Clerkship grading Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franco1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a little unsure what to do in my current situation and I was hoping if someone has some advice or any suggestions. I took a clerkship and part of its grading is a standardized patient clinical encounter. I failed the first time and according to the syllabus, if I fail it I have to retake a remediation case. I took the remediation case and I passed it with a 70.5. However, I was recently told by the secretary that I still failed the clerkship because the average score of the remediation case with the first one is still less than 70. I checked the syllabus and nowhere does it say that the two scores were averaged together. It only states that (per syllabus) "Students, who fail to pass the remediation cases, will be required to repeat the clinical rotation". No where does it say the scores are averaged. It only says the scores are averaged for students who fail a computerized shelf exam (which I took and did well in). Should I fight this or should I just deal with it and just retake the clerkship. Should I complain to the dean? I spoke with the secretary of the department via email and referenced the syllabus and she wasn't helpful. All she replied was "scores are combined and then averaged for final grade". I'm very annoyed cause it does not say that in the syllabus. I've also heard the course director of this clerkship is also not very helpful either and is very rude. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would take this up with the clerkship director, not the secretary, and then your dean of students if necessary. Failing a clerkship is a big deal, and if that 70.5 means you actually passed you should make sure that's what actually happens.

Reactions: 2 users
If that is what is written in the conduct code, that is what is written, and you need to take this issue up with the appropriate parties (IE dean of students).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! Yeah I will make an appointment to speak with the clerkship director and if she's not helpful, I will proceed to speak with the dean. I find this situation very unfair and unprofessional but I want to make sure I follow the proper steps and not seem unprofessional myself.

You should also look at the school's remediation policy. Just to be sure.

Definitely agree about contacting the next-in-command. Sometimes when manners are very important like this, I find actually seeing the people you need to speak with in person helps out so much (e-mail can become impersonal and a chore)! Fight this. Good luck.

I would think most people would view the syllabus as a contract that the school must abide by. Whether they unintentionally made it easy to pass and they decide to change the wording for next year is a separate issue.

I would think most people would view the syllabus as a contract that the school must abide by. Whether they unintentionally made it easy to pass and they decide to change the wording for next year is a separate issue.

Hate to play devil's advocate here, but 99.9% of all syllabi I've seen have some "subject to change" disclaimer.

My only useful advice to give here is that as you are going up the chain and ladder of authorities at your school, try and be as diplomatic as possible. Don't try to come off as being entitled or deserving of a grade. Make a case of your issue and try and stay away from accusing people.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I emailed the secretary three days ago to make an appointment with the course director and no reply all of a sudden. I'm being very courteous and polite as well. I'm thinking about emailing the course director directly Monday morning or attempting to email the secretary again. I'm going to assume she didn't see my email or forgot about me. Btw, I haven't seen the subject to change disclaimer on the syllabus.

Okay, seriously. Why are you still talking to this idiot secretary? She gave you wrong information already and will probably say the same thing. Situations like this - you don't waste your time and speak directly to the higher ups. Also - who listens to a secretary about this sort of thing? I wouldn't listen to her if she told me 2+2=4.

Reactions: 1 user