Clin-IQ as a scholarly activity in Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStephenStrange

Neurology PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school, as a way to make students more competitive post-merger, has been focusing heavily on different scholarly activities that we could do, and they want us to have at least 2 of such activities under our belt before graduation. Since there are limited spots for research (mostly bench research) at my institution, lately they have introduced us to Clin-IQ which would guide us through coming up with some sort of a question, then we do a literature review, and write a paper about our findings which could later be either published or presented somewhere as a poster. So I was wondering if anyone is familiar with it, and how valuable would it be in my resume? Should I just focus on getting case reports, bench or clinical research instead? I mean with the merger coming up, I wanna make sure I am as competitive as I can be, and this next summer will basically be the last summer I will have to do something useful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Depends what you want to go into. Primary care and other non-competitive specialties won't care about that stuff, and the programs that are high tier that would, you are by definition not getting in as a DO. If you want something competitive, you should be doing research and other stuff regardless of what your school asks.

Depends what you want to go into. Primary care and other non-competitive specialties won't care about that stuff, and the programs that are high tier that would, you are by definition not getting in as a DO. If you want something competitive, you should be doing research and other stuff regardless of what your school asks.
I definitely wanna do research, and I'm not doing it because my school ask me to do so. I was just wondering what value writing such paper that would be based on facts from other papers already out there has compared to bench or clinical research for example. I'm interested in IM, but I wanna keep my options open for a fellowship later on as well, and to do that I need to be competitive to land a good IM program with fellowship in house from what I've gathered around here on SDN.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, this is busywork that your school is trying to disguise as 'possible' research. I did something similar to this in undergrad, and I brought it up during a med school interview with a researcher from Scripps. I was pretty much laughed at during interviews. I believe he called it a learning exercise. Unless your lit review is part of a big meta analysis from a big health org like ACA etc, and published, it will be treated as homework. I see the chances of something like this being useful as minimal and would place it below the level of a case report. A poster at your schools fair is about the most I see this being worth.

IMO, this is busywork that your school is trying to disguise as 'possible' research. I did something similar to this in undergrad, and I brought it up during a med school interview with a researcher from Scripps. I was pretty much laughed at during interviews. I believe he called it a learning exercise. Unless your lit review is part of a big meta analysis from a big health org like ACA etc, and published, it will be treated as homework. I see the chances of something like this being useful as minimal and would place it below the level of a case report. A poster at your schools fair is about the most I see this being worth.
ClinIQ is a program created by OU College of Medicine (Oklahoma MD school), and was made with residents and community physicians in mind so that they could have a straight forward framework by which to ask clinical questions and review the pertinent literature to answer them and present their conclusions. Obviously it’s also extended to medical students. But this program is fairly regional as I understand it, so I am not sure how such research will be viewed by other residency programs outside of the region that are unfamiliar with it. But here is a link explaining it more:

ClinIQ Program | Oklahoma Shared Clinical and Translational Resources

Reactions: 1 user