Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreekPre-Med

GreekPre-Med
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions

CCLCM is a school that I am considering applying to. For those that got in, here are a few of my stats

31 MCAT
3.96 GPA
Research in Organic Chemistry and History (I am a history major)
A ton of extracurriculars (held offices etc.)

Does CCLCM look beyond the numbers (Ie- my not so stellar MCAT) or does everyone who gets in top notch if not minority.

Please let me know

-Greek Pre-med

Members don't see this ad.

i've interviewed there the past two years - in short summary, it's an absolutely amazing place. i can tell you that their averages are competitive, but i got the feeling interview selection is not as numbers-focused as it is at other schools. i think research experience is really the most important thing. my numbers are NOT very competitive and they opted to interview me. i think your numbers are just fine. they certainly interview people with below 30. hopefully you have something substantial to say about your research experience in your essay. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
1000 hrs volunteer in a hospital/ clinic setting

400 hours as a volunteer at a cardiac hospital for the athens olympics

3 research credits in organic chemistry

I had jobs on top of that throughout colelge

Actually no. I am pretty good at learning languages though, and I have always wanted to practice medicine abroad

Any comments from students who go to CCLCM feel free to share !

I would say go for it. Although your MCAT might be lower than average, you done some pretty neat stuff to counterbalance. What's there to lose? A little bit of money.

Anybody know how much the "continuation fee" for the 5th year is?

Sadly, my advisor's advisor sits on the committee over there and I was asking the same questions. The response I got was that unless you are URM the numbers of themost important.

On the other hand, what have you got to lose?

keep the comments coming ! Can anyone from CCLCM share any stories? Thanks!

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3571

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3355

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1712

these profiles should give you hope.

after interviewing two years in a row, this is my suspicion...

research experience is ultra important when they makes selections for interviews. then, i think gpa becomes really important when they choose those post-interviews. the accept very few of the people they interview. that seems to be the toughest part. best of luck.

I'm sorry, this is probably stupid, but it cleavelan clinic med school same thing as case western reserve.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's separate, but affiliated. The only way the Cleveland Clinic could open a med school was to piggyback on the accreditation of Case. CCLCM wanted to have an MD/PhD program, but Case (I was told) said that would be a little too redundant.

It's just what I heard.

-X

internetwop said:
yes, it's part of case western

I'd apply. From what I remember, you check the Case Western box on AMCAS, then when you get the Case Western secondary, you can apply to the university program (at Case), the college program (at the Clinic), or MSTP. (all that for $40 secondary fee).

It won't hurt to try. It's hard to say what the adcoms are looking for, but having some research experience is very important.

dajimmers said:
I know #2. He just started summer research there, says he's having a great time, but that it's lots of work (as any good 1st year med student will probably say). He had VERY good EC's, but just average numbers. I'm applying now.

This is off-topic. But I clicked on your link about MSU's contribution to medicine and started laughing convulsively.

The look on the face of the Pakistani engineer palpating a prosthetic breast with a gigantic robotic arm is the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. I can't imagine being a woman and having a doctor feel me up from ten feet away with a monstruous bionic hand.

GreekPre-Med said:
Actually no. I am pretty good at learning languages though, and I have always wanted to practice medicine abroad

Any comments from students who go to CCLCM feel free to share !
I am doing the HCEM program at Case western, and we have had lots of talks with people from the Cleveland Clinic. With your clinicals, you should have a damn good shot, an adcom member here told us they really like experience like that. Good luck

So specifically on the secondary app....are you considered separately for each of the programs w. Cleveland and CWRU? I have no problem checking a box if that would mean that it's another program that I could apply to for the same cost. I just don't want to apply to two and end up being scre*wed on both.

I interviewed, was accepted, and nearly went to CCLCM. I loved it. The clinic has some of the world's best doctors, especially in cardiology. Okay, so you knew that already. The five year research track certainly isn't for everyone, but it'd be a great way to keep research integrated into your schedule if you're interested in academic medicine but not seven years for an MD-PhD. The dark side of that scheduling is that classes and a research project start right away in the beginning of July. Burnt out coming off of a stressful quarter and in something of a funk, I was in no condition to start school at that point. Those who are taking a year off might feel differently.

