Clinical experience as an EMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiayo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been an active EMT since September 2009. I go once a week, for my 12 hour shift, and it's volunteer.

Does this count as clinical experience (even if some nights we don't get any calls?)

I'm just trying to see how I would put together all my final clinical hours.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, all those should count as clinical experience.

Fedekz nremt-p

I agree. I counted it all as clinical experience and as volunteer experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up getting quizzed in my interview about the number of hours I spend volunteering weekly (as an FF/EMT)... she wanted to know that vs. the number of hours I spent shadowing, and other clinical experience. But I agree, it counts! I would just be prepared to talk a bit about what you've learned from it.

Sweet, thanks so much everyone!

Volunteer, clinical, 12 hours per week, 9/2009 - present. Pretty straight forward when you fill out the AMCAS application just give EMT it's own slot and it is simple.

EMS = Easy Money Sleeping!

Is there a section where I put the # of clinical hours?
If so, then do I do 12 x # of weeks?

In the "experience" section of the AMCAS there are fields to be completed. One asks "averge number of hours per week". Two other fields: start date (month/yr) and end date (month/year). Those of us on the adcom have to do the rest of the math in our head (4 weeks in a month times number of months between the start date & end date times number of hours per week).

Last edited:
In the "experience" section of the AMCAS their are fields to be completed. One asks "averge number of hours per week". Two other fields: start date (month/yr) and end date (month/year). Those of us on the adcom have to do the rest of the math in our head (4 weeks in a month times number of months between the start date & end date times number of hours per week).

Oooh got it, thanks so much LizzyM!