Classmates posting political posts on facebook...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Commenting them and expressing their opinion with a bit too much love/hate. I mean is it normal for a medical professional to do such things? I for one am specifically avoiding posting such things or making comments just because half of your classmates may have different view, often biased and it's not the time and place to stick it to everyone IMHO. It's definitely not going to make a productive and caring, relaxing atmosphere for studying when you know that your classmate hates party you and your family are voting for and vise versa. I thought this goes without saying that in medical school it's better to be neutral at least in things you do openly such as posts that everyone can see for example. I'm not saying they can't have political opinion, but keep it personal, go vote, but don't shove it to us and stick it to our face... what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

How about you don't be overly sensitive to something as trivial as political criticisms? I mean jeez, if someone says they hate Bernie/Trump/Hilary what does it matter? It's not like they are spitting on your mother or assaulting you.

If this bothers you so much that you can't function, what are you going to do when you when you work with a hardcore leftist/rightist who is vocal about their opinions? Or better yet, what will you do when you treat one of those people? Request a new co-worker/patient because "he offends muh safe place?"

I mean God forbid someone has different opinions than you and expresses them.

Commenting them and expressing their opinion with a bit too much love/hate. I mean is it normal for a medical professional to do such things? I for one am specifically avoiding posting such things or making comments just because half of your classmates may have different view, often biased and it's not the time and place to stick it to everyone IMHO. It's definitely not going to make a productive and caring, relaxing atmosphere for studying when you know that your classmate hates party you and your family are voting for and vise versa. I thought this goes without saying that in medical school it's better to be neutral at least in things you do openly such as posts that everyone can see for example. I'm not saying they can't have political opinion, but keep it personal, go vote, but don't shove it to us and stick it to our face... what do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
How about you don't be overly sensitive to something as trivial as political criticisms? I mean jeez, if someone says they hate Bernie/Trump/Hilary what does it matter? It's not like they are spitting on your mother or assaulting you.

If this bothers you so much that you can't function, what are you going to do when you when you work with a hardcore leftist/rightist who is vocal about their opinions? Or better yet, what will you do when you treat one of those people? Request a new co-worker/patient because "he offends muh safe place?"

I mean God forbid someone has different opinions than you and expresses them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You clearly misunderstood me. I'm saying that expressing your opinion in med.school with for example hate posts on a class facebook page is not appropriate, don't you agree? This is already leftist/rightist vocalizing their opinion in med.school, no need to wait for becoming an attending to experience that. Patients are another thing, I'm going to take it just fine whatever they say, but a school facebook page where I look for info and study support is not appropriate at all if you ask me. It's good that we have different opinions, but again, we are discussing it here, anonymously and no one is hurt. Imagine if such holy-war starts on facebook page where everyone knows everyone and even teachers can see that. Again, dude, you are overreacting to my post by saying that "God forbid someone has different opinions than you and expresses them" - that's not what I said, that's what you think, that's what who you are. I said that expressing their opinion with HATE on a class facebook page is not something good (to say the least). If you don't see the point here and you can't see difference between what you imagined and what I said - that's your problem, I'm not going to escalate it, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your classmates have a right to express their opinion, and good young men have died to protect that right.

If they get unprofessional, let the deans worry about it.

Like it or not, there are always people who will not hold the same opinions or belief systems as you. And people are also allowed to hate your choices. Don't take it personally.

Reactions: 7 users
Your classmates have a right to express their opinion, and good young men have died to protect that right.

If they get unprofessional, let the deans worry about it.

Like it or not, there are always people who will not hold the same opinions or belief systems as you. And people are also allowed to hate your choices. Don't take it personally.

^This message should be told to all of us under 25.

Just because you don't agree with someone else's views doesn't mean you need a "safe space" or that they should be silenced. This country was founded on the great principle that all of us get a say with our one vote and many people have died throughout the years to defend it. If you don't like something then vote it out.

As far as your classmates go. Listen to what they have to say but hold true to your own beliefs. You might all learn and grow from your differences...and if someone gets out of line, the administration will step in. I'm a low key poster on social media but I enjoy talking politics and even debating against those who have completely different viewpoints in person. The ability to have differing opinions is the beautiful thing about America.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Why are you taking it personally?
This bugs me because many of the people who are against this "speaking out" are also against things like gay pride etc and considering it as "shoving it in people's face". Get use to it because the work place can be 10x worse. Keep your neutral attitude and your patient's safety within your best interest. Don't worry about anything else people may say.

Reactions: 1 users
Delete your facebook account. Problem solved.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, you need to put on your big kid britches...a fb post shouldn't send you into a tail spin

Reactions: 1 user
We've became a nation of people that are too easily offended. I have friends of various political persuasions and I'm fine with them posting whatever. I don't get offended because it doesn't make a bit of difference in my personal life.

That said, you should always be self-aware of how someone might take what you post if you are trying to get admitted to a medical school or residency. You decide on what is or is not worth it when you post or reply to a post and let others measure that worth for themselves. As a professor I've never ever held one's political beliefs against them as long as they were respectful in expressing them, but I can't say the same for some colleagues.

Reactions: 5 users
Why are you taking it personally?
This bugs me because many of the people who are against this "speaking out" are also against things like gay pride etc and considering it as "shoving it in people's face". Get use to it because the work place can be 10x worse. Keep your neutral attitude and your patient's safety within your best interest. Don't worry about anything else people may say.
If you look at the research it's pretty consistent in that those on the extremes of either side are fairly equal in being against/offended by others expressing a difference of opinions. Group think tends to do that to people.

Reactions: 6 users