Classified as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockhamptonfanacct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering if scribing/working as a tech at an optometry clinic would count as clinical experience. I would imagine not, as there are no MD/DOs at the practice, but I thought I would check and ask anyway.

Would particularly appreciate adcom feedback. Thank you in advance! @Goro @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

It should. When I worked in a similar capacity, I took notes on my experiences so that I had something to draw from for essays/2ndaries/interviews. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are paramedics/EMTs not involved in clinical work since there is no MD/DO around?

I would argue those are not comparable to scribing at an optometry clinic. Paramedics/EMTs assist in the initial procedures that are later completed by physicians and other healthcare workers. Paramedics and EMTs also deal with a patient population that is in the throes of needing treatment. From my experiences visiting an optometry clinic versus shadowing an ophthalmologist, the people who visit optometry clinics are generally healthy; there is a reason they are being seen by an OD, not an MD/DO (which is not to negate the importance of ODs at all! Just a delineation between the two needs of the populations).

I would argue those are not comparable to scribing at an optometry clinic. Paramedics/EMTs assist in the initial procedures that are later completed by physicians and other healthcare workers. Paramedics and EMTs also deal with a patient population that is in the throes of needing treatment. From my experiences visiting an optometry clinic versus shadowing an ophthalmologist, the people who visit optometry clinics are generally healthy; there is a reason they are being seen by an OD, not an MD/DO (which is not to negate the importance of ODs at all! Just a delineation between the two needs of the populations).

I get your Pov. Like someone helping in a vet clinic is vastly different from in the ED.

EDIT: I knew a couple of upperclassmen that worked as pharmacy techs as their only clinical exposure and they got into our state MD school if that helps in any sense.

I believe that it does count as clinical experience but it also says I want to be an optometrist.

I believe, anyone can correct me if I am wrong, that working as an ophthalmic tech or MA is clinical exposure. The problem is that the place you are referring to is an optometrist clinic which is not a physician as you stated. Try to find a private practice ophthalmology clinic where you can work as a tech or scribe and explain you are pre-med and that you want to observe the physician with surgeries. You could also get a killer letter from that experience. That is what I am planning on doing! :) Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe, anyone can correct me if I am wrong, that working as an ophthalmic tech or MA is clinical exposure. The problem is that the place you are referring to is an optometrist clinic which is not a physician as you stated. Try to find a private practice ophthalmology clinic where you can work as a tech or scribe and explain you are pre-med and that you want to observe the physician with surgeries. You could also get a killer letter from that experience. That is what I am planning on doing! :) Good luck.
Agree.