Clinic work vs volunteer work vs research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCo3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked already, but how is clinic work actually judged in comparison to volunteer work?
I ask because I'm planning on working in a private clinic soon as an undergrad (hands on experience + shadowing two long time practicing doctors). Currently it's a challenge to get a position as a regular volunteer at my university's hospital, and so that kind of turns me a away even though I would love to do so work there. Also, can actual clinic work be a substitute for research, and help balance out a somewhat low (3.4) gpa?
I plan on doing all three, just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how is clinic work actually judged in comparison to volunteer work?
I ask because I'm planning on working in a private clinic soon as an undergrad (hands on experience + shadowing two long time practicing doctors). Currently it's a challenge to get a position as a regular volunteer at my university's hospital, and so that kind of turns me a away even though I would love to do so work there. Also, can actual clinic work be a substitute for research, and help balance out a somewhat low (3.4) gpa?

Any form of clinical experience would suffice, as long as you're near patients. Volunteering just adds this "altruistic" aspect to your character, but this clinical experience can be in the form of a job as well.

Research isn't mandatory on an app, but if you want to have some success at top schools, it's highly recommended.

EC's and GPA are hard to mix. Just try your best to get that 3.4 to a 3.5 or ideally, a 3.6, and you're good to go.

@Aerus

do you know what percent of students actually land a job in a clinic? I mean it feels like it's something that not to large of a percentage actually get to partake in.

That is definitely the goal!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Aerus

do you know what percent of students actually land a job in a clinic? I mean it feels like it's something that not to large of a percentage actually get to partake in.

I don't have percentages, but I can't imagine how this would be significant. It's your ability to describe your experiences and how they have shaped your goals in wanting to go into medicine that matter, not how common it is for premeds to work in clinics.

@Aerus

Pretty sure a lot of pre-meds get clinical jobs over the summer. No run of the mill activity will help balance out a low GPA. Clinical exposure is pretty much expected out of us as applicants. You won't earn any brownie points because you landed a paying gig instead of volunteering. In fact, volunteering will probably look better.