Things to note about the school:

-PBL: It might not prepare you quite as well for the USMLE, but it's a lot more fun for a lot of people than lectures. (A side note: Students from Case's main program tend to stay at home and watch videos of the lectures, often at 1.5x or 2x speed.)

-Prosections: They say it saves time. Lame.

-Advising: Terrific advising system. You're one of only 32/class, so you'll get plenty of attention.

-Early clinical interaction: Hang out in a doctor's office starting 1st year. I guess it would depend on the doctor how much you get to do. You get a full white coat instead of a dorky short one.

-Research, research, research: The Lerner research center has awesome facilities and researchers. You'll also have the resources of Case available. Of particular interest to me was Case's terrific neural prosthetics work. You can get an MS in biomed engineering, anatomy, or "biomed. investigation" or something like that.

-Reputation: CCLCM may be new, but Case is a member of the 13 school consortium (Columbia, Harvard, Yale, WashU, a bunch of other top schools) and the Clinic has a reputation matched only by the other clinic (Mayo). Even so, this was a big sticking point for me. I want to match well in neurosurgery in SF or NY, most likely, so I need all the help I can get. The residency directors I contacted advised me to go with Columbia. Even one of my interviewers thought reputation might be a little bit of an issue for that sort of residency. Obviously, if you want peds, this shouldn't concern you. And keep in mind that you'll have an inside track at residency at the clinic, which is nothing to sniff at.

Location: I kept getting told that Cleveland has the rock and roll hall of fame. What does that tell you? And I hear LeBron wants out. At least housing is cheap. Your classmates will mostly be midwesterners.

More on classmates: Bright and nerdy was my impression. Mostly (2/3) male in the first class, I don't know about this year. Case kids seemed like the kind of people I don't get along with all that well, but that could be a function of only meeting a few I didn't click with. If you're more of a partier than a nerd, you'll probably like them better than the CCLCM students.

Fifth year continuation fee is to keep you on the books as a student. You'll be paid a stipend for the research year and for both summer research rotations. Financial aid seemed pretty good. (My host cited that as a big reason he went with CCLCM.)

As far as applying goes, the best thing to do is stress how you want to combine research and clinical practice. That's their whole idea of the "physician investigator." I talked a large amount about how working in a lab connected with people that worked with Christopher Reeve on spinal cord injury and rehab. reflected my interest, based in part on football and snowboarding, in being able to help those with spinal cord injuries through research into new neurosurgical procedures involving neural prosthetics or maybe stem cells. More important than the actual amount of research experience (I hadn't had a huge amount.) is your ability to show that it matters to you and to make them believe that you really want to do it as a major part of your career.

jammin06 said:
So specifically on the secondary app....are you considered separately for each of the programs w. Cleveland and CWRU? I have no problem checking a box if that would mean that it's another program that I could apply to for the same cost. I just don't want to apply to two and end up being scre*wed on both.

Yes, you're considered for all those programs you check. You'll have to write another essay for CCLCM. You could even check MD-PhD. If you get interviews both places, they'll schedule them consecutive days. I think getting an interview at CCLCM makes it nearly a lock to get a Case interview if you checked both. (I withdrew from Case's waitlist once I came off of CCLCM's.)

Brainsucker said:

I disagree...class of 2010 are from all over the country

Brainsucker said:
If you're more of a partier than a nerd, you'll probably like them better than the CCLCM students.

Only because the likelihood of finding partiers in a class of 100+ students is higher than in a class of 32. C'mon, a majority of pre-meds don't necessarily party. There are some that do, and you'll find each other no matter what school you go to.

Brainsucker said:
As far as applying goes, the best thing to do is stress how you want to combine research and clinical practice. That's their whole idea of the "physician investigator." I talked a large amount about how working in a lab connected with people that worked with Christopher Reeve on spinal cord injury and rehab. reflected my interest, based in part on football and snowboarding, in being able to help those with spinal cord injuries through research into new neurosurgical procedures involving neural prosthetics or maybe stem cells. More important than the actual amount of research experience (I hadn't had a huge amount.) is your ability to show that it matters to you and to make them believe that you really want to do it as a major part of your career.

I agree. Either have a strong idea about clinical stuff, or research stuff (as demonstrated through ECs etc). But even better, be able to articulate how you see yourself combining the two in your career.

As stated previously, just check the box and write another essay. Either school won't hold it against you if you check both. Both programs have separate adcoms. The only time they will compare notes is when they schedule interviews.

