Classes To Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyzero

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have had information thrown at me from so many places, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on here.

What types of classes should I take (besides the pre-reqs, of course) for my undergraduate education?

People have suggested latin, strongly suggested actually.
Some others have said don't waste the time with latin.

Members don't see this ad.

Good advice, I am mainly going to be choosing classes based on intrests, but wondered if there were any classes that could be helpful for me later on.

I've heard from some people (including current docs) that taking biochemistry is helpful, since you'll have to take it once you get to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, to expand on the first question I asked, what do most pre-meds major in?

Is it always something like biology, anatomy, is it always a hard science major?

Or are their medschool students with a bach in computer science or theatre or something?

There are lots of medical students out there who earned a bachelor's degree in a field that has nothing to do with medicine. There are plenty of people in med school with degrees in economics, english, comparitive literature, political science, philosophy, etc. You can major in whatever you want be "premed" as long as you take the premedical prerequisite courses (1 year of general chem, 1 year of organic chem, 1 year of physics, 1 year of math, and sometimes..1 year of english). Medical school want to diversify their entering class as much as possible so they love taking people from fields that are completely unrelated to medicine. However, there is one catch here...you must DO WELL in whatever field you choose to pursue (as another poster pointed out). They won't care what your major is as long as you did well in it. Just major in whatever area interests you the most...

By all means major in something you like. This is such cliche advice you'll hear from anyone but so true. You're going to take a lot of hard science whether or not you're majoring in a hard science or english. There are med students with bachelor's degrees in everything! Plus, as your first year progresses you'll see what you like and don't like about your classes and maybe think about changing your major anyhow. Alot of people do. But then again, don't be dissuaded from a biology major if you really enjoy biology. I began college as a psych major because it was what I had taken college courses in, enjoyed and excelled in. Now I'm starting my second year as a double major, psych and bio because I've found I really enjoy bio and the major was a good fit for me. Good luck in your first year! I've just been through it so I know where you're coming from firsthand! PM me anytime:)

there's lots of interesting classes to take other than pre-req's. If you really want to show a school that you have a complete handle on medical science, many schools offer undergrad physiology and pharmacology courses. Taking biochem and gross anatomy your senior year will likely make your first year of medical school a bit more sane.

If we are not speaking in terms of science, then yes, Latin is a good course to take as much medical terminolgy is rooted in Latin. There are other things to consider as well. This fall I will be taking a medical ethics class (you may find this under different departments at different schools-bio, philosophy, whatever), which I hope will aid me in my ability to answer all those dreaded stem cell/abortion questions you hear about on app's and in interviews.

Bottom line: Just take courses and a major that interest you, and do well!

I majored in history and alot of my classmates were non-science majors as well (but as a former post bac, mine might not be the best example). I agree with the poster that recommended taking biochem as an undergrad, plus it may help with the MCAT. Major in something fun, because when you get to med school the party's over!+pity+

Anyone recommend or recommend against double majoring?