Class Rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulikedaggers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a pseudo-PF (PF with grades) school. I finished our first class with a 91%, but am only in the second quartile (class of ~110). I'm pretty sure I can't do any better (i.e. I can't get 100s on tests) and therefore will likely only get into the top quartile if other people start doing worse.

Should I just accept the second quartile and spend more time learning Step 1 relevant material rather than details specific to the course as taught by my school?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to a pseudo-PF (PF with grades) school. I finished our first class with a 91%, but am only in the second quartile (class of ~110). I'm pretty sure I can't do any better (i.e. I can't get 100s on tests) and therefore will likely only get into the top quartile if other people start doing worse.

Should I just accept the second quartile and spend more time learning Step 1 relevant material rather than details specific to the course as taught by my school?

There is nothing wrong with 2nd quartile.

If you were in the running for junior AOA, then obviously it is a problem. Doesn't sound like that is something you were aiming for, so don't sweat it.

1. Focus on Step 1 material. 2. Focus on understanding all the concepts as well as you possibly can. 3. Forget the rat race.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing wrong with 2nd quartile.

If you were in the running for junior AOA, then obviously it is a problem. Doesn't sound like that is something you were aiming for, so don't sweat it.

But I am aiming for AOA. Senior AOA would be fine, but obviously Junior AOA would be better.

I am in the same situation. I just finished the first block, and I am in the 2nd quintile. I am shooting for AOA and need to move up to the first quintile. I think we should shoot for 100s on all tests. I believe we can always learn to study more effectively.

In the beginning i was getting like 85, and now I am getting 95-100. Because I struggled in the beginning, my average is low for my first block. I definitely went through a learning curve in terms of studying effectively and predicting test questions. I am shooting for 100s and hopefully I can move up in class ranking.

I think the important thing is to learn to study effectively and know what's gonna on the tests. I believe we can all improve and do better on tests! Good luck!

Maintain a work-life balance. I cannot stress the importance of doing the things you enjoy and living your life. If you lock yourself in the library chasing grades, you will lose out in the end. Trust me. I missed a year of my life chasing class rank and grades. So what if I was #1 in the class and made all honors. Focus on learning the material and living a fulfilling life. Time is a very finite commodity and is not something to be wasted on grades or class rank.

1. Focus on Step 1 material. 2. Focus on understanding all the concepts as well as you possibly can. 3. Forget the rat race.

This.

Unless you're trying to get some kind of a reputation going on in the scientific community where you need to get into a fancy residency, do lots of research, and publish lots, etc etc.

If you're like me, you're in med school to be a physician. Therefore, follow the above. What other people (classmates) are doing has no bearing on how good of a physician you will be. That is all on you.

if you can't do any better, then that's fine. All you can do is you're best, no point in losing your whole life just to get 100s on the tests

if you can't do any better, then that's fine. All you can do is you're best, no point in losing your whole life just to get 100s on the tests

I guess I wasn't clear in the OP. I can either continue doing what I'm doing and maintain my grades as they are (I have been maintaining a good work-life balance) and hope that some of the top quartile students start to do worse as the year goes along, thus moving me into the top quartile.

Or I can spend more time doing direct Step 1 prep and less time on professor-specific-minutiae. This will more likely than not lower my grades on tests, but still keep me in the second quartile.

I guess this is what I'll be doing :)

I guess I wasn't clear in the OP. I can either continue doing what I'm doing and maintain my grades as they are (I have been maintaining a good work-life balance) and hope that some of the top quartile students start to do worse as the year goes along, thus moving me into the top quartile.

Or I can spend more time doing direct Step 1 prep and less time on professor-specific-minutiae. This will more likely than not lower my grades on tests, but still keep me in the second quartile.

I guess this is what I'll be doing :)

it really depends on what you want to do. if you are gunning for a competitive specialty or top residency program having AOA makes a HUGE difference, much more so than high step scores. + people who do well in classes tend to do well on steps.

it really depends on what you want to do. if you are gunning for a competitive specialty or top residency program having AOA makes a HUGE difference, much more so than high step scores. + people who do well in classes tend to do well on steps.

