PhD/PsyD Clin.Psych.PhD vs. Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jubilee17

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in a desperate need of advice/thoughts/and or encouragements regarding whether I should reject a clinical psychology Ph.D. offer (after having accepted it initially earlier this year) to fully commit to the new career path of dentistry (which I've worked on paving since earlier this year and am almost through - I applied to all schools and am just waiting for interviews)

A summary of my past couple of years (sorry it is a bit long):

My long-held interest in mental health and human condition led me to major in neuroscience in college. I considered MD or a PhD. in clinical psych initially but ultimately decided on clinical psych Ph.D. because I wanted to do research and psychotherapy, rather than become a physician. I applied to clinical psych Ph.D. programs the fall after graduating from college and got rejected from everywhere, after which I found a job in clinical research.

While working in clinical research and also talking to many post-docs and assistant professors, I became very disillusioned with the idea of Ph.D. and started to explore other careers in healthcare. I still applied (my second round) to Ph.D. programs in the 2017-2018 cycle but at that point, I had lost most of my enthusiasm for clinical psych Ph.D. I just wanted to give it another shot.

Early this year, I decided to pursue dentistry and started preparing for dental school application.
While I was in the middle of studying for dental school exam, I received an offer from one of the Ph.D. programs I applied. After a week of painful deliberation, I decided to accept the offer since I still held (although weak) interest or some sort of fancy for the path of clinical psych and at that time I wasn't sure how well I was going to do on the dental school exam.

Fast forward 3 months to today: I did really well on the dental school exam and applied to dental schools. I just need to wait for interview offers. After interviews this fall, admission decisions will be sent out in December.

However, I need to decide whether to go to the ph.D. program or not. My original plan was to go to the Ph.D. program (it is fully funded and I receive a stipend -- although barely enough to make ends meet and i'll need to lower my lifestyle considerably) for at least a semester and then see if and to which dental schools I get accepted in December.

However, I am beginning to think maybe I should drop the ph.d. completely and not go through the hassle of moving to another state and starting on a journey that I am no longer committed to.

The truth, is I know that in logical/economical/practical/realistic sense, dental school is the right answer... however, I still have lingering sympathy for the old me who dreamed of becoming a clinical psychologist, despite having become disillusioned with the field of psych. ph.d.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's quite selfish to start a PhD program knowing that you're just waiting to see how good the offers are from dental schools and will bail on the PhD program after a semester or two. It's a significant waste of time, money, and effort to train doctoral students only to have them quit.

This is all incredibly inconsiderate to both the program itself and whichever applicant would have received the admission offer had you declined. Honestly, you really should not have accepted the offer in the first place considering that you were preparing for dental school admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I reading correctly that you have already accepted the funded PhD program offer, and now, two months before you are to start, you want to ditch it on the hopes of getting into dental school (you did well on the exams, but I've got no clue about dentistry admissions and what that means for your chances of actually being accepted).

FYI that you will be nuking that bridge if you decline the PhD acceptance now, and they'd never let you back in if you don't get into dental school in Dec. You'll be screwing another person out of a funded program, and faculty will have declined other competitive applicants for your offer. So, it's a pretty selfish and crappy thing to do.

That doesn't necessarily make it the wrong thing for your own personal interest, of course. @psych.meout just posted on this thread I see, but a reality is that doctoral and professional programs all have different admissions times and it's not like a normal job search, so a person who wants to cover more than one base can run into something like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's quite selfish to start a PhD program knowing that you're just waiting to see how good the offers are from dental schools and will bail on the PhD program after a semester or two. It's a significant waste of time, money, and effort to train doctoral students only to have them quit.

This is all incredibly inconsiderate to both the program itself and whichever applicant would have received the admission offer had you declined. Honestly, you really should not have accepted the offer in the first place considering that you were preparing for dental school admissions.

Yes, I feel very guilty to have accepted the offer and am struggling to find out what it is I really want.. I think i held onto both options because I wasn't sure which I wanted. At the time of accepting the offer, I still wasn't sure if I really wanted to change career to dentistry; there was a chance that I may drop the dentistry route and continue with the phd.

Am I reading correctly that you have already accepted the funded PhD program offer, and now, two months before you are to start, you want to ditch it on the hopes of getting into dental school (you did well on the exams, but I've got no clue about dentistry admissions and what that means for your chances of actually being accepted).

FYI that you will be nuking that bridge if you decline the PhD acceptance now, and they'd never let you back in if you don't get into dental school in Dec. You'll be screwing another person out of a funded program, and faculty will have declined other competitive applicants for your offer. So, it's a pretty selfish and crappy thing to do.

