Classes the year before dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The final year of undergrad before dental school, what classes would you take?

• Stay sharp for those didactic courses... you'll be glad you did when the time comes

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Have fun, because you'll never study "other" stuff again!

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters

boboli_chef

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it's almost time for me to register for new classes, would you guys recommend.....?

1) take classes that would prepare me for the upcoming basic sciences the in dental school next year

OR

2) take stuff that has nothing to do with dentistry, since that's all I'll be doing for the next four years

Members don't see this ad.

3) take no classes and bum around!!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
number 1 if you're going to a more "challenging school" but number 2 if you're going to a more "lab related school"...

but it doesn't hurt to take some of the basic sciences...

how come not both?
i dont quite understand y we cant study something else after we graduate?
we can always take extension courses later on, right?

it is true that we learn better at an earlier stage, but that's no mean to stop learning after we are dentists.

I've been trying to do 1 and 2 for most of the time- my Neuroscience of Pain course this semester is actually taught by a bunch of gues lecturers, many from UMD dental school and yet I'm practically majoring in art history- but next semester is all about fun things I'll never get to take again. Except physics, that's in the category of stupid things that make me worry about not being able to graduate on time. Besides physics and physics lab I'm taking The Occult in Europe including magic, astrology, demonology, and alchemy; Origins of Human Sexual Orientation and Variation including s/m, fetishism, voyeurism, and exhibitionism; and then doing research with marmosets studying their vocalization patterns! Hehe, I'm excited AND I scared my parents, two birds with one stone right there.

Originally posted by ohcdn
3) take no classes and bum around!!!:D

Thats exactly what I'm doing!! :clap:

take no classes and bum around Thats the best thing you could do

#1. Take courses that would help me in the dental school.

I am going to take some weak classes and enjoy myself.....at the bars...booyah.

i made the mistake of taking biochemistry and its haunting me this semester. i don't want to study! there is a serious case of senior-itis going around. i don't think its physically possible to take science classes where you actually think. unless u want your GPA to go down. :cool:

I suggest getting some training as a dental technician. For schools that require you to do your own lab work, I heard that proficiency in that area can save you many long hours in the lab.

Originally posted by catwoman219
i made the mistake of taking biochemistry and its haunting me this semester. i don't want to study! there is a serious case of senior-itis going around. i don't think its physically possible to take science classes where you actually think. unless u want your GPA to go down. :cool:

Been there, done that!

study enough to learn the material and do fairly well. Don't burn yourself out, but don't slack off either.

The summer before dental school is more than enough time to do what you want. Besides, money will be an issue, and this will limit what you can do over summer anyway. Dental school doesn't allow much room to make money, so budget yourself during the summer before, as well.

I can tell you from my experience thus far that I don't regret one bit taking more difficult classes my junior and senior years in undergrad. I felt pretty fortunate to be relaxed in situations that had a good portion of my classmates stressed out.

Here's a few I'd recommend:
Endocrinology, Histology, Physiology, and Biochemistry. I wouldn't go through the stress of gross anatomy though. My buddies that did take it in undergrad said it didn't really help all that much because of the detail that you go into with the head/neck unit...plus you'd, ideally, like to spend as little time with dead bodies as you can.

If you don't already have information about courses in dental school that are offered at your undergrad institution I'd find out and take, within reason, what I could. It will make life easier down the road!

Right now, I'm working part-time, and I plan on taking business classes next semester. In my opinion, since the business aspects of dentistry are not thoroughly discussed in dental school (this is what my dentist stated), now would be the best time to take business classes.