Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Renal was my favorite subject in histophysiology. Funny how things differ between schools.

There is a rather deep dive into the minutia associated with this one, so it sets people on edge, especially since the tests over it expect fill in the blank detail and minor change of T/F over any and all of said minutia. bahahaa

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Renal was one of my favorite subjects in histophysiology, maybe tied with cardio. Funny how things differ between schools.
Renal and respiratory phys, but the renal is the one that everyone likes to talk about. lol
There is a rather deep dive into the minutia associated with this one, so it sets people on edge, especially since the tests over it expect fill in the blank detail and minor change of T/F over any and all of said minutia. bahahaa
I... I don’t want to talk about renal phys

The funny thing is that today in epidemiology our professor asked us the rough percentage of kidney loss that you have until you get isothenuria/ what creatinine & BUN levels you should expect, and that was never covered.

BUT BY GOLLY I KNOW EVERY SINGLE TRANSPORTER IN THE ENTIRE NEPHRON, HOW MANY ATOMS THEY TRANSPORT, AND THEIR EFFECT.

what even IS creatinine?

Members don't see this ad :)

The funny thing is that today in epidemiology our professor asked us the rough percentage of kidney loss that you have until you get isothenuria/ what creatinine & BUN levels you should expect, and that was never covered.

BUT BY GOLLY I KNOW EVERY SINGLE TRANSPORTER IN THE ENTIRE NEPHRON, HOW MANY ATOMS THEY TRANSPORT, AND THEIR EFFECT.

what even IS creatinine?
That's because that class was meant to understand normal kidney phys. You'll cover the rest of it in following courses when things go wrong. haha

Reactions: 1 user
That's because that class was meant to understand normal kidney phys. You'll cover the rest of it in following courses when things go wrong. haha
meanwhile I'm over here like... um...

kangaroo rats have long loops of Henle!

yeah renal phys is totally a thing yup.

Reactions: 3 users
Respiratory phys was my saving grace last semester because renal was really rough for me. I honestly can't say I came out of that class feeling like I achieved much. I am going to attempt to be a more efficient studier this time around since the class is 100% the one professor. I took parasitology in undergrad and absolutely loved it so I'm excited for that class, as well as immuno and path.

Yeah! Kangaroo rats are awesome! Can concentrate their urine osmolality up to like 5600 mOsm/ kg!!! Super thick renal medullary thickness

yeah, thankfully the only understanding from then on is drug and chem panel affects/changes. although histo will still be prominent player, so hopefully even though that is another class some hated, that sticks.

I'm stupidly excited about the incoming class! They got their emails today :D. Also a group mates girlfriend got accepted so I'm super excited for her!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Just out of curiosity, has that professor practiced clinical medicine in the last 20 years?

Because "what creatinine & BUN levels you should expect" isn't going to be amazingly predictable. Unless he's just looking for generalizations like "low," "normal," or "high".....

*Especially* in clinical practice where most of those cases with CKD or AKI have some compounding pre-renal azotemia.

Two exams this week and I just don't feel ready for them at all. Two snow days and the government shutdown furloughing my wife didn't help the stress levels either.

Last edited:
I did nothing while staying home and ditching the first week of class last week. I am regretting not staying on top of things last week. This week is absolutely insane. We have a quiz on Thursday and I'll be okay with getting a 50% on it at this point.

But my niece is so cute!!!!!!!!!!! She's perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

I did nothing while staying home and ditching the first week of class last week. I am regretting not staying on top of things last week. This week is absolutely insane. We have a quiz on Thursday and I'll be okay with getting a 50% on it at this point.

But my niece is so cute!!!!!!!!!!! She's perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

You are far braver then I am.

You are far braver then I am.

Legit only went through 2 of the 12 lectures/labs we had last week. I procrastinated by reading the first 2.5 of 3 Red Rising books (fourth one came out the 16th). Spent all day yesterday trying to catch up and did not succeed. Meanwhile, I also have to compensate for missed wildlife team stuff, volunteered for lambing help, signed up for an ICU shift, and have the equine emergency shift on Friday.

I've decided I might have to calm my roll a little here.

Just out of curiosity, has that professor practiced clinical medicine in the last 20 years?

Because "what creatinine & BUN levels you should expect" isn't going to be amazingly predictable. Unless he's just looking for generalizations like "low," "normal," or "high".....

*Especially* in clinical practice where most of those cases with CKD or AKI have some compounding pre-renal azotemia.

We went over this in clin path last semester as well and were definitely given a hard value/percentage of loss of function that correlate with elevated values....although all of our professors were mainly pathologists, of course.

