SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Clinical experience fast!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by badasshairday, Apr 27, 2007.

1. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Hi all,

I am applying this June but I feel that I do not have enough clinical experience. I have shadowed an opthalmologist for around 3 weeks. I got to see surgery and see how he interacted with patients... all that good stuff. Also I have volunteered sporadically at a developmental center for the mentally and physically handicapped, but I don't think it would really count as clinical because I wasn't with a doctor or anything.

I will be definately volunteering at the local Children's hopital starting in June or perhaps may be getting a spot at a Planned parenthood clinic. I should be able to continue this until December (i graduate then).

Am I screwed this round because of my lack of clinical experience??? I feel the Planned Parenthood position could help out but I don't know about the volunteering at the Hospital because it feels like I would just be pushing around wheelchairs.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    I am just really concerned because it seems like clinical experience is a must around here.

My GPA is good. MCAT hopefully should be decent considering my practice tests.

I do have lots of research experience and will be publishing a paper in the fall, second author. I also have other good volunteering and lots of tutoring (5 years as a math tutor throughout high school and college).

4. neurofreak

neurofreak 7+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    what are your stats? if you have a great profile you may be able to get by without, but clinical experience is a definite must for all schools, so you may want to think about taking some time off to get a year of work before applying?

5. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    When you guys say clinical experience, what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean volunteering at a hospital?

Shadowing a doctor(did I not do it for long enough)?

I'm going to start volunteering at the hospital soon and by the time interviews come around I should have at least 6 months of volunteering under my belt. And I may actually get a chance to volunteer at a Planned Parenthood clinic at some point. Can I not just put 6 months of volunteering at the hospital on my primary? Also by the time June rolls around I should know if I can get a spot at the Planned Parenthood.

6. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    As far as my background...

Went to a JC for 2 years before transferring to UC Berkeley. I think I got lucky in getting in or they really like my essay because I only had a 3.5 at the JC.

Will be finishing my degree in dec 2007 at UCB. So far my UCB GPA is 3.93
    Hopefully a smidget higher by the time I graduate.

I have letters of recommendations from a well known organic chem professor and one from a physics professor at Berkeley. Also have a non-hardcore-science letter from a anthropology professor at UCB. I hopefully should have a letter from the genetics lab I am researching in also by the time secondaries roll around.

I will have 3 semesters plus 1 summer of research by the time I am done. A paper will be published in fall with my name second.

I was a volunteer for Unite For Site in which I raised well over $1000 dollars to fund an eye program in rural india. Went to India to volunteer with an opthalmologist. I got to see surgeries, do eye tests, screen for cataracts etc. 3 weeks. Still involved with the program, gave a talk about it at stanford.

Worked at a math program throughout high school up to my sophmore year of college. Total of over 5 years.

MCAT is on May 11. Scoring between 31-35 on practice tests so far.

And I have a bunch of candy striping volunteer work, but I don't think thats a big deal...

7. frubeak

frubeak 5+ Year Member

Jan 3, 2007
    It seems that you may actually have enough experience. I know of people who have gotten in with not much experience. Maybe you should follow around a couple more docs from different specialties to show you've been researching different fields in medicine. Also, if you graduate in December, you'll have time during Spring semester to do something medically-related, and could mention those plans during interviews.

8. frubeak

frubeak 5+ Year Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think your activity with Unite for Site just sealed the deal. That'll make up for any lack of experience. I want to do something like that, but can't afford it:(

9. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks for the input. I just feel I do not have a large quantity of clinical experience. I know my work with the opthal was really good quality experience. It was seriously an amazing experience for me and solidified my desire to pursue medicine. But at the same time, I do know it wasn't a lot of time.

I guess I will just add in to my primary that I am volunteering in a hospital as well. Hopefully I get the Planned Parenthood clinic position because I feel that will give me a better experience.

I'm just scared ****less of this whole process.

Thanks again.

10. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    Hey frubreak,

You can do it. Like I said it was all donation money. I didn't spend much on it. I guess I was lucky in that the people I know were really generous and supportive of my decision and decided to donate a lot of dough. I raised nearly 1200$ for the program. Also I raised 500$ out of the 1100$ ticket for my flight. The program took care of my living expenses while I was there (food, place to stay).

I suggest you look into it. Its totally doable(sp?). And like I said, it was a really touching experience for me.

11. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    wow how did you only get a 3.5 at a JC and then a 3.93 at UCB? nice job though... I hear UCB is a killer in the sciences. :thumbup:

12. qtrlifecrisis

qtrlifecrisis Left of the middle 5+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Don't be...this is just the effect SDN has on most people (including myself). Ask yourself this: Were you as scared and neurotic when applying to Cal?

I doubt it, unless you were obsessed with collegeconfidential or whatever.

You made it into college without doing every single thing the folks on collegeconfidential / ivyadmissions etc. say a college applicant should do, and the same will be for med school.

SDN is where the most neurotic pre-meds in the country congregate (again, self included), so try to take everything said here with a grain of salt. You don't have to have GAZILLIONS of hours of clinical experience to get in; just enough to know that you enjoy it and to prove that you have exposure.

13. NickRiviera

NickRiviera MS-Never 2+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Springfield, IL
    1) Get in car accident
    2) Go to E.R.
    3) Profit

14. badasshairday

Apr 6, 2007
    Thanks for the advice guys.