Clinical experience and EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUBDUBB

Freakaholic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I break any informal rules :)

I just recently (2002) graduated from college; I will be taking MCATS in april 2003 and then apply to medical school for 2003-2004 cycle. My grades are average at best (3.5cum, 3.45sci) and I have NO (i mean NO) clinical experience. I plan to volunteer at a hospital, volunteer at planned parenthood and tutor inner city kids. An acquaintance of mine at Hopkins (he's a student who conducts interviews) told me I shouldn't even apply until I have a significant amount of clinical experience under my belt. I would appreciate any feedback??

Thanks,

Lubdubb

P.S. The extent of my EC's : research with a bio professor for a summer, and I was an undergrad laboratory TA for a bio class.

Members don't see this ad.

you might want to shadow a doctor too

I don't think that you are in trouble yet with respect to your limited clinical experience, but you need to get cracking NOW. The fastest way to get started, as vivekap mentioned, is to shadow a doctor for few hours a week. If you live near a teaching hospital this is very easy. Just find a doc you are interested in and call him/her. They are used to having students and residents, so adding another shadow is no big deal. Once you get started doing that, get volunteering in a clinical setting.

If you get going soon, you should be fine when you submit your app in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your insight. I know there's more than two people on this board, please post any ideas for clinical experience!

Thank You,

Lubdubb

I think that you may be overlooking the main point of extracurricular activities. The reason you need them is that so you can have experience in different fields and experiences to learn and draw from for the rest of your life. The most rapidly approaching oppurtunity for you to use these experiences will be your interview. I know that its old news, but its not how many things you have, its what you pull out of them, so make sure you've had enough time to learn from your ECs before you think they're going to do you much good, and not just put them on your application for the sake of not having a lot of bad space. I really hope this helps. :cool:

There are many EC's people do for fun, and I by all means do these. But many medical schools want to know if you have seen what life in the profession is like. I would definitely recommend doing some clinical work in addition to your existing EC's. This sort of clinical experience has become a pseudo-requirement for many schools, and it would be in your best interest to at least check out the profession before devoting your life to it.

You graduated this year...so what are you doing now? Getting clinical experience doesn't have to be by volunteering. Are you working in a job related to medicine? Going to grad school?

I worked two summers in a psych ward and three in surgery. Just call your local hospital and see what positions are available. It is very easy to get great experience and contacts.

i watch a full regiment of er and scrubs. i've missed about 3 episodes of scrubs - does this indicate a lack of committment?:confused:

you're fine man - go hang around a hospital for a bit - call up a doc and tell her you've heard shes great and you'll be in like flynn. its not about how many hours you've done it for - just be able to take something away from (and if you are lucky, contribute to) the experience and you'll be good.

-jot

Originally posted by jot
i watch a full regiment of er and scrubs. i've missed about 3 episodes of scrubs - does this indicate a lack of committment?:confused:

jot, I'm very disappointed in you. Even if it's because you had interviews, you could have taped it or gotten someone else to do so (as I have been doing for someone). :)

Originally posted by jot

i'm calling wash u and baylor and telling them to strongly consider rescinding your acceptances. I am appalled :p

Originally posted by jot
call up a doc and tell her you've heard shes great and you'll be in like flynn. its not about how many hours you've done it for - just be able to take something away from (and if you are lucky, contribute to) the experience and you'll be good.

is this only for jobs or does this apply generally in... other aspects of life?

Look into summer fellowship/internship programs at hospitals. I know there are several available some with stipends some without. Do an internet search maybe, or check with your pre-med advisor who could maybe give you some references to programs where other students from your school went.

This is the easiest way to get a lot of exposure quickly-and it shows initiative that you went out and secured a position.

Go to google and search for- medical internships for undergraduates.....there are alot there