class rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey dents

I've read on a previous post that to specialize is dependent on gpa/classrank/boards. Does this mean that if I have a high gpa, high boards, but not a high class rank (due to a competitive class), I should just give up the goal to specialize? Overall, I'm wondering if these are the only factors, or are there others? Is an eligible class rank strictly the top 10%, top 20%, etc etc. Do you have to have a high class rank? any ways around the system. Any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In general those things are what get you an interiew. Once you have an interview it's up to you to impress the faculty and show them why they should pick you instead of others. I am a Pedo. resident and I have gone through the process myself as an applicant and on the other side twice as an interviewer for two subsequent classes. The faculty really look at your experience in the specialty which you are applying. Do as much extra work/learning that you can in your desired specialty. Some programs are big on research others are not. Research experience cannot hurt you it can only help you, but it may do nothing.
Much depends on the program you appy to. Some programs will not look at you unless you are number one or two, etc. Other programs will make allowances for a lower board score or class rank etc. if you have other qualities that they desire.
Doing an externship at the dersired school is also great experience, but better than that you get to meet the faculty and establish a relationship and let them get to know you. Lots of things come into play, but in general a high board, high gpa/class rank will get you in, unless you have an awful personality.

Any current residents or doctors know how a GPR/AEGD and private practice experience could factor into the application? I figure the programs are still going to look at rank/grades/boards, but would they also consider the fact that you are a competent practicing dentist and maybe overlook the less-than-stellar Neuro grade from freshman year? The extra experience could also give you time to make sure that is the specialty you really want - how could you know right out of dental school where exposure and time for exposure is so limited?

Any comments? Thanks.

That is exactly what happened in our Pedo. program. A less than stellar applicant was accepted bec. she had done a GPR. That becomes a factor, however, AEGD and GPR program directors don't like their residencies to be used as stepping stones.