Cleveland Clinic Face Transplant Patient Reveaied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really don''t know that much about cosmetic surgery but I have wonder if there had to be that much excess skin? She looks REALLY good but I don't see why they can't just give her a face lift now? Maybe they will.

I really don''t know that much about cosmetic surgery but I have wonder if there had to be that much excess skin? She looks REALLY good but I don't see why they can't just give her a face lift now? Maybe they will.

I know, but she is probably just happy to be looking half-way "normal".

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, but she is probably just happy to be looking half-way "normal".

Oh yah, it wasn't like a "Why did you go and do that?" comment...just curious because there must be a reason.

I'm sure that the patient has a whole team of facial plastic surgeons waiting for her to heal. I think it's fair to say that she's not quite done with surgeries yet.

She looks REALLY good but I don't see why they can't just give her a face lift now? Maybe they will.

The article says: "Her face is bloated and squarish, and her skin droops in big folds that doctors plan to pare away as her circulation improves and her nerves grow, animating her new muscles."

she looks weird

She suffered a "shotgun injury to the face"

ouch

she looks like miss potato head sorta

wow thats crazy... i can't imagine how complex that type of surgery would be...

The article says: "Her face is bloated and squarish, and her skin droops in big folds that doctors plan to pare away as her circulation improves and her nerves grow, animating her new muscles."

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone would actually read the article and my answer would be in it...

Yay for my laziness! (Meh trying to study for finals)

Members don't see this ad :)
triangle%20face.jpg

Good for her though, she looks much better. I wonder who shot her in the face with a shotgun.

is anyone else really frustrated that her husband only got 7 years for clearly attempting to murder her?!

wtf is wrong with our justice system!

is anyone else really frustrated that her husband only got 7 years for clearly attempting to murder her?!

Is he free? I read that he shot her and then shot himself...or at least tried to shoot himself or something...maybe he got 7 years and now is in an institution or something...

she looks amazing now compared to how she looked after she got shot

You may find this weird but this lady might be a relative of mine. My dad's side of the family (whom I lost contact w/ a long time ago) have the last name Culp and are spred out over Ohio...I'm waiting a return message from my dad...

Wow amazing work! Too bad the average Joe thinks plastic surgery is all about boob jobs and lipo.....

Too bad the average Joe thinks plastic surgery is all about boob jobs and lipo

Precisely my sentiment. Although for this surgery and similarly complex ones, plastic surgeons sometimes have to take bones and skins from other parts of the body for the target area. It really gives you a perspective of the incredible training these docs have had.

Precisely my sentiment. Although for this surgery and similarly complex ones, plastic surgeons sometimes have to take bones and skins from other parts of the body for the target area. It really gives you a perspective of the incredible training these docs have had.

At this moment, I do not think that I want to be a plastic surgeon. But do plastic surgeons have to be artistically inclined?

At this moment, I do not think that I want to be a plastic surgeon. But do plastic surgeons have to be artistically inclined?
It helps if they have an appreciation for the aesthetic, yes.

Reconstructing a face or a surgical defect tends to involve a great deal of art to determine which skills you should use to repair the patient.

Certainly a reason for why they get paid so much. Mixing art and technical skill is difficult and these surgeons as well as dermatologic surgeons spend every day improving the human form. Pretty insane.

Check out the first face transplant, performed in France 2005.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4LUgH0WTg[/YOUTUBE]

Closer to Travolta than Nick Cage.

how the **** does someone survive a shotgun to the face??? wtf

I'm more frustrated with the fact that she decided that she still loves him and wants to go back to him.

"After their meeting, Connie says her husband better put her on a pedestal once he's released from prison. "

http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2168

"Reporter Dave Elias asked Culp what she said to her husband behind closed doors and at that time she told him that she loved him and forgave him for disfiguring her for life. Culp also said that she believed her husband truly loved her, despite what he had done. "

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=58292

it's sickening...that's what it is...

TWO of them, mind you. He shot her in the face, then shot himself in the face, and both of them survived.

wow. ok what brand/model? If I ever buy a shotgun for self defense to keep in the house, I'm definitely not getting the one he used.

I'm more frustrated with the fact that she decided that she still loves him and wants to go back to him.

"After their meeting, Connie says her husband better put her on a pedestal once he's released from prison. "

http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2168

"Reporter Dave Elias asked Culp what she said to her husband behind closed doors and at that time she told him that she loved him and forgave him for disfiguring her for life. Culp also said that she believed her husband truly loved her, despite what he had done. "

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=58292

it's sickening...that's what it is...

Don't be surprised. Battered women(and men) go back to their abusive lovers. Rihanna is a recent example but there is long line of women before her.It's mostly prevalent among those of certain socioeconomic background....

I read in a separate article that the woman is blind. Is this true?

wow. ok what brand/model? If I ever buy a shotgun for self defense to keep in the house, I'm definitely not getting the one he used.

Not really dependent on the gun, but on the type of shell. Fortunately doesn't seem like he was using anything real 'heavy' like 00 or slugs.

wow that kid was a brat. parents need to work on teaching their kids what is appropriate and what is inappropriate to say about people.
it's so sad that she wants to go back to him, though. probably because he knows he can't get anyone else now that he's been convicted of whatever shooting your wife in the face will get you convicted of. i do believe in forgiving, but not in forgetting, and DEFINITELY not in "let's make up even though you tried to kill me".

Personally, I think they were going for a jabba-the-hutt look with that one. See image:

20z412b.jpg

lawl

EDIT: Their eyes even do the same thing - one doesn't open as far as the other.

Personally, I think they were going for a jabba-the-hutt look with that one. See image:

20z412b.jpg

lawl

Kind of a dick statement to make about someone who just finished up a round of surgery after being blasted in the face with a shotgun. I'm not for the starry-eyed "save the world" mentality, but I also don't go around ragging on people with disabilities well outside their control.

Umm, you're acting like it's a bad thing to be compared to Jabba the Hutt. :cool:

:thumbdown:

20z412b.jpg

lawl

how the **** does someone survive a shotgun to the face??? wtf

A 20 gauge low-brass bird shot shell, maybe? He tried to kill himself and he lived, too. Must have been a real weak shell. :eek:

TWO of them, mind you. He shot her in the face, then shot himself in the face, and both of them survived.

My EMT-B instructor always told us that if you wanted to get the job done, aim at the heart and not the head.

My EMT-B instructor always told us that if you wanted to get the job done, aim at the heart and not the head.

I think Reaper from Doom also said something along the lines of "two in the heart, one in the head, no hesitation."