clinical case studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillacone

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am looking to start a group at my medical school that will expose new students to clinical scenarios/case studies and help them develop their problem solving skills in a clinical context.
does anyone out there recommend or know about a format of a similar program already established at their medical school?
thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Still - yes. Its integrated into the curriculum at our school. There are 2 parts - one is PBL (problem based learning) where we recieve a case (over the course of a week). After recieving each section, we go over the information that we have, come up with a differential diagnosis list, a list of tests that we want to order, and a list of "learning issues" - for example, in anatomy, a secretary may come in with parasthesia in her hands. Learning issues would include: anatomy of the hand, causes of parasthesia, dermatomes of the hand, perhaps the brachial plexus..you get the idea. As the case progresses, you keep eliminating things off the ddx list until you come up with a final diagnosis or the week is over. then the whole class gets together to review the case and see what groups came up with what - and why. The other part involves the practice of medicine class that we take - its not so much diagnosis, its more physical exam and history. However, it does introduce us to normal vs abnormal findings - some people in our standardized patient program have some interesting abnormal findings. I hope this helps. I cant give you any details of real cases from PBL, since they're sequestered.

Star