JustNeedAdvice

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
www.instagram.com
Status
Pre-Dental, Dental Student
Hello SDN!

I have a question regarding what classes to take as an Informal Post Bac Student at Cal State Fullerton. Do you feel I should retake classes in which I got C's in (Ex: Microbiology/Microbiology Lab, Physics), or should I focus on all Upper Division Biology Coursework and aim for A's to show SMP admissions committee that I mastered the subjects?

My numbers:

Overall GPA - 2.936
BCPM - 2.647
Non science - 3.381

Shadowing/Dental Intern - 173 hours
Homeless Shelter Volunteer - 30 hours
Hospital Volunteer - 70 hours
Undergraduate Research Experience - 640 hours
Tons of hours as a tutor & caretaker

Do you guys/gals also recommend I do 16+ unit semesters? Because I currently am a Dental Assistant, or should I focus on 12 units and working 18 (part time) hours a week?

Thank you for your time reading this post and any advice will be greatly appreciated! Fall semester starts tomorrow!

OP
JustNeedAdvice

JustNeedAdvice

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
www.instagram.com
Status
Pre-Dental, Dental Student
I would do less hours and get that GPA up. A 4.0 with 12 hours will look better than a 3.5 or less with 16+ hours. You should do whatever you can to get that BCPM up
Thanks for your response! Should I consider quitting being a Dental Assistant and just do the best I can in my classes? The only reason I am working as a DA is to get more experience that'll look better on my application when I do begin applying to Dental School.

May 19, 2015
CA NY FL OH MI DC THE MOON - I get around
Status
Pre-Dental
I mean if you can quit and take more credit hours, you will be able to raise that GPA faster. Is there any way you can work less hours (or even just work weekends)? DA is a great experience to have going into the interview, but schools need to make sure you will be able to handle the classwork. You have a good amount of ECs from what I see and need focus on your GPA going up. A strong upward trend would go a long way I'm sure. I know people that are in, have finished, and some that even dropped out of dental school...it is a gauntlet from what I hear.