Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

clerkship grades

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Miss Nevada, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Miss Nevada

5+ Year Member

hi

How bad does a "Pass" look in a required clerkship? I want to match somewhere top tier IM. coming from a highly ranked school and 220s step 1, honors in medicine, fam med, peds....good extracurics, good letters, whatever....

thoughts?

2. king_lizard

king_lizard New Member
    5+ Year Member

You're fine. Don't worry about it. You honored the rotations that count for IM. IF anyone brings up your ob/gyn grade during your interview--which I highly, highly doubt they will--you have a good explanation. No one's perfect, and everyone bombs an exam or two. It's even a positive if you took ob/gyn early, learned your lesson, and showed improvement on subsequent shelf exams.

I would consider taking step2 ck around the time you apply, as top tier IM programs tend to factor step2 scores heavily compared to step1.

3. chintu

chintu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No worries. If its like my school, the shelf exam score and any comment that has anything to do with it will be taken out of dean's letter and all they will see is a pass.

4. Rocky2007

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It won't matter at all. It's one clerkship...and it's not even what you plan on going into...and you got honors in everything else...obviously you're good...OB was an abberation.