Clinical Experience for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DUDev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am a rising Junior following the Pre-med/pre-dent track. I had never really thought about a career in dentistry until recently, when I shadowed a general dentist for a day. Im still debating between medical and dental school and taking the respective admission exam this summer.

That aside, I was planning on volunteering in a Pediatric Blood and Marrow transplant center, where I would work with the patients and play games with them, listen to them, keep them happy and stressfree, etc. I understand this is more of a 'medical' clinical experience. But my thinking is that it would also suffice and be looked positively on as a clinical experience for dental school admissions?

I also will be shadowing a few pediatric dentists soon and hopefully a few oral surgeons. So i definitely will have dental-specific clinical experience. I was just wondering whether you think this volunteering is a good opportunity in terms of dental school admissions or if I should look for a more dental-oriented volunteering opportunity.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Its volunteer experience and that's always good.

Any and all volunteering experiences are good. If you do go the dental route, it would be good to throw in a dental volunteering activity (or two) as well.