Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ugh that physiological chemistry & renal phys exam destroyeeeed me. :cryi:

It destroys everyone every time, yet somehow it all works out. Don't stress. If you don't pass it, start going to his office frequently, he is nicer to students he knows. I heard a rumor that students from your class were planning on going to that prof and telling him he made his test too hard and it wasn't fair, I hope they know that it won't go over well with him. :laugh:

F that one specific professor in particular.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like one professor acting like the damn gatekeeper is a special brand of arrogance.

Making up how many points are on exams on the fly - oh this one will be 253 points. Oh, the next one is only 147. Oh, you studied more for that one? Too bad because it's random and I do what I like. And the other professor's test from the first half of the course is only worth 50 points. Too bad.

Blah blah blah potato joke.

Not a fan. But you know.

Reactions: 4 users
acting like the damn gatekeeper
yes! definitely Cerberus.
Oh, but I have to ask - overhead projector in the auditorium? Or reluctant adherence to technological advances?
Overhead projector yes. Instead of the wet erase type film projector he’s begrudgingly using an overhead projector document reader. But he’s been having to adhere to technology and because there’s a deaf girl in his class, he can’t* just choose to turn Echo (the lecture recorder) off. And we still have to go buy lecture notes and what not.

We had the other professor for 3 weeks and then he left. :( so we had one test that was 100% Dr. D, and now we have the same professor until May... :barf:

*without getting in trouble

yes! definitely Cerberus.

Overhead projector yes. Instead of the wet erase type film projector he’s begrudgingly using an overhead projector document reader. But he’s been having to adhere to technology and because there’s a deaf girl in his class, he can’t* just choose to turn Echo (the lecture recorder) off. And we still have to go buy lecture notes and what not.

We had the other professor for 3 weeks and then he left. :( so we had one test that was 100% Dr. D, and now we have the same professor until May... :barf:

*without getting in trouble

Hah! I hope he pouted thoroughly about both having to ditch the projector and the audio recording.

Be careful, you might have made a 90% on that other prof's exam but he'll declare it worth like 20% of your total grade. Happened.

I'm seething a little, but I'm gonna go brush my teeth in my nice fancy bathroom and go lay in my comfy king size bed and remind myself that vet school can't hurt me anymore. No more solvent drag jokes - ever.

Hah! I hope he pouted thoroughly about both having to ditch the projector and the audio recording.

I'm seething a little, but I'm gonna go brush my teeth in my nice fancy bathroom and go lay in my comfy king size bed and remind myself that vet school can't hurt me anymore. No more solvent drag jokes - ever.
(From what I’ve been told by the nice people who help me with making sure professors are complying to the protocol, he was the only teacher to be pouty about it. He was also the only spring professor not to show up to the disabilities meeting.)

31 more days... and then next year we get the privilege of a 5 hour course of physiology 3... :cryi:

Meh, I figured him out pretty early and learned how to study for him. I just ignored his lecturing and learned from his tables, study guides, but otherwise read the book. I didn't have any trouble second semester and was able to keep a good relationship with him.

TT’s feelings accurately describe how I feel about his as well after last semester. He’s a jerk. You can go back to the rant thread and find my experiences. Lots of people end up succeeding in his class, and lots don’t. It’s all about your learning styles and if it meshes with him. Mine didn’t but I did great in everything else, so at the end of the day, who cares.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
TT’s feelings accurately describe how I feel about his as well after last semester. He’s a jerk. You can go back to the rant thread and find my experiences. Lots of people end up succeeding in his class, and lots don’t. It’s all about your learning styles and if it meshes with him. Mine didn’t but I did great in everything else, so at the end of the day, who cares.
Hehe. All I can say it is a good thing we got along. My displeasure is usually on the fire and brimstone side of good and evil.

I stand by my words and honestly hope I never see the guy again.

I get that some people like him, and apparently if you take his elective class, he's really cool, but. You can just picture me slowly shaking my head and then changing the subject.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I stand by my words and honestly hope I never see the guy again.