Everything I'm interested in right now is competitive. Problem is, getting AOA will mean focusing more time on minutiae.. thus reducing ability to grasp Step 1 relevant stuff.

Everything I'm interested in right now is competitive. Problem is, getting AOA will mean focusing more time on minutiae.. thus reducing ability to grasp Step 1 relevant stuff.

6 weeks is plenty time to get into the nitty gritty for step 1 imo for +1 SD on the exam. that + AOA >>>> 270 + 2-3 quartile.

Members don't see this ad :)
4th. in application cycle. definitely see differences in invites between classmates based on class rank not step scores.

I'm just telling you how I see it. Its up to you if you believe me .

4th. in application cycle. definitely see differences in invites between classmates based on class rank not step scores.

I'm just telling you how I see it. Its up to you if you believe me .

Thanks

Don't be silly. There's plenty of minutiae on Step I.

Also, I just never understood the whole dichotomy between "focusing on Step I versus focusing on the small stuff." To do extremely well on Step I (>250), you generally have to have the obvious basic principles down cold, in addition to knowing most of the small stuff.

It will vary slightly depending on what field you choose to go into, but AOA (which is usually an extension of class rank) will definitely bolster your overall application. Even in something as broad as IM (or, perhaps, ESPECIALLY in something as broad as IM), being able to check that AOA box on ERAS (assuming your school does AOA) will open doors to top programs that otherwise wouldn't give you the time of day.

In smaller specialties like Plastics and Derm, it can be the difference between getting 2 interviews and getting 12 interviews.

Don't be silly. There's plenty of minutiae on Step I.

Also, I just never understood the whole dichotomy between "focusing on Step I versus focusing on the small stuff." To do extremely well on Step I (>250), you generally have to have the obvious basic principles down cold, in addition to knowing most of the small stuff.

It will vary slightly depending on what field you choose to go into, but AOA (which is usually an extension of class rank) will definitely bolster your overall application. Even in something as broad as IM (or, perhaps, ESPECIALLY in something as broad as IM), being able to check that AOA box on ERAS (assuming your school does AOA) will open doors to top programs that otherwise wouldn't give you the time of day.

In smaller specialties like Plastics and Derm, it can be the difference between getting 2 interviews and getting 12 interviews.

By "small stuff" I'm talking about minutiae such as the following two things (these were both tested questions):

Tyrosinemia type 1 is OMIM entry 276700
Mean birth weight of Trisomy 13 newborns is 2.6kg (not 2.5, or 2.7)

Surely that sort of minutiae is not on Step 1.. or anywhere else for that matter.

By "small stuff" I'm talking about minutiae such as the following two things (these were both tested questions):

Surely that sort of minutiae is not on Step 1.. or anywhere else for that matter.

Sounds like your teachers are idiots, those kind of questions should never be tested. But yes you do need to know things I'd consider minutiae, like the chromosome translocations in burkitt's lymphoma (8:14).

Reactions: 1 user

:barf:

Sounds like your teachers are idiots, those kind of questions should never be tested. But yes you do need to know things I'd consider minutiae, like the chromosome translocations in burkitt's lymphoma (8:14).

If it appears in FA it isn't minutiae ;)

(these were both tested questions):

Which school is this? At least give me a general idea. I don't want to accidentally end up there. No offense as I'm sure it is a great school overall, but I would be very angry if I had tests with questions like that.

Big difference between details and minutiae.

Which school is this? At least give me a general idea. I don't want to accidentally end up there. No offense as I'm sure it is a great school overall, but I would be very angry if I had tests with questions like that.

Big difference between details and minutiae.

Not a top 50 school; so I'm sure you haven't even applied here. This is SDN, afterall :)

Not a top 50 school; so I'm sure you haven't even applied here. This is SDN, afterall :)

Haha thank you. Honestly I didn't apply to most of the top schools...I applied to 4 or 5 schools in the top 40 out of 20 schools on my list. But based on how the cycle has gone, I will probably be attending one of them. Crisis averted.