ComfortableWolf

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
143
0
Status
This is a somewhat assanine question but I am abosolutely bored out of my mind at work so indulge me or ignore me...

Do you think that the residency matchlists for Case Western are indicative of how CCLCM students will match (not that there is anything wrong with the matches at CWRU)? I know, I know- its all specualtion about a brand new program with no graduates as of yet but will residency directors look at the Cleveland Clinic program as simply an extension of Case or as its own special program similiar to the Mayo program. Will Cleveland Clinic students have any sort of match advantage over Case students?

Any thoughts would be welcome

CW
 

Electrophys

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
132
2
Status
ComfortableWolf said:
This is a somewhat assanine question but I am abosolutely bored out of my mind at work so indulge me or ignore me...

Do you think that the residency matchlists for Case Western are indicative of how CCLCM students will match (not that there is anything wrong with the matches at CWRU)? I know, I know- its all specualtion about a brand new program with no graduates as of yet but will residency directors look at the Cleveland Clinic program as simply an extension of Case or as its own special program similiar to the Mayo program. Will Cleveland Clinic students have any sort of match advantage over Case students?

Any thoughts would be welcome

CW
Sorry...don't mean to hijack the thread...but could you please post where you got the Case match list info?

I'm also curious to see what people have to say about this topic since I am seriously considering attending CCLCM over other schools.
 

YzIa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
812
1
Status
ComfortableWolf said:
This is a somewhat assanine question but I am abosolutely bored out of my mind at work so indulge me or ignore me...

Do you think that the residency matchlists for Case Western are indicative of how CCLCM students will match (not that there is anything wrong with the matches at CWRU)? I know, I know- its all specualtion about a brand new program with no graduates as of yet but will residency directors look at the Cleveland Clinic program as simply an extension of Case or as its own special program similiar to the Mayo program. Will Cleveland Clinic students have any sort of match advantage over Case students?

Any thoughts would be welcome

CW
Like you said, anything is purely speculation, but I would think that CCLCM students would have the advantage of having completed a year of medical research before graduating. Research typically helps getting into a desired residency program, so if related to the field I think that it would be a plus. Other than that, its hard to say. On my interview days Case definitely made CCLCM seem like a part of Case, while CCLCM made them sound much more independent. Its impossible to say what residency directors will think.
 
OP
C

ComfortableWolf

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
143
0
Status
Electrophys said:
Sorry...don't mean to hijack the thread...but could you please post where you got the Case match list info?

I'm also curious to see what people have to say about this topic since I am seriously considering attending CCLCM over other schools.

- Didn't actually see a list of specific matches just a summary of the types of residencies and how many matched in that field... it was a website attached to a thread on SDN- don't remember which
 

scrappysurfer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
264
0
39
San Diego, CA
Status
From interviewing at CCCLM, it seemed like the whole philosophy was different. Additionally, while the school is accredited through Case, the students attend seprate classes. I doubt they will be considered the same school. CCCLM students get massive research exposure and far more personal attention.
 

uclabruin2003

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
642
0
Status
who knows what residency directors will think of cclcm. but you as an applicant will have a something special to say about your medical education. you will be able to boast about your early clinicals, your research thesis, and how well prepared you are because of your school.

i saw case's match list or summary thereof...and it seemed okay....not sure if people wanted to stay in cleveland but most people did. not sure if this is because of self-selection or if residency directors outside of cleveland/ohio didnt like case. however, ive heard that case is widely well respected...in any case...if i attend future residency interviews...ill let them know that i go to CCLCM of case..
 

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
4,206
11
41
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
scrappysurfer said:
From interviewing at CCCLM, it seemed like the whole philosophy was different. Additionally, while the school is accredited through Case, the students attend seprate classes. I doubt they will be considered the same school. CCCLM students get massive research exposure and far more personal attention.
While its true that cclcm is pretty much separate for preclinical, the impression I get is that the clerkships will be fully mixed between the two schools. You should know that the reputation of a school is based more upon its clerkships than its preclinicals, and the synergy of University Hospitals and the Clinic should result in superb matches for both institutions.

Up until the class of '07, Case is more than 60% in state, so thats why you'll see a high proportion of in state matches. Starting with Case '08 and Lerner '09 you should see much more widespread matches. The '04 match list was pretty impressive, with 8 ophtho, 4 ENT, 4 Rad onc to name a few, at excellent programs too. The list is somewhere online..