I get that some people like him, and apparently if you take his elective class, he's really cool, but. You can just picture me slowly shaking my head and then changing the subject.
There is no amount of money in this world that would convince me to take his elective class. Absolute no from me.

take his elective class
tenor.gif

Reactions: 5 users
I’m with TT.

Not a fan of being told I’m too stupid to learn and being compared to a dumb dog. Also not a fan of being told I must be cheating when we finally got to a subject I understood and managed to pull a decent a grade (thank you undergrad repro phys!) And not a fan of being stood up for more than one scheduled meeting.

But like TT I’m going to go sit in my pretty house and drink fancy wine and head off to my big girl job in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m with TT.

Not a fan of being told I’m too stupid to learn and being compared to a dumb dog. Also not a fan of being told I must be cheating when we finally got to a subject I understood and managed to pull a decent a grade (thank you undergrad repro phys!) And not a fan of being stood up for more than one scheduled meeting.

But like TT I’m going to go sit in my pretty house and drink fancy wine and head off to my big girl job in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeahhh I’ve noticed that pattern. He gave us a huuuuge lecture about how rude it is to be late to things which I found amusing. Oh well. I just have like ~6 months left with him and then I’ll be done!

Last edited:
Let's all clink our glasses to not being traumatized by arrogant bald men. Cdconn, stay strong. Maybe some graffiti on the bathroom walls to help relieve some stress? I'm thinking a stick figure with a kilt... and something something potato. That should do it.

(I know I'm mixing up some cultures here, that's the point yo)

Let's all clink our glasses to not being traumatized by arrogant bald men. Cdconn, stay strong. Maybe some graffiti on the bathroom walls to help relieve some stress? I'm thinking a stick figure with a kilt... and something something potato. That should do it.

(I know I'm mixing up some cultures here, that's the point yo)
oh I’m guessing you heard about that too? I don’t necessarily know if it’s my class, but we’ve had people write on the walls in the anatomy bathrooms, steal food from the fridge, and steal merchandise from open mailboxes... :( it’s a shame people can’t just behave and stop acting like :asshat:.

But hey throw some anti-Histology stuff in that pile and I’m all for avoiding avoiding arrogant bald men. :laugh: But it’s the circle of life in that you suffer and then you support the people who are suffering. :laugh:

I have a shadow magic test tomorrow and I'm so unmotivated to know anything for it. The extent of my knowledge about ultrasound is as follows:

oh I’m guessing you heard about that too? I don’t necessarily know if it’s my class, but we’ve had people write on the walls in the anatomy bathrooms, steal food from the fridge, and steal merchandise from open mailboxes... :( it’s a shame people can’t just behave and stop acting like :asshat:.

But hey throw some anti-Histology stuff in that pile and I’m all for avoiding avoiding arrogant bald men. :laugh: But it’s the circle of life in that you suffer and then you support the people who are suffering. :laugh:

That other bald guy is fairly nice, just super nerdy. The class still sucks, but the requirements are clear (# tests worth # points and these quizzes on [dates]) and he generally treats people nicely from what I remember.

Rest assured that there are other poopy classes and there are profs that you'll love and some that you just won't... and some you will love as a person, like let's get a coffee or I'd let them babysit my kids or whatever, but dear god please I can't sit through another lecture... but none were as unpleasant as the one guy. Not even close.

And no, I pulled the graffiti idea out of my butt. I was joking of course - the janitors don't deserve to suffer too, lol. I'm sorry that the students (presumably only a few students) are doing ****ty stuff.

So my micro anatomy professor, in a misguided effort to make our midterm less stressful, changed the test format dramatically the day before the test (yesterday). Made the test this morning...interesting? I don't think I ever written so much about how to identify something, without actually identifying it. Yes, micro anatomy and we did not look at and ID anything?!?!?

