Cleveland clinic and ohio university to open medical school extension campus in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You beat me to it!

In all seriousness, though... this is how you grow the profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cleveland Clinic is also committed to working to expand the number of AOA-approved or dual-accredited post graduate residency and fellowship positions.

Now THAT'S how you get it done. Sounds like this is the first new osteopathic school in years to open its doors with some idea of what it's going to do with its students AFTER they graduate.

I assume it will have the same prerequisite commitment to residing in ohio for a given amount of years.

I assume it will have the same prerequisite commitment to residing in ohio for a given amount of years.

This seems to be a point of confusion for a lot of folks. My understanding of the "contract" is that, if you're accepted as an OOS student, you're required to practice in Ohio for five years following residency. If you go into a Primary Care field, your residency years count toward the five-year requirement.

Further, OOS students can take a residency position anywhere they choose, in any field they choose; however, they'll need to return to Ohio and complete their contractual obligation after that.

There's also an option to "buy out" a contract. The "price" varies according to the amount of state funding that went toward subsidizing your medical education.

Source: OUHCOM Out-of-State Contract (http://www.oucom.ohio.edu/admissions/out_of_state_contract.htm)

Basically, OU's med school was opened and funded by the state to produce physicians for Ohio. You can go where you want, but there's an incentive to 1) Stay in Ohio and 2) Become a Primary Care physician in Ohio.

This seems to be a point of confusion for a lot of folks. My understanding of the "contract" is that, if you're accepted as an OOS student, you're required to practice in Ohio for five years following residency. If you go into a Primary Care field, your residency years count toward the five-year requirement.

Further, OOS students can take a residency position anywhere they choose, in any field they choose; however, they'll need to return to Ohio and complete their contractual obligation after that.

There's also an option to "buy out" a contract. The "price" varies according to the amount of state funding that went toward subsidizing your medical education.

Source: OUHCOM Out-of-State Contract (http://www.oucom.ohio.edu/admissions/out_of_state_contract.htm)

Basically, OU's med school was opened and funded by the state to produce physicians for Ohio. You can go where you want, but there's an incentive to 1) Stay in Ohio and 2) Become a Primary Care physician in Ohio.

its not just primary care. any AOA residency/fellowship completed in the state of ohio counts towards the commitment.

its not just primary care. any AOA residency/fellowship completed in the state of ohio counts towards the commitment.

True; this is why I didn't go to law school. :p

It's still a pretty good bargain, especially if/when the extra dual-accredited spots open up. Seems like a pretty huge win for OU, and a solid gain for DO's as a whole.

Hmm having dual accredited residencies with CC will be a major win for OUCOM. Too bad this extension isn't offering the coveted MD, DO lol :meanie.

Was just getting ready to post about this. Good news for the profession. Having AOA/dual spots opened by the CCF will definitely help out. Hats off to OUCOM.

I don't see why they can't just charge a little more for OOS tuition instead of requiring a contract. I mean, at 99% of public medical schools, this is the incentive for instate attendance and OOS non attendance.

I don't see why they can't just charge a little more for OOS tuition instead of requiring a contract. I mean, at 99% of public medical schools, this is the incentive for instate attendance and OOS non attendance.

Because the mission of the school is to produce PCPs for ONLY Ohio. They have no interest churning out students who will move away from the state after graduation. This is a good way for them to mainly attract students who will already want to stay in-state post graduation while not necessarily telling OOS applicants they can't apply. Those people who spend 4 years of med school and then 5+ years post-grad in Ohio stand a good chance of putting down some roots and are likely to remain even after their contract expires.

the buy out is basically around 50k. tuition wise as an oos student u pay 47k for oms1, and 33k for oms2,3,4..

Last edited:
the buy out is basically around 50k. tuition wise as an oos student u pay 47k for oms1, and 33k for oms2,3,4..

So it sounds like just paying OOS tuition all four years would almost cover the buyout amount anyway. It just seems more logical to charge
50-55K for OOS tuition with no instate status later, rather than requiring a contract that I bet the majority end up buying out of.

So it sounds like just paying OOS tuition all four years would almost cover the buyout amount anyway. It just seems more logical to charge
50-55K for OOS tuition with no instate status later, rather than requiring a contract that I bet the majority end up buying out of.

no. you'd be surprised. most students end up liking the clinical sites/preceptors in the CORE so much that they apply through the AOA match. the CORE has all the ROAD, surgical, primary care specialties in house.

Needless to say I was fairly surprised/excited when I got this e-mail yesterday. OUHCOM seems to be so motivated and proactive.

Needless to say I was fairly surprised/excited when I got this e-mail yesterday. OUHCOM seems to be so motivated and proactive.

It's becoming a leader in osteopathic medicine. More DO schools need to follow OUCOM's example and begin aligning themselves with major medical organizations, hospitals like CC, and research institutes. The only problem is that it is in Ohio.

ohio.jpg

So sure an OUCOM student made this JPG.