Classifying writing seminars on different topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDapplicant578124

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you require all of them to meet your English requirement or just one or two?
I think of Philosophy as more rigorous English since it takes a lot of effort to put down the thought processes compared to writing a simple english essay.

Scientific writing is definitely not considered an english requirement since it is more about ensuring a specific way of writing. Not so sure about evolution either. Nazi Germany sounds interesting but not so sure it counts as English. Philosophy and classics are most likely candidates that are acceptable replacements to English.

My understanding is that the AMCAS classification is only to calculate your BCPM and AO GPAs. In other words, it doesn’t matter how you classify them for satisfying prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how you classify your courses:

"Each course in the AMCAS application must be classified strictly on the primary content of the course. You are responsible for selecting the correct course classification, but AMCAS reserves the right to change classifications if the assigned classification clearly does not apply.

In the event that you are unable to comfortably classify a course, or in the case of interdisciplinary courses, refer to the description of the course on your school's Web site or consult with your Pre-health Advisor to choose the most appropriate classification."

Do you know how I should classify the two sciencey writing seminars? I feel like they definitely don't fit in English or Bio, maybe I should just do other?
Evolution can fall under Biology or health sciences. Science writing is probably other or special studies.