Hey nina...anyways...as a fellow first year CCLCMer...I have a few comments....

I have to say that the quote about CCLCM being more nerdier than partiers is not so true. We probably are a bit nerdier but we also like to party hard! well some people at least anyways...ha.

But on the other comments:

Prosections: Yes we dont have to dissect...but if you really want to dissect....you get a chance in your second year...just ask the anatomy professor. If you want to go hard core about anatomy get the MS in Applied Anatomy and you're good to go.

PBL: You dont learn a lot from PBL you say? Well if you really really have the urge to see lectures....you can watch them online just like the Case kids...they dont go to lecture anyways.

Early Clinical Interaction: Because of the significant input that you have. You basically get to grade your clinician on how much they are teaching you....so if they arent teaching you what you need..it will show on their evaluation and they will have to show improvement in that area. In any case, the doctors and physician advisors that are selected are really enthusiastic about helping you learn more...so yeah..this is no problem.

Classmates: This year the majority is girls vs guys. 32 people represent 32 different undergraduate schools...or so they say. Different age ranges. About half are straight from undergrad. Another 25% took 1-2 years off. Another 25% took more than 2 years about.....this is my guess. Everyone is pretty intelligent and knows their sh#$....also just about everyone has done some major research. Another thing is that classmates are truly selected for not only their academics, etc but for their personality. In a class of 32 doing PBL....everyone better be friends with each other or at the very least be able to tolerate each other.

Does anyone know of other medical schools that have a similar 5-year research-intensive program? I'm aware of Cornell and Georgetown offering similar tracks. Any others?

TheMightyAngus said:
Does anyone know of other medical schools that have a similar 5-year research-intensive program? I'm aware of Cornell and Georgetown offering similar tracks. Any others?
Duke has the "research year"

nina, so you ended up at cclcm in the end!?? if so, congrats! i remember how badly you wanted to get in. :thumbup:

I don't know if I should apply to cclcm as well. I'm interested in continuing research but I don't know at this moment in time if I want to extend my medical education for a 5th year. It's tempting to just apply since there's not an additional fee or essay, but I'm still not sure. Should I apply anyway since there's not hurt? What are the rest of you case applicants doing?

TheMightyAngus said:

Stanford, Yale and (I think) others have an MD thesis requirement that is an appropriate avenue for research. Even at schools that don't--at least the more research oriented--you should be able to take a year for research if you want it. I know you can at Columbia.

As for PBL, I think it's a personal preference, but it seems like more fun to me than lecture. As far as learning, those that need more problem-solving skills practice will probably benefit more from it than from lecture. I stand by my USMLE comments as you'll want a comprehensive knowledge base that's probably better served by a lecture series. That said, pretty much every school will give you a bunch of time to study for the test.

I really felt like there was a marked difference between Case students and CCLCM students. Perhaps I just met more CCLCM nerds and more Case partiers.

If you're genuinely interested in doing things differently and in what CCLCM has to offer, apply. If it's just another med school to add to the list, I wouldn't bother. With the essay and the two one-hour interviews, they'll have a good chance to figure out if you're really enthusiastic about the way they do things.

So is there any extra essay involved in applying to CCLCM. I though there was only two in the Case secondary. The one about something that interests you and the other about the research/scholarly work. Am I missing something?i

Hoooba said:
So is there any extra essay involved in applying to CCLCM. I though there was only two in the Case secondary. The one about something that interests you and the other about the research/scholarly work. Am I missing something?i

Could be different this year. Last year, there was a "why do you want to be a physician-investigator?" thing at the end of the research one. I think the research essay is optional if you're just applying to Case. (Obviously, it would be a good idea to write if you're into that kind of thing.)

I hope I didn't freak you out. In any case, if I remember right, that app was pretty clear.

Hey guys! Just reading through the thread. Submitted my secondary to the CCLCM a few days ago! Any clarification in the process, feel free to let me know!

Hey guys! Just reading through the thread. Submitted my secondary to the CCLCM a few days ago! Any clarification in the process, feel free to let me know!
This discussion is 10yrs old...not only are most of the posters inactive (click on the username and then look for 'Last Viewed on...') but their description of the secondary, etc. is no longer up to date.

Not saying this to bust your butt or anything - I think it's great that you searched and found an old thread on the topic you need - just to give you a heads up!