TJMAXX

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
How did you study it if you have done your boards?
Do we have to read Quick Compendium cover to cover for that part?
Too much to read for me.. any suggestions will be appreciated.:naughty:

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
How did you study it if you have done your boards?
Do we have to read Quick Compendium cover to cover for that part?
Too much to read for me.. any suggestions will be appreciated.:naughty:
Actually, yes I would recommend being very familiar with Quick Compendium. Also it would be high yield to look at the pictures/images from the early parts of Henry's, particularly the graphs. Know the captions to these pictures and the ones in the Chemistry chapters.

OP
T

TJMAXX

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Actually, yes I would recommend being very familiar with Quick Compendium. Also it would be high yield to look at the pictures/images from the early parts of Henry's, particularly the graphs. Know the captions to these pictures and the ones in the Chemistry chapters.
Thanks! That's very helpful.

Pathologee

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If you can get the Osler MP3s try listening to those in your car instead of music. They are good for Microbiology and chemistry. I think the BBguy has a podcast. Its all about passive/subliminal learning.

sohsie

15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Step 1: read quick compendium
Step 2:
Step 3: profit!

Seriously though
Step 1: dont try to read henry
Step 2: read quick compendium
Step 3: go to step 2

Also try to do a lot of questions (past rise exams, henry question book)

MirkoCrocop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wouldn't totally discount henry - the charts and images can be very relevant if you are looking for high yield stuff, just like the images in micro texts.
But Henry's is what, 1500pages with charts on every page? So there are some high yield charts among the 2000 or so that are In there. I didn't read Henry's, save some of the hb electrophoresis stuff, and that just intimidated me. I used the compendium, virtually memorized, and 0sler, however chem was probably my weakest subject. There are just some subjects that have no realistic strategy to make a strength.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
But Henry's is what, 1500pages with charts on every page? So there are some high yield charts among the 2000 or so that are In there. I didn't read Henry's, save some of the hb electrophoresis stuff, and that just intimidated me. I used the compendium, virtually memorized, and 0sler, however chem was probably my weakest subject. There are just some subjects that have no realistic strategy to make a strength.
I too used compendium and osier tapes as my sole study sources. I had gifted mp3s of osler lectures that I listened to for about 6-9 months whenever I would work out at the gym or jog. Some I listened to 4-5 times.

Then about 4-5 months before the exam I read clinical compendium 4 times and took notes twice, and when I said "read" it, I really read it, like total focus on in a quiet room.

It sounds painful but actually it was relatively painless and I am a cp diplomat at least for a few more years until I have to do it again.

Last edited:

oldfatman

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I too used compendium and osier tapes as my sole study sources. I had gifted mp3s of osler lectures that I listened to for about 6-9 months whenever I would work out at the gym or jog. Some I listened to 4-5 times.

Then about 4-5 months before the exam I read clinical compendium 4 times and took notes twice, and when I said "read" it, I really read it, like total focus on in a quiet room.

It sounds painful but actually it was relatively painless and I am a cp diplomat at least for a few more years until I have to do it again.
It's all fun and games until someone makes you a Clinical Chemistry medical director and you start going on CAP inspections. Trust me, investing time now in CP will pay off later.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
It's all fun and games until someone makes you a Clinical Chemistry medical director and you start going on CAP inspections. Trust me, investing time now in CP will pay off later.
I'll just take my compendium with me.

BrainPathology

of Gnomeregon.
7+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2009
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
I found the companion question book to be extremely helpful as well as the Harr book "Clinical Laboratory Science Review" If you go through both of those books and read/understand all the question discussions you'll come to a point where you start spotting mistakes in both books. At that point you're becoming ready to take on the board exam. The questions and notes from the ASCP review course were also very helpful to me.

I actually didn't read from page one to page last of any book. I did questions and when I didn't understand why I was wrong (or had guessed correctly) then I would read the relevant section. Reading from cover to cover of even a 50 page book is usually useless to me. If you're the same those sets of questions I mentioned should help a lot.

I'll also add that this strategy made the clinical part of the exam a LOT less difficult than I expected. I was 20 - 30 questions into the written portion before I had to stop and think hard about my choices.

Torsed

Deo Vindice.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I did compendium, baby Henry (the one you can write in), and Osler notes. Didn't crack big Henry reading for boards (though I did look at topics occasionally through residency).

Don't worry you have a 3 in 4 chance of passing! :)

Odd thing I noticed was the room was packed for AP and only about half full for CP. Good luck friend!