1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Classes for years 1, 2, 3 to take the dat?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by doctor123456789, Aug 15, 2011.

1. doctor123456789

2+ Year Member

Hey guys, I'm going to be a freshman in university in a couple of days. And i really could use some help!

I tried talking to my Health Profession Counselor but he didn't seem too interested in me because he thought I wasn't being serious about going into dentistry because I'm a undeclared major right now. I told him that next quarter i'm switching into bio and that i didn't know what i was interested in when i made my application, but he thought that im not motivated. Anyway, what changed my mind was the anatomy class i took in 12th grade after the applications were in, but he didnt listen to me, now did he :rolleyes: He then told me i should take: chem, org chem, bio, molecular bio, cell bio, microbiology, biochem, physiology, anatomy, genetics, and nutrition to study for the DAT. I then told him thankyou, and left on a good note so he won't treat me like crap next time.

Now I'm coming to the people that actually have taken the test, and i really need your help, so that i can plan what classes to take my first year and second year. Please help me out guys!

So right now im taking Chem, calc, and an elective or two. I'm on the quarter system, so there are 3 quarters in a school year. I'd really appreciate it if someone could make a guideline to go by to make my classes. The last day to register for classes is really really soon, and i was counting on him to help me, but he wouldnt even tell me what order to take the classes.
    (I wanna knock out calc out the way first year)

I really don't know in what order to take my classes that is best for the DAT. and im trying to take the DAT so that i graduate undergrad in 4 years and then go to dental school Can someone please help me (and maybe even pop in when i would take the dat) and give me a guide like:

Year 1
    Fall
    Chem
    Calc

Winter
    Chem
    Calc
    (anything else?)

Spring
    Chem
    Calc
    (anything else?)

Year2
    fall
    winter
    spring

Year 3
    fall
    winter
    spring
    Summer
    DAT?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doctor123456789

2+ Year Member

or do people take the test after the second year?

4. kleervision

Pre-Dental
    Just look up pre-reqs and schedule them out so you can have them all or mostly completed by the time you apply.... I took my test this past week (in the summer between my 3rd and 4th undergrad years) and also applied this summer. I pretty much took it at the last possible time for me though and if I messed up I would've been in trouble lol so plan accordingly

5. kleervision

Pre-Dental
    You don't NEED to take any classes to take the DAT, but here are the science classes I took in undergrad by the time I took my test:

2 semesters of general biology (weeding-out class at my school)
    2 semesters of general chemistry
    2 semesters of ochem
    1 semester anatomy
    1 semester ecology
    1 semester evolution
    1 semester genetics
    1 semester microbiology
    1 semester histology
    1 semester physiology
    2 semesters physics

i THINK thats about it.... the class that helped me on the DAT the most was Physio I feel like, damn I remembered so much stuff on the bio section from that class.

6. Goose340

Pre-Dental
    If you are going to be a BIO major then I would start off with Gen Bio for the first year. I would do something like this.

1st year:
    -Gen Biology
    -Calc or Stats(stats will help out on the QR section of DAT)
    -other classes needed to graduate

2nd year:
    -Gen Chem
    -Biology such as Cell Bio, Genetics, Ecology...
    -classes needed to graduate

3rd year:
    -OChem
    -More Bio courses

TAKE DAT IN MAY and apply first week possible.

4th year:
    -Biochemistry
    -Bio courses that will be taken the first year of dental school such as Histology, Physiology, exc.

This is just a basic outline. I would just emphasize that ochem should be taken right before you take the DAT. I think it will help.

7. kleervision

Pre-Dental
    I took ochem a year before I took my test and I got a 28... ochem on the DAT is a grip easier than real orgo. but I do agree it would've helped hahaha. And physio, I seriously think you should consider taking it before your test it helped me tons

8. jackalo34

Pre-Dental
    +1

9. RealDonald

Pre-Dental
    I would suggest taking your intro to bio 1 and 2 and gen chem 1 and 2 your first year at the same time. then ochem 1 and 2 your sophomore year

10. DentistDMD

Removed

Complete bolded classes in the quote during your first two years and strive for "A"s in them.

1) Bio1, chem1, (maybe anatomy too if you can fit it into your schedule) during your first semester
    2) Bio2, chem2, and bio elective (choose from the above) during your second semester
    3) Bio elective, ochem1, another bio elective (maybe physics 1 if you can handle it) during your third semester
    4) Bio elective, ochem2, another bio elective (maybe physics 2) during your forth semester
    5) your call from this point on

Good luck.

PS. If I were you, I would take DAT right after your second year, assuming you've followed the above schedule.

11. youknowthedrill

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    In defense of your pre-health counselor- they see a ton of freshmen who plan to become doctors/dentists. Most of them will end up failing a couple of science classes and choosing alternative majors.

But, most advisors don't really know what's required to get into dental school. There are a few good ones, but many of them will give you incorrect info. You're smart to make a plan. Find the websites of a couple of dental schools and make sure you schedule the classes that you'll need. Physics I/II is required to get into dental school, but its not tested on the DAT.

Stay focused and keep your grades up and you'll be golden.

12. doctor123456789

2+ Year Member

I can look up what each dental school wants on my own. What i want to know is what classes i should take before the DAT, so that i will know the material covered on the test.

From what i read on your reviews, im thinking:

Year1
    Chem
    Calc

Year2
    ochem
    bio
    (Maybe physio? is it needed for the dat?)

Summer of Y2
    DAT

So now i have two questions:

How soon should i start studying for the dat?

And are Ochem, chem, calc, and bio the only classes i need to know all the information on the DAT?

#11 doctor123456789, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  13. slm266

slm266 Dentist
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    just become a bio major and take classes that will be on DAT:

bio 1,2, physiology, anatomy, ecology, evolution, animal & plant diversity
    gen chem 1, 2
    o chem 1, 2

you dont need calc for DAT.

14. Augusta92

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree with slm266. The only thing I would add is Biochemistry. I really wish I had taken biochem before the DAT! I also did not take animal & plant diversity, and there turned out to be quite a few questions on my DAT pertaining to that subject matter.

Good Luck!

#13 Augusta92, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011