enter them into Anki. I seriously just learned so much more. This. is. Amazing.
It's so nice! I spent a good chunk of time making flash cards today but I'm gonna try to keep up with it! It's amazingly helpful!

I've been using both Anki and Cardflow (depending on the class). The algorithm with Anki is amazing for learning things long term but I also like Cardflow for being able to hand write notecards. I would really like a more sophisticated flashcard app than Cardflow but that I could still hand write cards instead of typing them.

I'm taking all my notes on Notability and love it!

I literally just got back from buying peppermint oil too. I smell like Christmas instead of embalming chemicals!
I need to smell like Christmas... is it just straight up oil or did you get like the oil lotion?

I've been using both Anki and Cardflow (depending on the class). The algorithm with Anki is amazing for learning things long term but I also like Cardflow for being able to hand write notecards. I would really like a more sophisticated flashcard app than Cardflow but that I could still hand write cards instead of typing them.

I'm taking all my notes on Notability and love it!
I haven't used cardflow. Wish there was a way I could share cards with other non anki users (my class does a lot of sharing of study guides) but oh well. I like having it both on my phone and my iPad so I can keep the party going all the time. Notability is great! I learned the hard way to make sure you actually turn off the recording when you close your iPad or you'll have a 7 and a half hour long audio recording of you in the car, in the anatomy lab, in the shower, watching Netflix, etc. :laugh:

I swear my wifi router smells fear since it shuts down consitantly when I'm in the middle of studying for a quiz or exam but will happily remain functioning for a 12 hour Netflix binge.

Reactions: 6 users
For some reason I don't remember anatomy smells sticking to me that bad. Even fall semester when I was more hands on.
I've been in anatomy classes on and off for a few years now and have never had problems with smell on my hands until this semester. I think the dogs just got preserved really well this time around.

I did really well on my bone/CT phys & respiratory phys quiz! Like I was super confident when I finished because I felt like I had prepared enough, didn't had any questions. Think I might've gotten them all right!!! :D

As for the histology quiz/test, I spent a stupid amount of time studying for it (made flashcards, went over all the material I had and what not) and I feel like I got beat over the head with a microscope and smacked in the face with a limp noodle. The whole test is designed to be a trick question so I definitely didn't feel good about it. :(

I know C's get degrees and all you have to do is pass but dang I was really looking forward to crushing the first test. The bright side is my whole class feels the same way, but dang. It's a real frustration. Decided it'll be best to take the night off to regain my 'mojo' and then get back at it tomorrow for the anatomy practical next Monday.

... 69 days of school left until Christmas break! :prof:

I did really well on my bone/CT phys & respiratory phys quiz! Like I was super confident when I finished because I felt like I had prepared enough, didn't had any questions. Think I might've gotten them all right!!! :D

As for the histology quiz/test, I spent a stupid amount of time studying for it (made flashcards, went over all the material I had and what not) and I feel like I got beat over the head with a microscope and smacked in the face with a limp noodle. The whole test is designed to be a trick question so I definitely didn't feel good about it. :(

I know C's get degrees and all you have to do is pass but dang I was really looking forward to crushing the first test. The bright side is my whole class feels the same way, but dang. It's a real frustration. Decided it'll be best to take the night off to regain my 'mojo' and then get back at it tomorrow for the anatomy practical next Monday.

... 69 days of school left until Christmas break! :prof:

Congrats on rocking your quizzes! Our first Histo test is next Tuesday... Definitely feeling some anxiety!

Congrats on rocking your quizzes! Our first Histo test is next Tuesday... Definitely feeling some anxiety!
Well- one went well. The other has been buried in a very large glass of cheap Pink Moscato and a SPN rewatch. :laugh:

First quiz in about 5 minutes. I love that my new class hasn't been neurotically freaking out about it. The atmosphere is so chill right now.

First quiz in about 5 minutes. I love that my new class hasn't been neurotically freaking out about it. The atmosphere is so chill right now.
Hahahaha definitely not like my class. My class is neurotically studying for the the anatomy practical on Monday, but everyone is in full on "nobody's failing out this semester" mode.

Had our first anatomy exam today and it went well! Spending the rest of tonight and tomorrow visiting my fiancé before getting back to the books on Sunday. :)

Me: "oh I feel a little unprepared for anatomy- I'll go to the anatomy lab for like 2 hours or so, and review so I can review it one more time. And then I'll have tonight off"
Also me: *spent the last eleven hours in and around the anatomy lab* *looks at clock and realizes it's 12:02 am and I really needed to eat dinner*

On the bright side, I feel almost prepared enough for this practical!

Me: "oh I feel a little unprepared for anatomy- I'll go to the anatomy lab for like 2 hours or so, and review so I can review it one more time. And then I'll have tonight off"
Also me: *spent the last eleven hours in and around the anatomy lab* *looks at clock and realizes it's 12:02 am and I really needed to eat dinner*

On the bright side, I feel almost prepared enough for this practical!
That is insane :dead:

I would say you need to relax, but I need to head over to the anatomy lab myself...
I was relaxed! It was like... fun studying. My friends were there and we were quizzing each other, trying to trick each other up. I definitely lost track of time. So I count that as a win.

Have you ever studied in a group where you're like... laughing and joking when you study? Trying to trick and quiz each other? It's kinda like that lol

I've definitely had some fun studying, too, Egg! And sharing the little ways we remember things. Dyneins transport to the nucleus... they like to dine in there for dinner, etc.