Class that you've skipped the most lectures in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNguyenMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Behaviorial Science, been there only twice.

I also didn't show up for the last month of Microbio/Immuno

Members don't see this ad.

I never once attended our Public Health course, not even the first day. I ended up with a B in it, which was pretty good considering a lot of my classmates got Cs. I've shown up for our Intro to Clinical Med class twice (it's a full year course) and I got a B last semester and have an A so far this semester. Wish I could say the same for neuro...

Elysium said:
I never once attended our Public Health course, not even the first day. I ended up with a B in it, which was pretty good considering a lot of my classmates got Cs. I've shown up for our Intro to Clinical Med class twice (it's a full year course) and I got a B last semester and have an A so far this semester. Wish I could say the same for neuro...

I think Neuro and Physiology were the only classes where you could get really burned in if you didnt' go to lecture. Then again I'm not a particularly good student so I'm sure many other people didn't go to those classes either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both semesters of pharmacology. It's so straightforward that there really is no need for an instructor hardly. Just know Indications, MOA, Adverse Effects and you're set.

NNguyenMD said:
Behaviorial Science, been there only twice.

I also didn't show up for the last month of Microbio/Immuno

So far >90% of my M2 year. :)

Biochem.

It's really a catch 22 because our biochem department is so well run that they provide excellent notes so most people don't feel the need to go to class since the notes explain everything. On the other hand the department has some of the better teachers but nobody goes to hear them.

yeah, I'd have to say biochem, or our public health class........the latter will come back and bite me in the ass when I have to read 12 transcriptions in a row to prep for the frickin' test. Ahhhhhhh, but the sleep was worth it :D

I've also only been to 2 behavioral science lectures and I have an A in there.

I have not been to a single lecture my entire second year, besides a couple of mandatory "doctoring" ones.

Microanatomy Labs!! Those labs suck- I can look at the slides myself.

I also never go to Epidemiology

High five DCPArk! I'm right there with you! i do BETTER in the courses I attend the least. :laugh: The Course I went to the ABSOLUTE least I got honors in. Go figure :rolleyes:

hahah man im a 2nd yr pre med I find it funny that Med students skip class I woulda never thought it possible...I love school and pre made notes

Members don't see this ad :)
geriatrics and psychiatry, oh and nutrition (basically the jist of the course is eat healthy and exercise and old people have it hard and are misunderstood; psychiatry I just didn't care enough to go...).

What my med school buddies remember most about me is the fact that I almost never went to class during the first two years, yet still became AOA.

My method of study was to read the well written syllabi that we received each course at home during the day and spend the evenings with my family.

If I had gone to class...I would have paid attention during the first lecture and then either fell asleep during the second or just stopped paying attention...just like many of my classmates. After going to class all day, I still would have had to read the syllabi.

I did go to labs and mandatory classes. :D

JAMMAN said:
If I had gone to class...I would have paid attention during the first lecture and then either fell asleep during the second or just stopped paying attention...just like many of my classmates. After going to class all day, I still would have had to read the syllabi.

I did go to labs and mandatory classes. :D
I discovered rather quickly that going to more than 2 hours of class was completely counter-productive for me. I ended up just going to the ones with the interesting lecturers (i.e. those who had personality), which wasn't very many.

At least by not making most of the lectures mandatory there was that much of a concession to the fact that people learn differently. Still way too much memorization, but that's not about to change any time soon. :rolleyes:

i just wanna say how great it is to hear this. i'm finishing up undergrad this semester and starting med school next year. i gotta tell you that going to class has become the bain of my existance... it's such a waste of time. I skip probably about 70% of my lectures right now and just learn the material on my own. Anyway, the point is that next year I can't wait to have a transcriptions service and powerpoints for each class. Give me a stack of notes tell me when to know them by.

I wonder if the preallo folks would be ripping on us for squandering a great opportunity to learn in lecture?

stoic said:
i just wanna say how great it is to hear this. i'm finishing up undergrad this semester and starting med school next year. i gotta tell you that going to class has become the bain of my existance... it's such a waste of time. I skip probably about 70% of my lectures right now and just learn the material on my own. Anyway, the point is that next year I can't wait to have a transcriptions service and powerpoints for each class. Give me a stack of notes tell me when to know them by.

I wonder if the preallo folks would be ripping on us for squandering a great opportunity to learn in lecture?

Yes, the thing to do is make appearances when it matters, attend "mandatory" classes & functions, and (if possible) develop a few close friends. And stay connected to the "word on the street" about what you MAY have missed in class that mattered (usually not much). Generally the ones who will rip on you are just jealous because they are envious (in other words they want to skip class, but won't let themselves). The students who actually find lectures useful won't care either way if you miss it- they think you are missing out, and that's what you you will think about them. It's the few who really wanna skip but won't let themselves that criticize the concept.

Another point to note is that somewhere along the way you may need a recommendation from a prof (but usually only for summer work between first & second year), so if you think this may be the case, get to know one or two (via lab time, mandatory/"professionalism" courses etc.) and you can still miss class.

Without a doubt behavioral. Followed by microbio.

sapience8x said:
High five DCPArk! I'm right there with you! i do BETTER in the courses I attend the least. :laugh: The Course I went to the ABSOLUTE least I got honors in. Go figure :rolleyes:

:thumbup: High Five right back at you!

I study by myself and like to learn on my own. However, this does not work for some people; unfortunately i told how i studied to a friend who took my advice and bombed her exams. :(

I also do research (not PhD!) in an immuno lab with some cool profs, who unfortunately don't teach any med classes. So, i would rather spend my time studying and doing research, than go to class and see my classmates sleep. :rolleyes: (never understood that!)

Sadly, it wasn't until my M2 year that I realized the beauty of skipping class. And hey, what do you know...the more class I skip, the better my grades are. Hmmm...

I skip pathology the most. We often have 3 hours of path lectures 3 days a week, and I just can't take that. So I go to the gym, go home for lunch and a shower, and then come back to school for the mandatory afternoon classes (which are usually a waste of time buat unfortunately are mandatory).

Pharm... dont remeber the last time I've been there.
why just sit there and basicly listen to someone read a PDR, Goodman and G. or Katzung.
Even I can do that.
Some path and clinical stuff, I find it better if I can hear it once

After our 1st trimester (Anatomy, Histo, Embryo, Rads) was over, I havent gone to a single class. We just finished biochem, immuno, micro, and some path...overall average = >90%....:)

In fact, I dont even know what the professors look like...and I dont really care either. Life is really good right now. Teach yourself, use board-prep books, use FA, and use scribe notes (if available at your school) and there's no way you won't do well. Med school is so much easier with no class...:)

p.s. I HATE CLASS!

Psychiatry and any other class where the prof decides to read his/her notes verbatim...

Anandimide said:
Psychiatry and any other class where the prof decides to read his/her notes verbatim...

This would be a tie between every second year class, during which time my attendance was a perfect zero.

For me, it helps to listen to the material in class from a good professor but I hate classes where the prof just reads from the book/notes....I can do that on my own. It takes me much less time to read the book/notes after attending the lecture. Lets see how this changes in medschool :D

DOCTORSAIB said:
In fact, I dont even know what the professors look like...and I dont really care either. Life is really good right now. Teach yourself, use board-prep books, use FA, and use scribe notes (if available at your school) and there's no way you won't do well. Med school is so much easier with no class...:)

p.s. I HATE CLASS!

Yeah! I showed up for Biochem on the first test day and asked a classmate, "So, is that professor J?". She kinda rolled her eyes at me. :laugh: