Clinical Experience for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushi328

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be applying to medical school next year. I currently volunteer at my school's athletic training room where we work with athletes in rehab, therapy, taping, etc. We do get a chance to observe orthopedists as they come in twice a week. We also get a chance to evaluate new athlete injuries and devise a plan for them. I love it because I get direct interaction with those I work with.

I was wondering if this counts as clinical experience for medical school or is this not a relevant activity for medical school.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely a great clinical experience, but by itself, it would not be all that adcomms are looking for. In addition, try to volunteer, shadow, or work where you'll have contact with sick people. Your description of these experiences needs to give the committee the impression that you know what being a doctor is all about. Your current clinical experience alone would be sufficient if you wanted to be an athletic trainer. Try to get broad experiences in inpatient, clinic, hospice, and/or nursing home environments.