Clinical anatomy review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C6789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing questions since January and still can't get my anatomy average above 40%. I bought HY Gross Anatomy, but have realized that it's not the gross aspect of it I'm having trouble with - I can't make the clinical connections (what injury would damage what, how lesions present, etc...).

FA recommended Underground Clinical Vignettes: Anatomy, but there were no reviews for it on Amazon. Has any used this and found it helpful, or have another book to suggest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomy is not that high yield for Step 1, so don't spend too much time on it. Know the stuff in FA, that's probably about it. I don't have my FA on me at the time, so I'm not sure if this mnemonic is in there, but I'll post it anyway just in case it isn't.

For upper limb nerve lesions, remember DR. CUMA. Drop Radial, Claw Ulnar, Median Apehand

Know about winged scapula, foot drop, and assoc nerves. Also, what nerves will be lesioned if bone X is broken. Hope this helps.

is all of that covered in FA by any chance?

(i dont have it in front of me right now)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, it's in FA.

Do you think there is a major difference between FA 2009 and 2010, I plan to just use FA only for anatomy. I m really dreading having to go back and learn anatomy... would be awesome if FA covered like 75%?? more?

Do you think there is a major difference between FA 2009 and 2010, I plan to just use FA only for anatomy. I m really dreading having to go back and learn anatomy... would be awesome if FA covered like 75%?? more?

First of all, FA barely changes from year to year. It's a money-making scam to call it "updated."

Fortunately, any edition of FA will have most of the anatomy you need for USMLE1. Anatomy never changes, and it's extremely low-yield for USMLE1. I've honestly talked to people who believe they didn't see a single "pure" anatomy question on the Step.

Thanks everyone :) I guess won't really stress over it then. I'll just hit FA hard and see what happens.

I've been doing questions since January and still can't get my anatomy average above 40%. I bought HY Gross Anatomy, but have realized that it's not the gross aspect of it I'm having trouble with - I can't make the clinical connections (what injury would damage what, how lesions present, etc...).

FA recommended Underground Clinical Vignettes: Anatomy, but there were no reviews for it on Amazon. Has any used this and found it helpful, or have another book to suggest?

Thanks!
I remember somebody on this forum mentioning the chapter summaries in BRS Gross Anatomy. It is really helpful for clinical anatomy. It's a quick read too.. chapter summaries and the take away points is all you need to read in that book for review.

Ah yes I heard that too.

Which one has better MRI/CT? High Yield or BRS? I have definitely gotten some questions that are like...dude gets a ct...what's this ---->>>>>>

o_O
I'm not stressing out too much about the MRI/CT stuff. I guess it would make sense to go over the pictures in whatever book you intend to use for review (BRS or HY). I'm counting on UW for these types of questions because it will be related to pathology.

I'd guess (but really have no idea) that knowing what structures are at T2 (traceal bifurcation, blah blah blah) might be worth knowing (but again will probably only get you one point max, vs. our second anatomy exam on which there were no fewer than 8 questions I believe based on "guy got stabbed in the chest at T2 [or another level], what got f*cked up?").

But, I've never seen one of them on Kaplan yet, so maybe not. All their anatomy questions so far are brachial plexus-oriented it seems.

HY has alot of CT/MRIs and clinical correlates in general
BRS is way too long in my opinion.

(not that I have picked up either book recently lol)

I think I'm probably just going to spend a few hours the week before the step doing the couple hundred anatomy questions that are in qbank and uworld and completely neglect it until then, same goes for biostats/behavioral/embryo. I really feel like it's not worth it to do several passes for it. Talking from no real experience here though.

Last edited:

Quick bump, I'm about to pull the trigger and buy BRS Anatomy unless someone has better advice.

I did well in anatomy but forget plenty obviously. I have big Moore and could probably go through a lot of the blue boxes? Not sure how that would compare to the stuff at the end of chapters of BRS (are the end of chapter reviews actual questions? or bullet point info? or what?)

Just looking for some final input to make me feel less stupid about buying an entire review book for Step I anatomy.

Quick bump, I'm about to pull the trigger and buy BRS Anatomy unless someone has better advice.

I did well in anatomy but forget plenty obviously. I have big Moore and could probably go through a lot of the blue boxes? Not sure how that would compare to the stuff at the end of chapters of BRS (are the end of chapter reviews actual questions? or bullet point info? or what?)

Just looking for some final input to make me feel less stupid about buying an entire review book for Step I anatomy.
You don't have to buy anything, that's what the internet is for ;)