Classes to take before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Now that I'm in, and im only signed up for 6 sem hours next spring (im a senior)...i was wondering if there are any courses i can take right now that can majorly help me in med school. Any suggestions?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Gross Anatomy and Biochem seem to generate the most complaints from people during first semester, so if you could take either of those in spring, that would probably be a good idea.

I didn't have any trouble not having an anatomy class beforehand, but definately take biochem before med school. I'd also recommend a medical physiology course. If you feel like it, take a microbiology course and immunology, but don't load yourself down. You'll work hard enough when you get here. If you only need to add one more course, I say definately biochem.

I think taking one medical related course is fine... anatomy or biochemistry is ok. I personally had a harder time with anatomy (I'm not a great memorizer).

I would also, as a fourth year medical student, strongly advocate taking any course that you've always wanted to take in college, but never got around to. In the long run I guarantee you'll forget the details of anatomy or biochem, but you will probably always benefit from that art history, music, or literature, course. Not to mention that with your admission to medical school you also bought yourself four years of medical coursework-- I think that's plenty!

congratulations on your admission!
-cardigan