clinical experience abroad @ Jefferson/BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightnk102

Wild Type
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming MS1 trying to choose between Jefferson and BU. I have a great interest in practicing medicine in developing countries, and would like to get my MPH in International Health somewhere along the way. Both schools have MD/MPH programs (Jefferson has a joint program with JHU, Boston U. has its own MPH program).

Considering that I'd like to gain clinical experience abroad during the summer after MS1 and also during fourth year electives, are there any distinct advanges of one medical school over the other? Is one school more friendly towards abroad opportunites (in terms of funding, ease of finding opportunities, faculty that have projects abroad, etc.)?

I've sent a few emails to students who led tours at the respective schools, but they didn't have a lot of background, so I'm hoping to get more of a candid response here.

All responses are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, you don't have to get your MPH at your med school. You can take off a year between MS3 and MS4 to do an MPH almost anywhere - most PH schools will accept your status as a medical student and allow you to do a one year program. However, it's probably easier to get into an MPH program if you're already enrolled at an affiliated medical school. I don't know much about how Jefferson and BU compare in offering abroad opportunites (you could probably just check out each school's website) but Johns Hopkins has an outstanding MPH program that has a concentration in International Health (and so does Harvard).

Hi there,
I'm Jeff student, and its very easy to go abroad during your first and second years. We even have a program where you can apply to have them help fund it. I decided not to do it, so I don't know all the details, but I know a lot of people in my class are planning on doing it, so from my rather limited experience, its very easy to do at jefferson.

rebeclette said:
Hi there,
I'm Jeff student, and its very easy to go abroad during your first and second years. We even have a program where you can apply to have them help fund it. I decided not to do it, so I don't know all the details, but I know a lot of people in my class are planning on doing it, so from my rather limited experience, its very easy to do at jefferson.

Thanks Rebeclette. Does this funding also apply for international elective rotations during fourth year?

Does anyone know about how easy/hard it is to get funded at BU?