Classmates With Cancer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine in MS1 has cervical cancer. She was diagnosed last May, had an ovary removed and went into remission. She had a resurgence of the disease in September, and is currently undergoing six week rounds of radiotherapy.

Nobody else in the class knows, and she refuses to get chemo because it'll make all her hair fall out! I think she's fantastic - she occassionally goes to the hospital for an IV of dextrose and antibiotics at 6am, and is beside me studying in the library at 9! She's amazing....

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

wow- she sounds like a very determined person! i hope that the radiation therapy works well for her. i can't imagine undergoing treatment and school at the same time.

care bear said:
wow- she sounds like a very determined person! i hope that the radiation therapy works well for her. i can't imagine undergoing treatment and school at the same time.

I also have a classmate with cancer. She was diagnosed last year during her MS 1 year, but she has kept up right along with the rest of us. Actually she is doing wonderfully in class, probably better than most - I don't know how she does it. Determination to not let the cancer beat her I guess. She also manages to have a good social life and keeps in pretty good spirits. Most people in our class don't know, but probably more will start to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose that there is one or two in every class. I happen to be the one in mine. I was diagnosed in 2002, had surgery and 2 rounds of radiation, but this was before med school started. However, I am still very closely monitored as the radiation did not work all the way. So I still have tons of tests, every three months, and I have to keep track of medications, watch my lymph nodes, and be on the lookout for signs of tumor growth. I get along fine with it. It still scares me, because I obviously don't want it to grow again, but if it does I know that I can handle it. Sometimes it sucks because we have a lot of blood drives and I hang out with some of the students who help organize it...so they are always trying to get everyone to donate, and I always get asked to donate...however, I have to smile and say "Sorry, I can't. Stupid cancer!"

A friend knows one of the fourth years at my school who has cancer. I guess he's in a wheel chair now and is having a hard time but is still pushing on ahead. I don't know alot of the details but while he is working hard and has a good spirit, he also gets pretty upset about it and angry. I can understand that.

A girl in my class was dx'd with Hodgkin's 2 weeks ago. Three months away from completing 2nd year, and BAM. She started chemo last week. I feel SO sorry for her. She keeps us updated thru email.

This isn't med school, but a very good friend of mine and former roommate who is in pharmacy school was recently diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma. He is taking an indefinite leave of absence during his treatment. It's his second leave, as he took one 2 years ago because he was having all sorts of crazy nervous system, cardiovascular, and GI problems that no one could figure out, even though he was the picture of health. Seems now that the tumor was causing all the other problems.

Classmate of mine dx'd w/ GBM this past month while starting interview season for residency. My prayers and those of all her classmates are certainly with her as she's going through treatment now.

In my previous class (i took a leave of abscence), one of the guys had testicular cancer.

Rapid Decomposition said:
I also have a classmate with cancer. She was diagnosed last year during her MS 1 year, but she has kept up right along with the rest of us. Actually she is doing wonderfully in class, probably better than most - I don't know how she does it. Determination to not let the cancer beat her I guess. She also manages to have a good social life and keeps in pretty good spirits. Most people in our class don't know, but probably more will start to find out.

WOW!!! Someone in OUR class has cancer? :( :confused: :eek:

azzarah said:
WOW!!! Someone in OUR class has cancer? :( :confused: :eek:

And so the word is out...

Future doctors gossiping about classmates with cancer...

I don't know what person would want his or her classmates going on message boards telling the world about their plights with disease. Just don't do this with your future patients, I guess.

fruit fly said:
And so the word is out...

Future doctors gossiping about classmates with cancer...

I don't know what person would want his or her classmates going on message boards telling the world about their plights with disease. Just don't do this with your future patients, I guess.

Yea, I think we shouldn't go into specifics at all here guys. It's too delicate of a subject matter...

I know it is a delicate subject. I am interested just because I happen to be in that situation and like to know how other people handle the stress of having a major personal illness on top of medical school. Most people in my class don't or can't understand how I can deal with it all. To me it is a matter of conviction. I will do this, so I am. my .02

dancinjenn said:
I know it is a delicate subject. I am interested just because I happen to be in that situation and like to know how other people handle the stress of having a major personal illness on top of medical school. Most people in my class don't or can't understand how I can deal with it all. To me it is a matter of conviction. I will do this, so I am. my .02

I applaud ya, dancinjenn! To be where you are, having to go what you go through - I'm not sure if I could do it! Respect!