Cleveland Clinic Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joethestuff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Come on prople, what's the dilly-yo with Cleveland Clinic Anesthesiology?

Supposedly a premier hospital with only (almost) foreign grads? A post below says because they're so outstanding they get the "best of the best" of foreign grads. Is this really the case, or is there something I'm missing?

There's just way to many foreign grads for that lofty a hospital me thinks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had an aswer to your question, but I can tell you that there are several Clinic anesthesiology residents in my apartment building (whom I admittedly don't know very well), and they are all foreign and most often Indian or Middleastern. The same goes for other specialties. I've too have always wondered why the heck such a well respected hospital has so many foreign residents.

Thanks Hairless,

I notice you're from Cleveland--I've spent one day on my interview there, but couldn't get a real feel for the city. How do you like it there? Housing and rent seems to be very reasonable, any insight?

Also, do you think that doing residency at CC carries much "cachet" nationally?

Thanks again, Hairless!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hairless heart:

since you are in cleveland, what do you think of the University Hospitals of Cleveland anesthesiology program? What's their reputation and so forth?

Thanks for any replies!

One of the Internists that I worked with told me that his friend (FMG) was offered a $10,000 signing bonus at the Cleveland Clinic. This was probably over 10 years ago. Too bad things like that don't happen anymore. :(

joethestuff and Devil's Advocate, I wish I could give you guys some good fact-based advice, but I'm simply not in the loop, because I'm not nearly as far along as you guys.

One thing I can tell you is that the Clinic, while being a well-respected hospital, is not exactly known as a teaching hospital (if that really makes a difference). Although, they are trying to change that....

Second, the Cleveland hospital market is very consolidated. The Clinic has almost two-thirds of the market share,and UH has most of the rest. So, with the CC being the major referral center, you should be able to see it all in terms of patient load. You should also have enormous research opportunities (more so than at UH). Anyway, I'd love to hear your impressions of the program and the hospital in general.

joethestuff: Cleveland is not for everybody. It is cold. It is very blue-collar. Coming from Columbus, a very white-collar town, it was a bit of a shock for me. I was used to a much more commercialized, upper middle-class suburbia.

Housing here is reasonable. I pay more than most: $730 for a 2 bedroom with a view of the lake, University Circle (CWRU), the Clinic, and downtown. Not bad, IMO. You can find places that are considerably cheaper. If you're into the nightlife, the Flats are groovy. There are plenty of good restaurants and Little Italy is a neat area (although be careful if you're a minority). All that being said, I recently committed to four more years here (after four of undergrad) when I probably could have gone to another more amiable location if I had wanted to, so I guess it all depends on the person.

Sorry that was so long. :)