Clinical Case of USMLE Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudent219

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I answer questions about cases such as "A 26 year old male was brought in etc etc what diagnosis is this". I honestly have no clue, I have a good understanding of the basic clinical sciences but I'm not sure how to put it together to understand symptoms. Any resources recommended? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

This is exactly what your school should be teaching you. This is literally the crux of practicing medicine - people come in with stories and you have to figure out what’s going on. Are you at a US medical school?

In a nutshell, my standardized test approach is to read the last sentence of a question first and then skim the answer choices. I do this to know what kind of question it is - diagnosis, next step, random factoid, etc - and then the answers broadly tell me the scope and subject area (ie. if I see five diffferent heart conditions I know what system I’m looking at, or if I see a mix of heart and lung and renal then I know my job is to distinguish them).

For a diagnosis question you are looking for clues. Already from your prompt I know it’s a 26 year old male so I’ve excluded all GYN problems and most diseases of older adults. This question is most likely going to be looking for an acute infectious issue, surgical issue (appy, Chole, hernia, torsion), trauma, or congenital issue of some sort. The answer choices would quickly narrow down what I’m looking for.

If it’s a trauma then they have to give you enough info to distinguish the different injuries listed. They can give you an X-ray, physical exam findings, and of course the history for mechanism of injury can all help point you toward the answer. It’ll be descriptions of various tests and you’ll have to understand the anatomy and exam well enough to figure out which thing is broken or torn.

Step 1 is much more focused on your knowledge of basic sciences so the trauma question may actually be designed to test your knowledge of upper extremity anatomy. The infectious one may be looking to test your understanding of the microbiology of common pathogens. Regardless, it’s still a matter of you looking for clues and ruling things in or out.

Reactions: 5 users
Practice questions is really good for getting the hang of this, I think. I would get a subscription and do some practice questions corresponding to the course you're currently in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Multiple choice exam questions like these aren't that hard. There's a definite answer and they're going to go give you clues in the question to point you in the right direction. So as long as you studied the material you should be able to pick out the salient facts and choose the right answer. What you should be worried about is being able to do this on the fly when you see a real patient. You need to start broad, narrow down based on a working differential and come up with the most likely. Then order tests, labs, imaging etc to rule in or out your differentials.

Reactions: 2 users
This is exactly what your school should be teaching you. This is literally the crux of practicing medicine - people come in with stories and you have to figure out what’s going on. Are you at a US medical school?

In a nutshell, my standardized test approach is to read the last sentence of a question first and then skim the answer choices. I do this to know what kind of question it is - diagnosis, next step, random factoid, etc - and then the answers broadly tell me the scope and subject area (ie. if I see five diffferent heart conditions I know what system I’m looking at, or if I see a mix of heart and lung and renal then I know my job is to distinguish them).

For a diagnosis question you are looking for clues. Already from your prompt I know it’s a 26 year old male so I’ve excluded all GYN problems and most diseases of older adults. This question is most likely going to be looking for an acute infectious issue, surgical issue (appy, Chole, hernia, torsion), trauma, or congenital issue of some sort. The answer choices would quickly narrow down what I’m looking for.

If it’s a trauma then they have to give you enough info to distinguish the different injuries listed. They can give you an X-ray, physical exam findings, and of course the history for mechanism of injury can all help point you toward the answer. It’ll be descriptions of various tests and you’ll have to understand the anatomy and exam well enough to figure out which thing is broken or torn.

Step 1 is much more focused on your knowledge of basic sciences so the trauma question may actually be designed to test your knowledge of upper extremity anatomy. The infectious one may be looking to test your understanding of the microbiology of common pathogens. Regardless, it’s still a matter of you looking for clues and ruling things in or out.
It's 2019 bruh, no you can't

/s

Reactions: 4 users
How do I answer questions about cases such as "A 26 year old male was brought in etc etc what diagnosis is this". I honestly have no clue, I have a good understanding of the basic clinical sciences but I'm not sure how to put it together to understand symptoms. Any resources recommended? Thanks! :)

You're either starting too early or you haven't done enough practice questions yet.

I’m honestly gonna take the L on any questions like that. I dont have time to figure out what gender the person is or isn’t and what they were yesterday, with only 72 seconds a question. If they want to tell me outright the patient is trans fine, otherwise I’m ruling out GYN stuff on a male, and if that knocks me down one point so be it.

Thankfully the test lags societal norms by quite a few years!

Have you done organ blocks/physio/pathophys yet? For each disease, your med school should be teaching you its epidemiology, pathogenesis, symptoms, etc. Symptoms are related to pathogenesis and physiology and you should be able to figure out what symptoms a disease may cause by its pathophys. For example, a parathyroid adenoma is going to secrete PTH, which causes hypercalcemia, which then leads to various signs and symptoms.

If your school has an academic resource center and/or peer tutoring, I'd recommend using those services. It sounds like you need to work with someone on your test-taking strategy by going through practice questions, and potentially also the way you are studying.

I’m honestly gonna take the L on any questions like that. I dont have time to figure out what gender the person is or isn’t and what they were yesterday, with only 72 seconds a question. If they want to tell me outright the patient is trans fine, otherwise I’m ruling out GYN stuff on a male, and if that knocks me down one point so be it.

Androgen insensitivity syndrome

They did a whole episode about it on House

"This is high yield for the purpose of board examinations" -Sattar

Androgen insensitivity syndrome

They did a whole episode about it on House

"This is high yield for the purpose of board examinations" -Sattar

True. Frequently those questions won’t definitely say a gender and will qualify it with something like “phenotypically male” or whatnot. That or the stem will evolve in such a way as to make it obvious they’re asking a question about gender differentiation.

Oh if the stem says I’m supposed to question gender fine. I’m more so saying with I’m not answering questions where we cant assume their gender based upon their chromosomes and we were just supposed to know that somehow

True. Frequently those questions won’t definitely say a gender and will qualify it with something like “phenotypically male” or whatnot. That or the stem will evolve in such a way as to make it obvious they’re asking a question about gender differentiation.

This is the purpose of practice questions. You get to a point where you just think "young adult male....bad lungs.....bad kidneys....which antibody is goodpastures again?"

IMO, Uworld seems to give you the stereotypical presentation of different diseases in the question stem. You should probably know all the pathognomonic identifiers of most conditions that are tested. and know the common presentations of conditions that are testable and how to differentiate between two that are similar

So when they say

bronze skin and diabetes
machine like murmur
nasal polyps in a child
cherry red macula
overly flexible joints

you should know what they are pointing towards and how to differentiate if there are two similar conditions.
Once you have that it is easy to use anything else in the stem to exclude other items.