CliffsAP Bio vs Kaplan to study for the Bio section of the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, is Dr Collins substantial enough for the chemistry portion? I had decent practice exam scores but Bio and Chem were actually my lowest sections.

Members don't see this ad.

I used CliffsAPBio 3rd edition to study for the PCAT. Microbiology was the only part that was missing from that book. I got a composite score of 95 on the PCAT bio section.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used CliffsAPBio 3rd edition to study for the PCAT. Microbiology was the only part that was missing from that book. I got a composite score of 95 on the PCAT bio section.
Do you think you already had a solid understanding? Or was most of the knowledge gained from the book? I downloaded a pdf of it but wasn't sure

Do you think you already had a solid understanding? Or was most of the knowledge gained from the book? I downloaded a pdf of it but wasn't sure
I basically forgot all of the small details from college courses so I re-learned everything from the book. If you forgot everything, then I would feel comfortable just learning from this book.
However let me warn you, a lot of the questions I got on the PCAT is not basic stuff. But the answers that were listed were very basic and only one of the four would make sense. For example I would have a passage based question about some research that was very hard to understand. I move down to the answer and it would be something like this. A. Enzymes do not affect the rate of any reaction.
B. The nucleic acids that make up the backbone of the protein have a positive charge making this blah blah blah
C. The enzyme works best at this specific pH and temperature and would act as a catalyst.
D. The amino acids of the nucleotide would increase rate of the reaction the most.

You know that based off of basic biology knowledge that A, B, and D would never be true for any answer, EVER. Even though I never read the question I just would choose C because that is the only answer that could be true to some question.
Maybe I got lucky with all of the questions and the obvious answers but thats just how i felt after taking the exam.

I basically forgot all of the small details from college courses so I re-learned everything from the book. If you forgot everything, then I would feel comfortable just learning from this book.
However let me warn you, a lot of the questions I got on the PCAT is not basic stuff. But the answers that were listed were very basic and only one of the four would make sense. For example I would have a passage based question about some research that was very hard to understand. I move down to the answer and it would be something like this. A. Enzymes do not affect the rate of any reaction.
B. The nucleic acids that make up the backbone of the protein have a positive charge making this blah blah blah
C. The enzyme works best at this specific pH and temperature and would act as a catalyst.
D. The amino acids of the nucleotide would increase rate of the reaction the most.

You know that based off of basic biology knowledge that A, B, and D would never be true for any answer, EVER. Even though I never read the question I just would choose C because that is the only answer that could be true to some question.
Maybe I got lucky with all of the questions and the obvious answers but thats just how i felt after taking the exam.
"You know" I definitely did not know. Lol. That was all gibberish to me. When I took the practice exam I was able to infer based on the passage though. At least I didn't know B or D yet

"You know" I definitely did not know. Lol. That was all gibberish to me. When I took the practice exam I was able to infer based on the passage though. At least I didn't know B or D yet
Oh, lol. Well just know that the back bone of all proteins are made of amino acids and that nucleotides are the backbones of nucleic acids. Both amino acids and nucleotides are monomers that make up the polymers.

Oh, lol. Well just know that the back bone of all proteins are made of amino acids and that nucleotides are the backbones of nucleic acids. Both amino acids and nucleotides are monomers that make up the polymers.
Yeah I learned that yesterday haha...I also got sick so I didn't study everything I wanted. I took a practice writing and got a 4. Im terrified because I am a great writer but the topics seem to be the kind I need actual outside knowledge for. Lol

Yeah I learned that yesterday haha...I also got sick so I didn't study everything I wanted. I took a practice writing and got a 4. Im terrified because I am a great writer but the topics seem to be the kind I need actual outside knowledge for. Lol

Of all your studies, I would put the writing sample essay bottom of the list. I remember utilizing Pearson practice and it gave me a 1 rating. Yet when I left it alone and did the actual PCAT it was much higher. As I believe you already know (but for others who may not), the writing essay is not factored into your overall PCAT score.

Of all your studies, I would put the writing sample essay bottom of the list. I remember utilizing Pearson practice and it gave me a 1 rating. Yet when I left it alone and did the actual PCAT it was much higher. As I believe you already know (but for others who may not), the writing essay is not factored into your overall PCAT score.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I am a freelance writer though so I'll be irritated if I do awful. I am most concerned with Biology and Chemistry... Which obviously are most important Writing and English are actually my strongest subjects. I'm not concerned about the reading section at all. I just hope I can even get a 40% in Bio and a 60% in Chem and I will bow gracefully and accept it.