Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

class size

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Sharon, Jan 27, 2000.

1. Sharon

Sharon New Member

I've noticed I do better in smaller classes. Anyone know which DO schools have the least number of students per class?

2. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know for sure, but my guess is that UMDNJ-SOM wins out with a first-year class of 85 students.

NYCOM and PCOM both are over 300 strong. [​IMG]

Tim of New York City.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

sharon:
    i think turtleroad ir right I believe UMDNJ hav the smallest class with a first year class size of about 80 to 86 members.

------------------
    siul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PCSOM2002

PCSOM2002 Junior Member

Sorry, but Pikeville I believe wins with a class size of 60. I think West Virginia is next with 65-70.

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pikeville has a class of 60??? Wow! That IS tiny. So how quickly do rumors spread in the class?

Tim of New York City.

6. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

FYI:

MSUCOM is around 110.

7. Okie Sooner

Okie Sooner Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

OSUCOM takes only 88 students/yr.

8. Okie Sooner

Okie Sooner Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

OSUCOM takes only 88 students/yr.

9. PCSOM2002

PCSOM2002 Junior Member

turtleboard,

Needless to say, it doesn't take long. You cannot help but know what everyone else is doing. However, the smaller size allows everyone to work together. Competition among fellow students here is virtually absent.

10. darly

darly Member
    10+ Year Member

TUCOM has around 100 students. I hear rumors spread quickly there, too.

11. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

PSCOM2002
    I agree with you being in a small class has the advantage of getting to know everybody very well. The competition is minimal. For my taste I like big class bcz it allows you to interact and learn from a huge pool of different people. Diversity brings knowledge and enrichment. but that's just me. That's why I'm going to PCOM. It's just a matter of where would you feel more confortable. How do you like the class size at your school?

------------------
    siul

12. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

UHS has around 220-230.

When I started I thought it was a lot of people. After a year, it doesn't seem that big anymore just...hmm,normal. Gossip doesn't travel that fast, it usually takes two days from something to go from one end of the class to the other... And I must admit that I only know about half of my classmates by name. Additionally, because of the large size the class is very broken down into cliques. On the other hand, and this always made a positive impression on me, the professors know most of us by name and, at times, by reputation (good or bad, LOL).

13. PCSOM2002

PCSOM2002 Junior Member

siulrc,
    I really like a small class. That is one of the reasons I chose PCSOM over a few other osteopathic schools. Those schools had over 200 students in each class, and a friend of mine at one of those schools said you could get lost in it real quick. This was only his opinion, but he and I thought very similarly. All of the professors know you by name and know what your strengths and weaknesses. The small class size also means that you can jsut walk into the profs. office and ask questions. It really works out well for me.

14. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

pcsom2002
    goood that you found a school that matches with your wants and needs. wish you the best. for me i like the dinamics of a big class plus at PCOM everybody have time for everybody. good luck

------------------
    siul

15. Matt2BeADO

Matt2BeADO Member
    10+ Year Member

UNECOM's (University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine) class of 2003 has 115 students (give or take one or two).

Sincerely,
    Matt

16. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

While KCOM has a class size of 150-170 most of the instructors still know everyone by name and are more than willing to give one on one attention. Actually they strongly encourage it.

I also do much better in small classes but have not found that to be a problem. Often when someone in the class is strugling in a subject you can just find someone in the class who is very good at the subject and will spend some time teaching you.

DON'T GIVE UP ON SCHOOLS THAT COULD BE GREAT FOR YOU JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR CLASS SIZE.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03