• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Classified as clinical experience?

brockhamptonfanacct

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all. I was wondering if scribing/working as a tech at an optometry clinic would count as clinical experience. I would imagine not, as there are no MD/DOs at the practice, but I thought I would check and ask anyway.

Would particularly appreciate adcom feedback. Thank you in advance! @Goro @LizzyM

About the Ads

brockhamptonfanacct

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
Are paramedics/EMTs not involved in clinical work since there is no MD/DO around?

I would argue those are not comparable to scribing at an optometry clinic. Paramedics/EMTs assist in the initial procedures that are later completed by physicians and other healthcare workers. Paramedics and EMTs also deal with a patient population that is in the throes of needing treatment. From my experiences visiting an optometry clinic versus shadowing an ophthalmologist, the people who visit optometry clinics are generally healthy; there is a reason they are being seen by an OD, not an MD/DO (which is not to negate the importance of ODs at all! Just a delineation between the two needs of the populations).

D

deleted1040417

I would argue those are not comparable to scribing at an optometry clinic. Paramedics/EMTs assist in the initial procedures that are later completed by physicians and other healthcare workers. Paramedics and EMTs also deal with a patient population that is in the throes of needing treatment. From my experiences visiting an optometry clinic versus shadowing an ophthalmologist, the people who visit optometry clinics are generally healthy; there is a reason they are being seen by an OD, not an MD/DO (which is not to negate the importance of ODs at all! Just a delineation between the two needs of the populations).

I get your Pov. Like someone helping in a vet clinic is vastly different from in the ED.

EDIT: I knew a couple of upperclassmen that worked as pharmacy techs as their only clinical exposure and they got into our state MD school if that helps in any sense.

itsme87123

May 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I believe, anyone can correct me if I am wrong, that working as an ophthalmic tech or MA is clinical exposure. The problem is that the place you are referring to is an optometrist clinic which is not a physician as you stated. Try to find a private practice ophthalmology clinic where you can work as a tech or scribe and explain you are pre-med and that you want to observe the physician with surgeries. You could also get a killer letter from that experience. That is what I am planning on doing! :) Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds Clinical & Research
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
I believe, anyone can correct me if I am wrong, that working as an ophthalmic tech or MA is clinical exposure. The problem is that the place you are referring to is an optometrist clinic which is not a physician as you stated. Try to find a private practice ophthalmology clinic where you can work as a tech or scribe and explain you are pre-med and that you want to observe the physician with surgeries. You could also get a killer letter from that experience. That is what I am planning on doing! :) Good luck.
Agree.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.