Legit only went through 2 of the 12 lectures/labs we had last week. I procrastinated by reading the first 2.5 of 3 Red Rising books (fourth one came out the 16th). Spent all day yesterday trying to catch up and did not succeed. Meanwhile, I also have to compensate for missed wildlife team stuff, volunteered for lambing help, signed up for an ICU shift, and have the equine emergency shift on Friday.

I've decided I might have to calm my roll a little here.
I did not realize this, though it may explain why the hubs was rereading them recently

what even IS creatinine?

Am I the only crazy one that really enjoyed renal physiology?

Isosthenuria at 66% loss. BUN/creatinine values really can't be determined as any added diseases or dehydration will change those, as LIS stated. But my most recent renal patient with Isosthenuria has normal BUN and creatinine.... but that could've easily been abnormal... I won't mention SDMA since that's still relatively new.

We went over this in clin path last semester as well and were definitely given a hard value/percentage of loss of function that correlate with elevated values....although all of our professors were mainly pathologists, of course.

Yes, there is a classic value for what point of function loss you start to see Cr/BUN increases. DVMD learned 66%. I learned 75%. Whatever. It's somewhere in there.

That wasn't the point.

Cdoconn said, in part:

what creatinine & BUN levels you should expect [with isosthenuria]

... and other than "elevated," that's not a question you can answer. That was my point. Partly because it is HIGHLY variable from patient to patient, and partly because there are possible pre-renal or post-renal causes that would influence those numbers.

Baseline Creat is highly variable from one healthy patient to another (true in humans as well) - that's why trending information on it is important. You can have a patient with a 1.8 Cr that has clinically evidence kidney disease ... and you can have a healthy patient with a lifelong stable 1.8 Cr.

SDMA .......... has many critics (as well as proponents), including in human medicine. Our IntMed docs hate it. But it's probably too big of a topic for SDN.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, there is a classic value for what point of function loss you start to see Cr/BUN increases. DVMD learned 66%. I learned 75%. Whatever. It's somewhere in there.

That wasn't the point.

Cdoconn said, in part:

... and other than "elevated," that's not a question you can answer. That was my point. Partly because it is HIGHLY variable from patient to patient, and partly because there are possible pre-renal or post-renal causes that would influence those numbers.

Baseline Creat is highly variable from one healthy patient to another (true in humans as well) - that's why trending information on it is important. You can have a patient with a 1.8 Cr that has clinically evidence kidney disease ... and you can have a healthy patient with a lifelong stable 1.8 Cr.

SDMA .......... has many critics (as well as proponents), including in human medicine. Our IntMed docs hate it. But it's probably too big of a topic for SDN.

Ours just call it ~70% lol

That wasn't the point.

Cdoconn said, in part:

No, no 66% for isosthenuria to start. 75% is what I learned for BUN/creat elevation. Sorry, I probably didn't clarify that well above. I thought she was asking at what % you see isosthenuria.... which I was taught is seen prior to renal value elevations.

We won't talk about the ****ty SDMA.

Ours just call it ~70% lol

It's one of my least favorite numbers they teach because in the end ... it doesn't mean anything.

Like.... does it matter if it's 60%? 66%? 70%? 75%? No.

The point is "most of the function." And that's all you need to understand - that by the time you see Cr/BUN elevations due to chronic fibrosis of those nephrons ... you've lost most of them, and the rest are probably trying hard to compensate. That's the only point of that number.

Which to me makes it dumb. :)

Reactions: 4 users

That wasn't the point.

Cdoconn said, in part:

Not to mention I've seen a many renal cats with literally 0 muscle that probably would have creatinine in the 5's or higher if they had the muscle to provide the creatinine increase but since they don't the creatinine is normal.

Reactions: 7 users
Not to mention I've seen a many renal cats with literally 0 muscle that probably would have creatinine in the 5's or higher if they had the muscle to provide the creatinine increase but since they don't the creatinine is normal.

Right! Just another factor to consider. I suppose technically that's a pre-renal factor. I never think of it that way, since we usually only talk about pre-renal azotemia, but.... every once in a while I see some BCS 1/5 cat with a Cr of 2... that might be way worse than the well-muscled younger cat with a Cr of 2.5.

@LetItSnow

That wasn’t my point either Lol. I was just saying that my lecturers for the course were indeed pathologists and not clinicians, since you had asked cdo if her lecturers had practiced as clinicians in the last 20 years.

I just had my first parasit lab today and I would very much like to peel my skin off, send it through the heavy duty clean cycle with bleach, and then put it back on, thank you very much.

I just had my first parasit lab today and I would very much like to peel my skin off, send it through the heavy duty clean cycle with bleach, and then put it back on, thank you very much.
Did you have a tick lab? Ticks make me feel like this

So what kind of parasites can you get without a protective epithelial barrier? I mean you don't need to dip yourself in bleach too, just you know hypothetically?