classes to take before medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Now that I'm in, and im only signed up for 6 sem hours next spring (im a senior)...i was wondering if there are any courses i can take right now that can majorly help me in med school. Any suggestions?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by realruby2000:
•Hey everyone,

Now that I'm in, and im only signed up for 6 sem hours next spring (im a senior)...i was wondering if there are any courses i can take right now that can majorly help me in med school. Any suggestions?

thanks.•••

many, if they are offered that is :)

Biochem, physiology, neurosciences, gross anatomy.

many dont take all of these, but since you asked for those which would majorly help, i surmise its these 4. Congrats on your acceptance! :)

This will be your last chance to take fun, interesting classes. If you have a slight interest in anything take a course in it. You've worked hard for 3 1/2 to 4 or 5 years. Have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote this in the Allopathic forum already, but Biochem and Gross Anatomy are the classes that seem to generate the most complaints and frustration. If you can take one of these two, you'll probably appreciate it in the fall. Neuro might be wise, physiology would probably be a waste of time in comparison to the others.

how about histology and lab? i would take a dance class! so then I can go to a med school party and show off the moves!

How abt immunology??? I'm taking that now. I suck at it, but you might have a better luck with it. :D

I understand that you are entering medical school next year/ You should just relax but if you you want to get a handle on the work load,
I am a 2nd year medical student and have put all my course work on Computer, all the material from all my classes are organized by subject matter, They are digitally indexed as well, Im offering these notes to students and those who saw them and purchased them ... They Loved them, If your interested I can email you a few free samples..

Im also working with local charaties to raise funding for research as well ... so the money goes to a good cause .

Good Luck,

Take a class you've always wanted to take, preferably something not in the sciences. Take a humanities class, philosophy or art. This is your last chance to do so for life. What you learn in med school will be so deep that undergrad classes will only offer you the basics. Or maybe you can take a good science and another interesting class.

Depending on your major you might have already taken
Physio, Cell, Neuro, BioChem, Genetics, Mol Bio etc.

I would suggest taking

Immuno, Virology, Microbio, Parasitology, these are hard but good.

This is a little off the topic of the original post, but I would appreciate any feedback. I'm just wondering what classes you think are best for MCAT....I've heard so many varying opinions. I'll have the basic chem, bio, physics and orgo...but what else? Thanks!

I agree with those who said to just have fun. If you do not need to take any more classes, don't. If you really want to take a useful med school class, I would vote for anatomy (was the hardest for me - in terms of being very time consuming) or biochem (many of my classmates have had trouble with this - it was my major). Otherwise, just have fun - you'll be working pretty hard once you get into school, so I would try to have as much fun as possible and relax now - before you start in the Fall. Good luck!