classes for mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drew's your daddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
besides the usual pre med requirements, are there any other classes that you feel helped you on your mcat? ive heard that anatomy, genetics, biochem and physiology are helpful. is this true? are ther any others?

Members don't see this ad.

hey..I heard analytic chemistry and p-chem might be helpful too, but let me warn you p-chem is a pain in the ass!!!! don't take it unless you have to (for major purposes!!!). I know a couple of people that are top students, but they were just happy to pass the class after taking it...anyways good luck!

I took genetics and physiology before the MCAT, and I found them very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely found Biochem to be helpful.

I'll second genetics and physiology. Definitely genetics more than physio. As for biochem, I didn't find that there were that many (if any) problems outside the realm of organic chem. I also took the MCAT in August, 2000, so things may have changed since then.

I only took the basic premed req.s and I felt I was at a major disadvantage...I've heard human phys helps a lot

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•I only took the basic premed req.s and I felt I was at a major disadvantage...I've heard human phys helps a lot•••••Ya know, whoever that is in the new picture, I like her better than Brittany.

I switched the pic to Shakira because I'm sick of Britney's superficial barbie doll attitude. I don't like her music or her dull personality. I just thought she looked cute in that picture.

But Shakira has flava! And I feel latina today, so there ya go! :wink:

p.s. I'm glad such a serious post was #700! :D

700 posts in a month.. oh man....

right when I finished with typing that.. it became 701.... wow...

I took poetry. Yep. Poetry.

Back to the topic. . . for the love of god don't take p-chem. The class sucks, is very abstract, and will be of no use to you on the MCAT. Analytical chem might help, but only to reinforce what you learned in Gen Chem.

Based on the practice tests I have seen, I'd stick with biochem, genetics, and maybe physio if you are so inclined.

yeah,

poetry is rad.

--spicoli

There is little or no anatomy on the MCAT...just physiology, and pretty basic phys. at that. I had to take phys. for my major, and it definitely helped out. My friend who hadn't taken it mentioned that he felt underprepared for some of the questions. If you're taking Princeton Review (which I highly recommend), they'll go over what you need to know. I wouldn't take a physiology class just for the MCAT, but if you're applying to the Texas schools, you need an extra year of bio. lecture, and physiology would be a good one.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by pdxstudent:
•Isn't Shakira from europe? Or is she from a latin american country?

Anyway, doesn't everyone have to take anatomy and physiology sequences in order satisfy prerequisites?•••••no, generally speaking.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by pdxstudent:
•Isn't Shakira from europe? Or is she from a latin american country?

Anyway, doesn't everyone have to take anatomy and physiology sequences in order satisfy prerequisites?•••••Shakira is colombiana, I believe

Anatomy and physiology are not required for med school....I can't think of one that has it as a requirement, but some might.

Shakira's from Columbia, and her father is Lebanese. She's amazingly hot, has anyone seen her new video, "Underneath Your Clothes?"