Clerkship Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrongIslandDoc

Full of ideas.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of the other threads were a little dated, so I figured I'd make a new one.

Please comment and include which books you found most helpful for your 3rd/4th year rotations

IM
FM
Surgery
Psych
Pediatrics
OB/GYN
EM
Neuro
Geriatrics
Radiology
Other(?)

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the shelf threads in this subforum, they are up to date on what study materials are the most useful. Some rotations can get so busy you won't have time to read much outside of UWorld (which is a must); don't expect to sit down and read textbooks for hours.

For the actual work - the books Crayola mentioned + UptoDate online (your school should have a subscription).

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the other threads were a little dated, so I figured I'd make a new one.

Please comment and include which books you found most helpful for your 3rd/4th year rotations

IM
FM
Surgery
Psych
Pediatrics
OB/GYN
EM
Neuro
Geriatrics
Radiology
Other(?)

IM: lots of UpToDate; Step to Medicine is solid, but large
Surg: Pestana's notes were a good, very skeletal summary; many tomes are overkill for surg
Psych: Case Files Psych is gold; many people recommended FA Psych to me (and the Amazon reviews are good) but I just used Case Files
Paeds: Case Files; FA Paeds
Obgyn: Case Files, FA obgyn

Also just a bucketload of practice questions for all subjects. UpToDate + MTB2/3 + question banks. I don't recommend FA 2CK.

I did an 8-week geriatrics term in med school and mostly focused on community health, which will be very specific to your hospital. And just know stroke syndromes, dementia/delirium, Parkinsonian-plus syndromes, frailty, and osteoporosis inside and out. UpToDate is fine.

UWorld for everything
IM - NMS casebook, Pocket Guide
FM - AAFP questions
Surgery - Surgical Recall, Pestana
Psych - FA for Psych
Pediatrics - Casefiles, BRS
OB/GYN - Casefiles, UWise, Blueprints

Question banks are where its at, great way to start prepping for Step 2. UptoDate will suffice for most things (except Peds, not as strong there). IDK if your school has a database of textbooks online but I would refer to my school library page a lot just to check out other references for free. As much as I hate electronic books, it does save money/time.

IM --Step Up to Medicine was my go-to. Pocket Medicine (the purple book) for quick reference.
FM --Step Up to Medicine has an ambulatory medicine section in the back.
Surgery -- FA Surg + Surgical Recall
Psych -- FA was decent, also used Casefiles. Doesn't hurt to have a pocket DSM-5.
Pediatrics -- Casefiles, Harriet Lane Handbook is you are interested in Peds.
OB/GYN -- FA OB
EM -- Case Files EM + Pocket Medicine.
Radiology -- Dartmouth has a pretty good website for radiology.