Classes that will help you get a great score on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drimprobable

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what pre reqs classes would one have to take in order to get a high score on the MCAT. Starting from Freshman to Senior. I will be taking the newer MCAT in 2015, so what would be the best course load to take?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! If you are a bio major I wouldn't worry to much about taking classes specifically for the MCAT. The most critical classes are going to be your freshman bios, chems, and intro physics courses. The only classes besides your required courses that could help would be maybe genetics, physiology, cell bio, or micro. You will most likely have to take these anyway though. Having the background of those classes will definitely give you the familiarity factor when you start studying for the MCAT but your specific MCAT studying will be what gets you a good score. Knowing the info well is only part of the MCAT equation! Applying that knowledge to MCAT specific testing is absolutely critical and many people who approach the test thinking their background is suitable to get them through will have a rude surprise(personal experience). That being said, study well and get the most out of those classes so you will be as familiar with the material when you start your prep. I would personally wait until you finish junior year at the least so you have that background. Until then, do as well as you can in your courses and don't worry too much about the MCAT until the time comes. There are so many aspects of successfully getting into medical school and you really just have to take one day at a time. I admire your attitude though! You shouldn't need more than a summer of quality studying to succeed with the MCAT. Also, no one really knows what the 2015 MCAT will be like yet so your approach will need to be different than anyone here can currently advise you on.

All the prereqs obviously. Also, when I recently took the MCAT, there was a lot of A&P on there so I would suggest that. Also I hadn't taken some upper level classes like advanced molecular bio (not sure what they call it at your school, but I'm sure you know what I mean) and biochem, but I definitely saw some of that on the real thing. Especially now that I'm in those classes now haha definitely kicking myself over those missed questions that I remember.

To be honest with you, a lot of the practice books like Kaplan didn't really emphasize some of the stuff I saw on my exam. They mostly had stuff covered in the prereqs, but I saw some upper level stuff too. I'm no expert, but I think any and all upper level classes will help you not only get those small details right, but also to become a better critical thinker and tie different biological concepts together.

That being said, definitely consider A&P 1 and 2, Biochem, and something in Genetics/Advanced cell bio/microbio, etc. I don't think classes like histo and immuno would be all that helpful with details but still valuable anyway for other reasons.

I think any class that will have you reading journal articles and thinking experimentally (controls, logic, etc.) will help. I think sitting in on a graduate seminar class would help with that.

I was wondering what pre reqs classes would one have to take in order to get a high score on the MCAT. Starting from Freshman to Senior. I will be taking the newer MCAT in 2015, so what would be the best course load to take?

You can preview some here, or just take them: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/1247592/

You really should take:
1. Physics
2. General Chemistry
3. Biology
4. Organic Chemistry

That's all I took prior to taking the MCAT, and I scored above the 95th percentile in all of the science sections. I gave the link above in case there are some helpful upper level classes you want to look into.

Reactions: 1 user