Classes to take before starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Now that I'm in, and im only signed up for 6 sem hours next spring (im a senior)...i was wondering if there are any courses i can take right now that can majorly help me in med school. Any suggestions?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends to some extent where you are accepted, but based on my experiences as a first year medical student, I would say:

Anatomy, Biochemistry, Immunology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Physiology, Histology, Physiology, Embryology, Microbiology would all be helpful. Even if you fail the course, just the initial exposure will help later.

Very wise planning on your part. I am very grateful to have taken the classes I did.

Hey realruby2000, where are you going to school right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to the university of Illinois at U-C... planning on goin to CCOM next year. you?

Urbana-Champaign? I went there for two years studying computer science, and currently I'm at UIC. Like yourself, I'm most likely heading off to CCOM next year..

Oh yeah, as for courses that may be helpful for next year, I suggest taking the Anatomy/Physiology course offered at UIUC. It may be tough to register for the course since students in the ALS department get first priority, but I think it's worth the trouble because you might find the course extremely helpful next year.