Sep 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone, I've been an active EMT since September 2009. I go once a week, for my 12 hour shift, and it's volunteer.

Does this count as clinical experience (even if some nights we don't get any calls?)

I'm just trying to see how I would put together all my final clinical hours.

Thanks!

Fedekz

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yep, all those should count as clinical experience.

Fedekz nremt-p

KTD

5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I agree. I counted it all as clinical experience and as volunteer experience.

Mar 2, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I ended up getting quizzed in my interview about the number of hours I spend volunteering weekly (as an FF/EMT)... she wanted to know that vs. the number of hours I spent shadowing, and other clinical experience. But I agree, it counts! I would just be prepared to talk a bit about what you've learned from it.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Volunteer, clinical, 12 hours per week, 9/2009 - present. Pretty straight forward when you fill out the AMCAS application just give EMT it's own slot and it is simple.

Sep 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Is there a section where I put the # of clinical hours?
If so, then do I do 12 x # of weeks?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
In the "experience" section of the AMCAS there are fields to be completed. One asks "averge number of hours per week". Two other fields: start date (month/yr) and end date (month/year). Those of us on the adcom have to do the rest of the math in our head (4 weeks in a month times number of months between the start date & end date times number of hours per week).

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
In the "experience" section of the AMCAS their are fields to be completed. One asks "averge number of hours per week". Two other fields: start date (month/yr) and end date (month/year). Those of us on the adcom have to do the rest of the math in our head (4 weeks in a month times number of months between the start date & end date times number of hours per week).
Oooh got it, thanks so much LizzyM!