Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finals are coming and apparently the second years are now spreading around a cold (in which we had to spend a couple hours in their classroom yesterday). This should be fun as the last time I had a cold it rapidly progressed into bronchitis and then pneumonia.

giphy.gif

Also finals are rapidly approaching and I don’t know whether to be happy this semester is over or crawl up in a bawl in fear... probably both

Members don't see this ad.

Finals are coming and apparently the second years are now spreading around a cold (in which we had to spend a couple hours in their classroom yesterday). This should be fun as the last time I had a cold it rapidly progressed into bronchitis and then pneumonia.
Get you some steroids before it even becomes bronchitis. Don't need you dying and forcing me to call a wellness check on you :p

Reactions: 1 users

Emergen-C! I discovered their gummies when I was sick. For all of thanksgiving break. They remind me of sour patch kids which made it hard to limit myself

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Emergen-C! I discovered their gummies when I was sick. For all of thanksgiving break. They remind me of sour patch kids which made it hard to limit myself
I need to get some of those, the powder has kind of a weird taste.

Pharm/Tox/Nutrition

So. Much. Information.
I'm in 2 of those right now! Plus...ya know...6 other classes or whatever.

General pharm stuff was fine. Specific drugs not so much. Toxicology I just have no idea what is going on in that class, I'm not sure I want to know, at least my plant book saved my grade.

One more bear of a physiology test tomorrow before the grind to finals. I keep feeling absolutely screwed for each test, barely pull something off right at the end and then roll into the next test.

Reactions: 3 users
I started off this semester SO strong but then had a little dip in grades during the two weeks we had with 6 exams. My dog was just diagnosed with an inoperable extraskeletal osteosarcoma in his iliopsoas that goes into his spinal canal. My brain has been somewhat preoccupied with that so I extra need to kick it into gear for this last home stretch and finals. Today he met with rehab, neuro, soft tissue surgery, and oncology. Friday he starts a bisposphonate infusion, gets a repeat CT to plan for radiation and check his lungs again, so having a plan is helping us cope a little...

I will say -- I accepted earlier than I would have liked that sometime's passing is what is important..

One more bear of a physiology test tomorrow before the grind to finals. I keep feeling absolutely screwed for each test, barely pull something off right at the end and then roll into the next test.
This!!!!

I started off this semester SO strong but then had a little dip in grades during the two weeks we had with 6 exams. My dog was just diagnosed with an inoperable extraskeletal osteosarcoma in his iliopsoas that goes into his spinal canal. My brain has been somewhat preoccupied with that so I extra need to kick it into gear for this last home stretch and finals. Today he met with rehab, neuro, soft tissue surgery, and oncology. Friday he starts a bisposphonate infusion, gets a repeat CT to plan for radiation and check his lungs again, so having a plan is helping us cope a little...

I will say -- I accepted earlier than I would have liked that sometime's passing is what is important..
I'm so sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Our finals start tomorrow and we have one every day until next Thursday. We also have full classes tomorrow and Friday on top of our finals. The home stretch is here but dang it’s exhausting. So close to that month long break though!

Your strong earlier grades are helpful so you can focus on more important things right now. So sorry to hear about your pup, but sounds like he is in amazing hands. Fingers crossed for him.

Very sorry @wallydo ... sending good thoughts to your dog and to you!

Y'all have got this! Keep on keeping on!

Your strong earlier grades are helpful so you can focus on more important things right now. So sorry to hear about your pup, but sounds like he is in amazing hands. Fingers crossed for him.

Thanks, Trilt. My first time going through this with my own pet and it's really weird to be on this side of the equation and honestly just plain sucks. He's got good people on his side and no matter what happens, we can at least promise to him that he's not going to be painful through this. I've been streaming lectures extra lately just to spend extra time with him.

@Coopah and other UC Davis frands - do you guys have any insight on the feasibility of a non-UC Davis student doing the STAR program? The website says it's open to DVM students from other universities, but the list of former STAR contacts are all UC Davis students (it's only like 10 people, doesn't necessarily mean anything). However, the application process seems difficult for a non-student given the need for faculty mentor support and a detailed abstract/project timeline. I could see it going both ways, either faculty could be interested in working with a student if it's a good fit even if it means planning a lot of things remotely or...not...and really no non-Davis students ever get accepted. I'm happy to put the legwork in to contact/harass/etc mentors, but I don't want to waste my time or theirs if the reality is that it's just not something that's actually done, if that makes sense.

Rationale: I am also considering applying to the similar research program at my school, but UC Davis has some mentors/projects that are a unique fit for my (nontraditional) background.

I emailed the STAR coordinator, but I feel like I might get more candid answers here. Thanks in advance!

@Coopah and other UC Davis frands - do you guys have any insight on the feasibility of a non-UC Davis student doing the STAR program? The website says it's open to DVM students from other universities, but the list of former STAR contacts are all UC Davis students (it's only like 10 people, doesn't necessarily mean anything). However, the application process seems difficult for a non-student given the need for faculty mentor support and a detailed abstract/project timeline. I could see it going both ways, either faculty could be interested in working with a student if it's a good fit even if it means planning a lot of things remotely or...not...and really no non-Davis students ever get accepted. I'm happy to put the legwork in to contact/harass/etc mentors, but I don't want to waste my time or theirs if the reality is that it's just not something that's actually done, if that makes sense.

Rationale: I am also considering applying to the similar research program at my school, but UC Davis has some mentors/projects that are a unique fit for my (nontraditional) background.

