class presidents......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms1inmw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with their class president. After one and a half years, our's is showing some real leadership shortcomings and seems to be nothing more than a spigot for administration rhetoric and seems to overstep her postion more often than not. The thing that pisses me off the most is her lack of consistency in dealing with class issues.

Normally, I could give a crap; afterall I dont see class officer positions as being anything more than attempts to build resumes. However, because of her liberal interpretation of her duties, her actions are starting to have effects on me.

Anyway, I am going to confront her and call into question the way she has conducted herself as class president. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ms1inmw
Has anyone else had problems with their class president. After one and a half years, our's is showing some real leadership shortcomings and seems to be nothing more than a spigot for administration rhetoric and seems to overstep her postion more often than not. The thing that pisses me off the most is her lack of consistency in dealing with class issues.

Normally, I could give a crap; afterall I dont see class officer positions as being anything more than attempts to build resumes. However, because of her liberal interpretation of her duties, her actions are starting to have effects on me.

Anyway, I am going to confront her and call into question the way she has conducted herself as class president. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

I have not, but I think the best way to "confront her" would be to create a petition that lists your grievances clearly. You want to be as formal as possible (since, from what you say, she is really just the personification of the rules guide given out by the administration). Understand that most of these offices are pretty well set, and barring egregious violations of your school's codes, it is unlikely she will be removed.

So yeah, definitely write up a petition and get like-minded classmates to sign. At the very least you will get her to change her style, hopefully to your benefit.

Good luck!

I know our grade school government had no real influence.
I was elected treasurer in third grade because I could do multiplication,lol.But we all forgot at reccess.

Later in school we had Class Representatives,and also the school was divided into some sort of team and we had competitions,all of which were just fundraising scams.Someone in my friend's class,back in high school, ran for class president and recieved no votes but was later appointed to become a Division Leader by the faculty!

How awful!

Members don't see this ad :)
the duties of my class president include

1) reminding my ass of any upcoming quizes exams...etc(he is my roomate)
2) gettin the class any available old exams
3) organizing class parties
4) negotiating with professor to change exam dates(usually fails)
5) giving out pages we need to read fo behavioral exams (since there is no officail text....and most peeps use BRS..and some other book proff recommended). but he thinks thats not his reponsibility....hey....but last president we had..did everything. so he has some big ass shoes to fill.

he is pretty much the class servant. .no one relishes this position..... in fact....since coll freshmen year (im in a combined program)..i dont remember 2 people ever runing for the position...and we already in MS1-2nd semester.

Deal with it for the rest of this year. All the while, make a list of everything you don't like about the president.

Next year run for the position yourself...and bring up all the crap on your list from this year.

The fact that she's been president for a second year means that she's had no real competition, or that your class didn't care. Now that you DO care...change things for next year.

As one who's been class president, its a lot of work and not nearly enough "resume building." I'd be appreciative that your president does anything at all. But if you want to get rid of her, run against her. Its democracy baby....(although by your first message, it sounds like you elected her for life)

good luck
I'd love to know what was the outcome of the petition

What about a coup d' etat??? A little revolution now and then keeps the vast medical student bureaucracy and obvious fat cat conspiracies in check.

Originally posted by ms1inmw

I gotta tell you, as much as I like my classmates and enjoy medical school, when I go home to my family I leave it all behind and cannot possibly see how anything our class president does can possibly have any effect on me.

I, too, am interested, respectfully, in what power this unusual class officer has.

Now wait a second...doing a petition and all of those types of things suggested just escalates the situation and promotes "bad blood" in the school. Deal with people one on one and be professional about it by going directly to the person and talking to her about your concerns. If she doesn't listen to you or at least respond, then you could decide if this is important enough to ruin someone's reputation and, quite possibly, make yourself look really bad in the process.

The other comments about how governments and such being a joke are exactly why I personally got involved with them in the first place. Everyone assumes that nothing ever happens and students have no input until he or she gets involved and starts trying to bring about change. Those of us in leadership on our campus, for example, meet with the head of the campus, with the dean of students, and with the dean of the medical school in separate meetings each month. We try to bring all the concerns of students directly to them each month--but what has been my experience is, despite emailing the classes and practically begging people to come to us with concerns, most just complain amongst each other and don't try to get anything done. There are avenues at each school for bringing about change, and hopefully those who are elected to positions of leadership will be able to at least assist you in showing the proper channels for doing so.

Yes, there are some people who get involved in leadership to put something on their resume; however, I know that I wouldn't spend all of the time, headaches, and frustration that often come about just to put stuff on there. Some of us really do enjoy trying to bring about change and working with students and administrators--unless you do as well, you'll see it as trying to get something on the resume.

--Brendan--

You know, I admire people who get involved in student government at medical school. I don't think the benefits of the job, that is a good item on a curriculum vitae, are worth the lost study time, ridicule, and oftentimes hard work endured by our student representatives.

On the other hand, I don't get involved for the same reason I didn't get involved in high school or college: I'm just "passing through" and am completely indifferent to the schools policies.