Cleveland Clinic,OH or UConn, pls advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maui

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only 2 top-tier programs on my interview list...CCF and UConn. I've been all for CCF this whole time since it has a bigger reputation, but I've been hearing that their IM program is not that great. Also, they don't always get their graduates into fellowships, and the presence of so many fellows makes the residency training less autonomous (fellows get a lot of the procedures). A friend of mine had her IM training and fellowship in UConn, and is really pushing me to not accept a prematch at CCF if they ever offer it to me. My CCF interview comes way before UConn, and I've never visited the latter. She says Connecticut is a much better place to "have a life" since it is near NYC, and the weather is better. Cleveland allegedly is a cold dark boring place. I feel I have to decide or at least know which IM program is much better, even before I go for interviews, so that when faced with the option of a prematch, I will not regret any decision I might make. Better to be ready.

I just want to know your input, friends, regarding the training prospects and perceived quality of life in the two places. I intend to pursue a fellowship in Endocrinology after residency, but my choice of subspecialty could still change. I am into clinical research, and would very much like to get into a program that will allow me to pursue an MS degree on the side, and give me better opportunities to get published in reknowned journals. But aside from all these worthy career goals, I want to have a life. That's 3 years in a different place after all.

Where would YOU go--if these were the only 2 choices you had? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Given those less than ideal choices, I would certainly choose the cleveland clinic over Uconn.

Some of the advice you have received is spot on. Uconn is in a much nicer part of the world, but that is just one opinion. I would rather train in the bowels of hell than Ohio, but others flock there without regret.

Having said that, the clinic program, while subpar, does put you in proximity with some of the world's leading medicine minds. If you can get over the fact that it's in cleveland, than I think it would be a smarter move purely from a career advancement standpoint.

Finally, if you indeed know that you want to do endocrinology, either place would be fine, as it's not exactly a terribly competitive discipline to enter.

Good luck with your endeavors!

The thing about UConn is since that it's a university, I can get a masters degree. Has anyone heard of anyone doing that in CCF? Although in CCF, since the research output is tremendous, I might be able to hook my name up to more research work.

Anyone out there who has interviewed in these two places or is currently a resident in either one? A friend of mine (who is in Chicago "a destination in itself") says Hartford, CT is the armpit of the East Coast (Don't know if she just means it geographically). While there's nothing to see in Ohio but cornfields....

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've interviewed at both places.

CCF-tons of FMGs, questionable reputation in terms of IM residency. Very good at placing people into Cardiology, but not at CCF. Very poor at placing people into GI. Cleveland is not bad, with minimal corn fields. No you can't get a Master's at CCF. Yes, research is plentiful.

UConn-reputation is actually better in terms of IM program. Do well placing into fellowships. They take many residents into their own fellowship programs. Research is there for the taking. Hartford, armpit, maybe but surrounding area nice. Good location for Skiing, NYC, boston, and shore.

I'd go to Cleveland. I am very familiar with UConn, and although the teaching is excellent, it is not as you read above. They actually have issues regarding not taking their own for fellowships. Are you married? If not, UConn is a bad place for a single person. UConn is a great program if you want to do primary care, but other than that it is just o.k. Much better shot at fellowship at Cleveland.

Thanks for all the advice. My preference is forming, although I still have to interview and see for myself how I feel about them and how they feel about me. Just wondering why UConn would be bad for a single person...which I am.

In response to DR post. I know you are from CT, however when I interviewed about one week ago we were told that 100% of their current first year fellows were taken from UConn residencies. Regardless, Hartford does seem like a tough place for a single person.

I did an elective in CCF. They have a reasonably decent IM program, however definitely not among the best. I found that the residents there were not as good as I would have expected. However if it is research you want, then CCF is a very decent bet. Lots of research opportunity. They also have their own journal - the cleveland clinic journal of medicine which is quite friendly to resident's papers so..

Hope this is helpful..

Please understand that I am by no means slamming UConn; on the contrary, I think it is a great program. However, I think you should look a little further into the fellowship situation, because there is a definite issue currently with the residents concerning the program not taking its own. Hartford, although probably not the "armpit" your friend calls it, is really not the best city. To be exact, it was second only to Brownsville Texas in terms of being the worst city in the US (sorry Hartford residents). However, few residents actually live in Hartford. One of the interesting things (and most politically controversial) about Connecticut is that there are no counties, so the second you leave the city limits (and it's a small city), you are in some of the most beautiful suburbs in the US. So, consider UConn seriously, if you think you could like CT...but try to contact someone who is linked with the program to find out more about fellowships.

Originally posted by DR
... the second you leave the city limits (and it's a small city), you are in some of the most beautiful suburbs in the US.

Absolutely true.

And Hartford does basically suck.

Having grown up in CT, in one of the suburbs of Hartford I can tell you it is true. The suburbs are amazing; Hartford not so much.

It is also true that it is tough for a single person in CT, but there are things to do. The people of the state do marry and procreate.

The UConn program is an excellent teaching program. I went to UConn for Med school, and thoroughly enjoyed all my rotations.
The attendings in every field were well trained and VERY interested in teaching.
The program has three hospitals to rotate through which adds to the clinical experience.
The residents do in fact get good fellowships in good places.
UConn I feel is underrated by many.
The reason only a very few UConn students stay at UConn for medicine is that 1. Hartford is a place where no one wants to spend 7 years there, 2. Most students are in state and want to live elsewhere for part of their life and 3. they are well trained and many go to other prestigious medicine programs.
If I didn't want a combined EM/IM program, I would have highly considered staying at UConn.

The cleveland clinic is also an excellent program. I don't know much about it so I will say no more.

Was reading another thread on places you hate and love, and two people actually hated CCF. Please post why? I know our standards are different, depending also on where you graduated and how competitive a candidate you are...but why the strong hate? I just interviewed there recently and loved it (the program, the PD, the enthusiasm of the residents, the commitment to research and education, the closed book policy, no private attendings, excellent facilities, upcoming medical school connected with Case Western), although Cleveland doesn't seem to be such an exciting place for a swinging single.

I just want to know how your thoughts are running...still haven't interviewed at UConn.

I interviewed at U Conn and the impression that I got was that they do consider their residents very favorably for fellowships there. I think nearly 75% of the fellowships are filled with U Conn grads. They do mention in their brochure that if a resident has done good work and wishes to stay in Hartford then they would be welcomed into their fellowships.

Neither.
You should definitely check out Summa in Akron, OH.
WFCCF is not all its allegedly cracked up to be. Don't know UConn. Was offered an interview there for fellowship but declined because I was already offered a position elsewhere.