That doesn't necessarily make it the wrong thing for your own personal interest, of course. @psych.meout just posted on this thread I see, but a reality is that doctoral and professional programs all have different admissions times and it's not like a normal job search, so a person who wants to cover more than one base can run into something like this.

Hi MCParent, thank you for your reply. I agree that it is a selfish and crappy thing that I've done, but I didn't post this thread to be bashed. I know that I have been indecisive, and as the result of my indecisiveness, some negative consequences have occurred. I know that, and I am regretful.

I am trying to ask what you think is the action that I should take now. I really don't know whether I should pursue clinical psychology vs. dentistry. Both seem to be great paths that I will enjoy.

If you are a psychologist, have you ever regretted your decision, and do you enjoy what you are doing now? What advice would you give to aspiring psychologists?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi MCParent, thank you for your reply. I agree that it is a selfish and crappy thing that I've done, but I didn't post this thread to be bashed. I know that I have been indecisive, and as the result of my indecisiveness, some negative consequences have occurred. I know that, and I am regretful.

I am trying to ask what you think is the action that I should take now. I really don't know whether I should pursue clinical psychology vs. dentistry. Both seem to be great paths that I will enjoy.

If you are a psychologist, have you ever regretted your decision, and do you enjoy what you are doing now? What advice would you give to aspiring psychologists?
You’re so far along on both that I’d say you’re pretty much assured to have regret in either case. When you have the stress of internship apps and see psych average salaries you’ll kick yourself, and when dental school gets rough and you see overhead costs for practices you’ll kick yourself. So, is prepare for that.

If I’m reading this right you also have one definite (PhD acceptance) and one possibility (dental acceptance). I don’t know enough about dental admissions to know what your actual chances are. I don’t know how you feel about possibilities versus sure things.

Other than that—I dunno maybe run over to a career counseling center and get a strong interest inventory done, or take a career assessment online. But basically I’d say even if you make the “right” choice you will have easy access to a way to kick yourself when you have difficulty in whichever one you end up with, so be ready for that fun trip.

You’re so far along on both that I’d say you’re pretty much assured to have regret in either case. When you have the stress of internship apps and see psych average salaries you’ll kick yourself, and when dental school gets rough and you see overhead costs for practices you’ll kick yourself. So, is prepare for that.

If I’m reading this right you also have one definite (PhD acceptance) and one possibility (dental acceptance). I don’t know enough about dental admissions to know what your actual chances are. I don’t know how you feel about possibilities versus sure things.

Other than that—I dunno maybe run over to a career counseling center and get a strong interest inventory done, or take a career assessment online. But basically I’d say even if you make the “right” choice you will have easy access to a way to kick yourself when you have difficulty in whichever one you end up with, so be ready for that fun trip.

I agree. All life choices (including major ones like career path) entail significant sacrifice. I would think that a good question for the original poster would be, 'Which series of sacrifices (hardships) are most likely to lead to a meaningful life?' If it's about money, job security, prestige, etc., I'd have to say go be a dentist. If it's about something less tangible, the answer might be different. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with the relatively lower salary/prestige (or whatever) of being a psychologist because I really dig what I do (I get to apply scientific knowledge to collaboratively consult with people and help them frame and address their problems in living--pretty cool way to spend the afternoon). I think I'd find a dental career pretty boring, but that's just me.

I just looked up the median income and debt for dentists....

This might be the odd case where becoming a psychologist is a better financial choice.

I just looked up the median income and debt for dentists....

This might be the odd case where becoming a psychologist is a better financial choice.

Really? I know you don't want to end up like Mike Meru in the WSJ article recently and that dental school is the most expensive professional school. However, I am surprised about that analysis. Then again I assume you mean funded programs and not pay your way PsyD, correct?

Really? I know you don't want to end up like Mike Meru in the WSJ article recently and that dental school is the most expensive professional school. However, I am surprised about that analysis. Then again I assume you mean funded programs and not pay your way PsyD, correct?
Well, insurance coverage for dental issues generally seem paltry compared to regular medical insurance, so maybe there are reimbursement issues for many dentists compared to physicians.

Hi Jubilee17:

As someone who is about to begin my internship year (the last year of my clinical psych Ph.D. program), I would recommend that you pursue dentistry if that is where your passion lies. I know very little about how difficult dentistry programs are, but clinical psychology programs are extremely rigorous. Not saying at all that they are easier or harder than dentistry programs, but if you are at all conflicted about pursuing your Ph.D., it will likely be difficult to keep up the motivation and drive needed to persist in a Ph.D. program. Either way, good luck with whichever avenue you land on!