I emailed the STAR coordinator, but I feel like I might get more candid answers here. Thanks in advance!
I actually have no idea about the feasibility of this. I know you need a faculty mentor and we are already signing up with them so I would suggest contacting a faculty member that you are interested in working with and seeing if they would be willing to work with you. They would have the most information I think. Good luck!

8 exams and 2 quizzes before the end of this semester... let's do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hype for The Last Jedi is real. Spent five hours looking at star wars pinterest stuff and now I definitely don't regret the lack of sleep I am currently experiencing.

My hype for The Last Jedi is real. Spent five hours looking at star wars pinterest stuff and now I definitely don't regret the lack of sleep I am currently experiencing.

Bought my tickets yesterday to go see it with my kids. Unfortunately, I was responsible and waited for finals to be over.

Prior to going to vet school at UCD I did a Masters degree there, and my professor DID have a non-UCD STAR student come and do some work in our lab while I was there. So it does happen. I'd contact the mentors you're interested in directly and talk to them about it in addition to the coordinator.

Bought my tickets yesterday to go see it with my kids. Unfortunately, I was responsible and waited for finals to be over.

We have a break in my rotation right meow so I'm trying to get tickets or a group of us to go next Thursday night. There's a $25 fan event with extra footage and stuff, so I'm waiting for the group to decide what the want.

I had a nightmare last night that I still had 2 months of school left and I actually died inside. I feel like I’ve just spent the past 8 years here in vet school and it’s only getting started.

Hit-by-bus.gif

different school and different program (but same thing kinda overall) we've had people from MSU go do summer research at other vet schools. So i do think it would be possible

We have a break in my rotation right meow so I'm trying to get tickets or a group of us to go next Thursday night. There's a $25 fan event with extra footage and stuff, so I'm waiting for the group to decide what the want.
I'm so sad I can't go to the midnight release since I have a final the next day. :cryi: It'll have to wait until I get home, I'm sure I can talk my Star Wars-obsessed SO into seeing it again.

I'm very very below average at school right now -- and I think vet and med school have more in common than different -- but I might fail this next big exam, especially since I've been sick (might even be cat scratch fever, which would be kinda neat). So pretty much I'm sucking at school and I'm not doing the community service or club stuff I'm expected to do and ughhhh, but... I'm good at the actual interacting with patients part, I'm finding a few subjects that I love (pediatrics!), and my somewhat-famous professor just offered to mentor me and maybe even bring me in on some research.

Before this, research seemed like a burdensome thing you did because it looked good on residency applications, but this would be really exciting, and it's a big deal that he offered to mentor me. I just have to keep reminding myself that even if I suck at almost everything, there's some stuff that I really don't suck at and I can make a career out of that ****.

I'm not an admissions mistake, I'm not an admissions mistake...

I'm not an admissions mistake, I'm not an admissions mistake...
I think this is a common feeling for everyone in professional school and I can promise you're not! I'm glad you're finding things you enjoy in school and that you're getting through it.

58b9dc481900003300bd6ac6.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
Hang in there @strider144 <3 try to focus on all that good stuff that you mentioned! What kind of research?

He designed this magical protocol for treating PTSD in both children and adults. He used to be a monk and now he gets more grants than he can use doing this research. It's pretty cool.

Oh wow, that sounds awesome!
Experimentally, it's had an 80-90% success rate, which is unheard of with ptsd (treatments tend towards 35% success rate). The idea is to give patients coping skills to deal with the acute symptoms and then to use medication and therapy together to facilitate the process of rewriting the memories in your brain. It's mind-blowing. Ketamine + mindfulness -> neuroplasticity + coping skills -> adaptive alterations in the way your traumatic memories are recorded.

I'm so sad I can't go to the midnight release since I have a final the next day. :cryi: It'll have to wait until I get home, I'm sure I can talk my Star Wars-obsessed SO into seeing it again.

We are going to a 9:30 pm showing next Thursday (much to my mother's happiness that it's not a legit midnight showing)! When you see it, message me here/Facebook/snap chat to discuss!

So we wrote letters to ourselves during orientation 16 weeks ago and they gave the letters back to us today.

Past cdo was clearly an idiot. So full of dreams and hope. What a loser, psh. :laugh::cryi:
Apparently once upon a time I was happy- where’d that goooo?

Reactions: 5 users
One anatomy final tomorrow stands between me and winter break! Let’s do this.

So we wrote letters to ourselves during orientation 16 weeks ago and they gave the letters back to us today.

Past cdo was clearly an idiot. So full of dreams and hope. What a loser, psh. :laugh::cryi:
Apparently once upon a time I was happy- where’d that goooo?
I just remembered to read mine and I thought, “Wow, that’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me” and then remembered I was the one who wrote it. :laugh: But hey, somtimes you have to take positive encouragement into your own hands. Past Emily should have been a motivational speaker. Present Emily should probably not.

I just remembered to read mine and I thought, “Wow, that’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me” and then remembered I was the one who wrote it. :laugh: But hey, somtimes you have to take positive encouragement into your own hands. Past Emily should have been a motivational speaker. Present Emily should probably not.
Mine was essentially making sure I’m taking care of myself “when’s the last time you ate real food/ got a good night’s sleep?”

what’s the “sleep” you speak of, previous me?

I thought they were for when we graduated when I wrote mine, so when we got them at end of first year first semester, I just made a face from my premature congrats to myself for making it through. lol

Reactions: 5 users
I thought they were for when we graduated when I wrote mine, so when we got them at end of first year first semester, I just made a face from my premature congrats to myself for making it through. lol
Hahahahahaha so much enthusiasm for making it one semester! That’s really funny!