We got our finals back and did worse on day one than I thought, but did better on day two. Ended up with a 70% on the final and a 74% overall (according to my Excel sheet; final grade actually pending).

Not as good as I was hoping, but I'll take the 5% increase I'm at compared to last year!! :)

Reactions: 10 users

At least for the food stealing, it was happening over summer too. I believe I left a rant somewhere about my salmon salad being taken when when I had been in the lab all day and had finally had a moment to eat, when I found precious missing.

At least for the food stealing, it was happening over summer too. I believe I left a rant somewhere about my salmon salad being taken when when I had been in the lab all day and had finally had a moment to eat, when I found precious missing.
:( ack that’s the worst. I’m sorry.

Hooray! Congrats on the improvement! :)

I was talking with one of our professors here who is somewhat familiar with Illinois's curriculum, and it definitely sounds like a doozy how you all are graded over there.

Yeah, it's definitely a double-edged sword. As I've told some people, I would have had over a 2.0 if all the classes were graded individually. So having one really bad subject just sinks you regardless and being really good at one subject, but average in everything else really limits you too.

But I also love my class, so I've really seen this all as a blessing in disguise. :)

We got our finals back and did worse on day one than I thought, but did better on day two. Ended up with a 70% on the final and a 74% overall (according to my Excel sheet; final grade actually pending).

Not as good as I was hoping, but I'll take the 5% increase I'm at compared to last year!! :)

Otherwise known as "passing and staying in the program". :) :)

Keep on keepin' on!

Reactions: 6 users
Indeed. doesn't help our food options are rather pathetic on our side of campus. haha

Used to be a little cafeteria thing downstairs where the vending machines are - you can still kind of see the lines in the floor where the counters were. They'd get catered food over from Kerr-Drummond. It was two food options a day. Not usually that great... like when they would have fish, I'd be like, nah man, hard pass. But it was okay sometimes and better than the crap they have in the vending machine in the corner (hot link sandwich in shrink-wrap? Nothx. They sold soda and coffee too (Java Dave's). They never had name brand chips - a curse that occurs elsewhere on campus as well - and that was the biggest disappointment. But they had some muffins and things like that, bananas, fruit.

Went away about 2009 or so... and now you're supposed to be okay with a hot pocket from the vending machine. When they aren't sold out.

@Emily Faith and I just had a 3 hour long Anatomy exam over neck down. 92+ identification/ function/ blood supply/ innervation questions, and then a written aspect. And it was brutal. I can’t tell if I need to sleep or I need to drink more.

@Emily Faith and I just had a 3 hour long Anatomy exam over neck down. 92+ identification/ function/ blood supply/ innervation questions, and then a written aspect. And it was brutal. I can’t tell if I need to sleep or I need to drink more.
We have head/neck and abdomen on Monday. So fun.

We have ours over the same stuff tomorrow except we have ID of the skull added in. Definitely get a drink and relax cdoconn!!

There is a definite war inside me about whether to go out and do something or hole up in the house. Half of my brains cells died and went to anatomy so maybe I shouldn’t drive. :sleep:

All of this neuroscience is going in one ear and out the other. The only thing encouraging me right now is that fact that I felt totally unprepared for the last neuro exam too and it turned out I knew more than I thought I did.

All of this neuroscience is going in one ear and out the other. The only thing encouraging me right now is that fact that I felt totally unprepared for the last neuro exam too and it turned out I knew more than I thought I did.
I moved the weekend before the 2nd neuro. Barely put anytime into it, did pretty well. It's over the cranial nerves? You should be good, and the teacher is the patron saint of partial credit if not :D

Our neuro exams were take home exams and were a joke. But, we weren't as lucky as you-- we didn't have Dr. Patterson. I barely learned anything during first year neuro.

I swear the only time I come on here anymore is to distract myself from studying and every time I do I'm so happy with my test schedule compared to everybody else :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
We had a histo exam yesterday....... probably didn't go so well haha!