Reactions: 1 user
Well, insurance coverage for dental issues generally seem paltry compared to regular medical insurance, so maybe there are reimbursement issues for many dentists compared to physicians.

That's really why I am bullish on dentistry salaries. No insurance means more cash payments as people need teeth fixed all the time. Less worry about declining reimbursement from insurance.

Hello everyone, I am in a desperate need of advice/thoughts/and or encouragements regarding whether I should reject a clinical psychology Ph.D. offer (after having accepted it initially earlier this year) to fully commit to the new career path of dentistry (which I've worked on paving since earlier this year and am almost through - I applied to all schools and am just waiting for interviews)

A summary of my past couple of years (sorry it is a bit long):

My long-held interest in mental health and human condition led me to major in neuroscience in college. I considered MD or a PhD. in clinical psych initially but ultimately decided on clinical psych Ph.D. because I wanted to do research and psychotherapy, rather than become a physician. I applied to clinical psych Ph.D. programs the fall after graduating from college and got rejected from everywhere, after which I found a job in clinical research.

While working in clinical research and also talking to many post-docs and assistant professors, I became very disillusioned with the idea of Ph.D. and started to explore other careers in healthcare. I still applied (my second round) to Ph.D. programs in the 2017-2018 cycle but at that point, I had lost most of my enthusiasm for clinical psych Ph.D. I just wanted to give it another shot.

Early this year, I decided to pursue dentistry and started preparing for dental school application.
While I was in the middle of studying for dental school exam, I received an offer from one of the Ph.D. programs I applied. After a week of painful deliberation, I decided to accept the offer since I still held (although weak) interest or some sort of fancy for the path of clinical psych and at that time I wasn't sure how well I was going to do on the dental school exam.

Fast forward 3 months to today: I did really well on the dental school exam and applied to dental schools. I just need to wait for interview offers. After interviews this fall, admission decisions will be sent out in December.

However, I need to decide whether to go to the ph.D. program or not. My original plan was to go to the Ph.D. program (it is fully funded and I receive a stipend -- although barely enough to make ends meet and i'll need to lower my lifestyle considerably) for at least a semester and then see if and to which dental schools I get accepted in December.

However, I am beginning to think maybe I should drop the ph.d. completely and not go through the hassle of moving to another state and starting on a journey that I am no longer committed to.

The truth, is I know that in logical/economical/practical/realistic sense, dental school is the right answer... however, I still have lingering sympathy for the old me who dreamed of becoming a clinical psychologist, despite having become disillusioned with the field of psych. ph.d.
Hi, just wondering what you decided to go through with. I’m kinda the opposite where I majored in neuroscience for undergrad and I’ve been preparing for dental school my whole life but have become kinda worn down by the process. I never really considered a different career until now but I did really love my neuroscience classes in undergrad and recently have been researching a career in neuropsychology. Both have considerable pros and cons which makes it hard for me to choose but at the same time I don’t want to cling to the idea of dentistry just because thats what I’ve thought of for so long

Hi, just wondering what you decided to go through with. I’m kinda the opposite where I majored in neuroscience for undergrad and I’ve been preparing for dental school my whole life but have become kinda worn down by the process. I never really considered a different career until now but I did really love my neuroscience classes in undergrad and recently have been researching a career in neuropsychology. Both have considerable pros and cons which makes it hard for me to choose but at the same time I don’t want to cling to the idea of dentistry just because thats what I’ve thought of for so long
It looks like the member hasn't been "seen" on SDN since 2019, so unfortunately, the chances may be small that they'll be back to answer your question. I'd also be interested to hear what they ultimately chose, though.

In your case, much may hinge on what you've done to this point to be competitive for clinical psych programs. The requisite coursework isn't going to be as heavy as dental school, but you're going to want to have at least a year or two of research experience if you're looking at funded programs. Neuropsych also tends to be one of the more competitive areas in psychology, although your neuroscience major is a good fit.

What is it that you actually see yourself wanting to do day-to-day? The daily life of your typical neuropsychologist is going to be pretty substantially different from the daily life of your typical dentist.

Coincidentally, just today a dentist friend of mine was talking about how they were able to make a killing in a less-geographically-desirable area because there wasn't any competition, which set them up well financially. But they're struggling to make ends meet with their dental practice income here (which isn't exactly a metropolitan giant of a city, but has an overpopulation of dentists); luckily, the person has that prior money and other income sources. N of 1 and all that, of course, since I know another dentist in a bigger city who seems to be doing fine.

There's 6+ month waits for dental appointments in my medium size city. They're making bank here.