Classes for next semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DF38

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on what class to take in the fall. I've pretty much got my class schedule worked out, I just need one more class to fill it out and I can't decide what to take. Here's my two choices:

General Endocrinology
A survey of the neuroendocrine physiology of major systems including the hormones of the hypothalamus, pituitary, adrenal, pancreas, thyroid, GI track, and reproductive systems. The molecular-cellular control of general metabolism and reproduction in both health and disease is considered.

Genetic Analysis
Discussion of classical and modern genetics. Topics will be drawn from the following: Mendelian inheritance, recombination and linkage, cytogenetics, model genetic systems, mutation analysis, mitochondrial and chloroplast genetics.

I'm not really thrilled about either one, since I've heard bad things about both professors, but they're the only ones that fit into my schedule. Any opinions? Ideas on which one would be more helpful for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

DF38 said:
I need some advice on what class to take in the fall. I've pretty much got my class schedule worked out, I just need one more class to fill it out and I can't decide what to take. Here's my two choices:

General Endocrinology
A survey of the neuroendocrine physiology of major systems including the hormones of the hypothalamus, pituitary, adrenal, pancreas, thyroid, GI track, and reproductive systems. The molecular-cellular control of general metabolism and reproduction in both health and disease is considered.

Genetic Analysis
Discussion of classical and modern genetics. Topics will be drawn from the following: Mendelian inheritance, recombination and linkage, cytogenetics, model genetic systems, mutation analysis, mitochondrial and chloroplast genetics.

I'm not really thrilled about either one, since I've heard bad things about both professors, but they're the only ones that fit into my schedule. Any opinions? Ideas on which one would be more helpful for med school?

Dayum, now they're posting course info for us, too? What IS the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm sure you actually have many more choices than these, but I couldn't possibly tell you what to take without knowing the other courses you decided on. Can you provide course info for those, too?

MediMama23 said:
Dayum, now they're posting course info for us, too? What IS the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm sure you actually have many more choices than these, but I couldn't possibly tell you what to take without knowing the other courses you decided on. Can you provide course info for those, too?
Haha, just thought I'd give you all the details. Anyways, here's my other courses
-Statistics & Evaluation (needed for my major)
-Cardiovascular Physiology (also needed for major)
-Public Speaking (to fulfill our bs "performing arts" requirement)
-CIA and Society (cause it sounds like a freaking cool class)

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
That CIA class does sound rockin'!!! :thumbup:

Have you taken Genetics already? If so, this class might not be so bad.

Both classes would be helpful for med school, but I think Endocrinology might be moreso. What topic do you like better?

My opinion: Figure it out for yourself.

DF38 said:

General Endocrinology

Genetic Analysis

Endocrine. You get to do surgeries!

genetics is probably more useful for the mcat, which is a big factor for a lot of people when choosing classes.

i'd suggest taking neither and just taking something fun and interesting...i took a lit class on literature and addiction where we read kerouac and burroughs, trainspotting, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

if you're not interested in either class, don't take either class.... :idea:

Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'm leaning toward taking endocrine, I was just hesitant cause I've heard it's really hard. At least if it'll be useful in med school, I feel like all the work will be worth it. Oh, and the MCAT's don't matter, since I'm going to be a senior and I'm taking them this semester.

I was thinking about taking another "fun" class, but then I wouldn't have any science classes (cardio phys is in the kines department), and I want to have something to put on update letters to med schools (assuming I'm doing well in the course...).