Cliffs AP biology....how did you do on the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my DAT in October 1st and this whole time I have been studying Cliffs AP Biology in full detail....
how does the material cover what is on the real DAT?
I really wana get no lower than a 19-20 and am wondering how you did in bio having studied the Cliffs only....or along with something else?..
oh and also, how would you compar it w/princton hyperlearning bio..more in depth / less in depth?...
Thanks guys
I appreciate your insight

Members don't see this ad.

I finished reading kaplan BB and am about half way through cliffs AP. I like the chapter tests from cliffs, but it seems the material coverage is not very deep. What else are you using?

Cliffs AP Bio rocks! I definitely definitely recommend it, but don't rely on it being your only source!

Members don't see this ad :)
You did pretty good on bio I see :)...can you tell me what else exactly you used for this section pls..
thanks

Nothing beats a textbook. I certainly hope you're not reading only Cliff's, because then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Take the time to prepare as much as you can the first time around, because if you don't do well, it'll just mean wasted time and money on a retake later. Cliff's, Barron's, Schaum's, textbooks, Kaplan, Destroyer, Topscore/Achiever. Look into them.

Cliffs is awesome! Just note the main resource I used was Cliffs. Other recources included half the problems of Destroyer (didnt help much) and Kaplan for the physiology part. Other than that I just memorized and read all of cliffs. Got a 19 but I think I made a few mistakes because I thought I did better when I finished...

So my DAT in October 1st and this whole time I have been studying Cliffs AP Biology in full detail....
how does the material cover what is on the real DAT?
I really wana get no lower than a 19-20 and am wondering how you did in bio having studied the Cliffs only....or along with something else?..
oh and also, how would you compar it w/princton hyperlearning bio..more in depth / less in depth?...
Thanks guys
I appreciate your insight

You just have to realize that bascially everyone on this forum is using AP Cliffs Bio... yet no one is getting 30s (probably average around a 20 flat). If you want to get ~20 like everyone else, than that is fine I guess. But if you're shooting for a 30, then you will have to go beyond what everyone else is doing. I know some people are okay with a 20, but if youre not, you will need other sources beyond cliffs.

You just have to realize that bascially everyone on this forum is using AP Cliffs Bio... yet no one is getting 30s (probably average around a 20 flat). If you want to get ~20 like everyone else, than that is fine I guess. But if you're shooting for a 30, then you will have to go beyond what everyone else is doing. I know some people are okay with a 20, but if youre not, you will need other sources beyond cliffs.

I agree...It also depends on your biology background and what classes you have had.

I am a Bio major so i guess that helped a lot, but Cliffs is a good, organized review. Start with that and then brush up on whatever topics you are uncertain about with a text or maybe even a simple explanation from wiki. Destroyer and Kaplan BB & practice tests are necessities! They'll help you to determine how well you really know your stuff.

Here's my story..only taken Bio I and II before the DAT (A's in both). Only used Cliffs and read over Destroyer (didn't really know it) and I got a 19 in Bio. On my first practice test (before I started studying..) I got a 14 in Bio!!! Holy crap right? If you want to do much better than that..you really should use multiple sources. Cliffs is awesome..but you have to challenge yourself with serious questions.

if i use kaplan bb, destroyer and topscore, do i really need to get cliffs too? or is most of the info covered in kaplan