Clinical Experience In a Rehab Setting....Is It Up to Par?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chevy Chase Fan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been volunteering at a rehab hospital for about 4 months now. I originally picked the place because I wanted to be a physical therapist, but after talking to different PTs and getting some exposure to the profession over the last few months, I've decided its not for me as far as careers go. But the volunteering is solid b/c I get to be around patients all the time, so I'm hesitant to go somewhere else.

Are there better settings for me to get clinical experience than this? Should I look for something else?

One other problem is I want to ask one of the PTs for a letter of recommendation when I eventually do apply to med school, but I'm concerned they might be put-off that I chose medicine over PT (they're under the impression I want to go to PT school). I'm concerned that the PTs might feel a little insulted.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been volunteering at a rehab hospital for about 4 months now. I originally picked the place because I wanted to be a physical therapist, but after talking to different PTs and getting some exposure to the profession over the last few months, I've decided its not for me as far as careers go. But the volunteering is solid b/c I get to be around patients all the time, so I'm hesitant to go somewhere else.

Are there better settings for me to get clinical experience than this? Should I look for something else?

One other problem is I want to ask one of the PTs for a letter of recommendation when I eventually do apply to med school, but I'm concerned they might be put-off that I chose medicine over PT (they're under the impression I want to go to PT school). I'm concerned that the PTs might feel a little insulted.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
I'll shed some light on your question. I worked in a acute rehab center for over a year at one point and yes it is very very good clinical experience. The only place I would say is "better" clinical experience is a level one trauma hospital. Other than that its not that much difference just a bigger building. If your not into seeing all the different injuries and diseases I would stay there its perfect. As for the LOR, I would try and get it from a rehab doc instead...your going to medical school not for PT. I would think its about the same weight as getting a LOR from a RN. IMO.

I would stay where you can get the most patient experience. As for your concerns about the PT, it probably won't be a big deal, they may just ask why, which is a fair question. Im a PT now and applying to med school and have had both a PT and MD write LORs. Just ask and say why...which you should be able to do anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste everyone's time with a letter from any of those folks. Three letters from faculty are really all that's needed at most schools.
really? wow, this really changes my perspective on things. I'm going to seek a doctor to shadow and try to get a recommendation from, but I figured it couldn't hurt to have another health professional whose seen me work hard for a while vouch for my character. Ah well, thanks for the honest feedback.

really? wow, this really changes my perspective on things. I'm going to seek a doctor to shadow and try to get a recommendation from, but I figured it couldn't hurt to have another health professional whose seen me work hard for a while vouch for my character. Ah well, thanks for the honest feedback.

Unless a school specifically says it wants to see a letter from a character witness or a physician, you don't need those. Most physicians you shadow will just say you were courteous, friendly, well-groomed, respectful. Generally not useful as we are going to see these characteristics for ourselves if you interview.

Most physicians you shadow will just say you were courteous, friendly, well-groomed, respectful.
Heh. Sounds like a humane society advert for a dog needing adoption.

Exactly, also, "energetic, enthusiastic, curious".

Most don't mention the big puppy eyes.
"House-trained, and looking for their forever home!" :rolleyes:

I'm just hoping they don't mention the submissive peeing thing. :smuggrin: